Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #81
Roy Finchville

Tire rating, tire age and comfort level generally dictate speed. Take tire rating from tire and go to etrailer.com. I try and stay under 60 mph even though my tires are rated for a higher speed. The few minutes you loose driving faster may save you time and money.
Keeping trailers covered from the sun and elements will reduce dry rot and cracking. I know few people who actually replace tires every 5 or fewer years as recommended.

Also RVIA Safety Training course I went to told us travel trailers/ Fifth Wheels etc. should follow posted limits for trucks. Generally a slower speed. That being said they also called a number of states that indicated it was not enforced at weigh stations, etc. and some places were annoyed when units came through weigh stations or field people did not know what is required or what to enforce.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #82
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Finchville View Post
Tire rating, tire age and comfort level generally dictate speed. Take tire rating from tire and go to etrailer.com. I try and stay under 60 mph even though my tires are rated for a higher speed. The few minutes you loose driving faster may save you time and money.
Keeping trailers covered from the sun and elements will reduce dry rot and cracking. I know few people who actually replace tires every 5 or fewer years as recommended.

Also RVIA Safety Training course I went to told us travel trailers/ Fifth Wheels etc. should follow posted limits for trucks. Generally a slower speed. That being said they also called a number of states that indicated it was not enforced at weigh stations, etc. and some places were annoyed when units came through weigh stations or field people did not know what is required or what to enforce.

Unless you are getting paid to transport rvs as a commercial hauler you DO NOT pull into any weigh stations unless it's directed that ALL vehicles must. If you're pulling your rv for your personal use then don't pull into them. We've been coast to coast border to border & have never pulled into a weigh station in any state & never stopped by law enforcement because we didn't.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #83
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Unless you are getting paid to transport rvs as a commercial hauler you DO NOT pull into any weigh stations unless it's directed that ALL vehicles must. If you're pulling your rv for your personal use then don't pull into them. We've been coast to coast border to border & have never pulled into a weigh station in any state & never stopped by law enforcement because we didn't.
Only time I pull into a weigh station is when it is closed but the display is visible.

Drives my wife nuts

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #84
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
In Oregon I will pull into a closed Oregon DOT weigh station to scale for personal knowledge. Many are large enough to scale TV and Trailer, then pull forward and drop the trailer and scale just the TV.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:36 AM   #85
Stircrazy

I tow at 55-60 purely for fuel mileage, at that speed I get around 13mpg,m when I bump it up to 75 mph my mileage drops to 10.5 mpg. plus most of the speed limits here in the mountains are 55 mph, with areas that are faster (up to 75 mph on a certain road)

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #86
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
In Oregon I will pull into a closed Oregon DOT weigh station to scale for personal knowledge. Many are large enough to scale TV and Trailer, then pull forward and drop the trailer and scale just the TV.
You can get a weight from a "closed'" scale?
I have never driven into the area of one. I'm guessing the display is visible from your TV. Are weigh station scales in all states set up like this?
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #87
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I have never driven into the area of one. I'm guessing the display is visible from your TV. Are weigh station scales in all states set up like this?
Thanks
RMc
No, they are not...
Old 06-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #88
Laredo Tugger

K, Thanks Javi.
I would only drive into one for emergency or mechanical problem if needed.
RMc
Old 06-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #89
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I use the scale in our town that is for weighing pulpwood trucks, formerly Boise Cascade now PCA. I use it during closed hours.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #90
mwemaxxowner

I work for a lumber/trucking company, and have unlimited free access to our scales.

However, before then, I discovered that both the local scrap yard, and local landfill would let me scale things there free of charge if I asked and was polite. I would imagine this option is available for many folks who haven't thought about it.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #91
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Thanks
RMc
So far I have been able to use scales in Washington, Oregon, and Colorado all had remote scale displays visible from drivers seat. Accuracy is in 25 to 50 lb. incriminates.
I figure if they are closed and don’t have a gate treat like a rest area.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:00 AM   #92
Laredo Tugger

I did a recent weight at the CAT scales. Had everything in and on (bikes) the trailer and was full of fuel including auxiliary tank for the generator (which I usually travel with empty). Was well under weight.
Unless I add a major component to the truck or trailer I do not plan on weighing again.
I can do the math for what is added to the inventory.
RMc
Old 06-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #93
Huntme

Between 60 and 65 MPH,would optimal speed when pulling a trailer.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #94
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I try not go more than 65, I could go faster (my tire are rated for 81 mph), but why? I am not in that much of a rush plus I need time to react to situations that may occur. Happy towing.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing