Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #41
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Around this part of BC that 4600 kg limit puts about half or more of the drivers in the not insured category if they don't have the house trailer endorsement. I would bet very few drivers knew about this required licence endorsement. Got to love our ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia).

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #42
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Around this part of BC that 4600 kg limit puts about half or more of the drivers in the not insured category if they don't have the house trailer endorsement. I would bet very few drivers knew about this required licence endorsement. Got to love our ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia).
I agree with the family's comments that it should have been brought up by the person who did the licensing. I really don't know why they allow you to insure it if you can't tow it.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #43
Crazymoose_hound

The only reason I knew about this Class 7 endorsement was during my drivers licence renewal process, the MV branch employee asked me if I wanted to get this endorsement ( I also was giving up my Class 3 endorsement ). At the time, I had a TT that weighed @ 7000 lbs. So, just in case, I took the offer.... Now pulling a 10,500 lb. 5th Wheel.... Phew !
Crazymoose_hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #44
Stircrazy

Quote:
that's why the wife was asking if I had an endorsement
on my licence yesterday

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:06 AM   #45
66joej

Not to upset any British Columbians but I just talked to our local ICBC agent in Invermere and was told they are booking road tests into late Sept. I asked what are people with RVs over 4600 kgs to do in the meantime. The agent told me their vehicle insurance is not valid until driver's licence is upgraded with the house trailer endorsement so she advised not to use the RV.
Just food for thought. BEWARE!

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #46
travelin texans

Quote:
Not to upset any British Columbians but I just talked to our local ICBC agent in Invermere and was told they are booking road tests into late Sept. I asked what are people with RVs over 4600 kgs to do in the meantime. The agent told me their vehicle insurance is not valid until driver's licence is upgraded with the house trailer endorsement so she advised not to use the RV.
Perfect timing!!
Now smack dab in the middle of camping season their best recommendation is park it til you're legal.
Ah! Governments hard at work!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #47
sonofcy

Quote:
Make sure you are asking about the RV (endorsement 7) road tests. I am fairly certain at least where I am (Nanaimo) it was a seperate phone # and schedule. If you use (HIGHLY recommend) a driving instructor like Phil Dutton at Parkway Driving Academy I think that gets you an earlier booking. Be aware it took me two tries and the wife 3 tries. Also be aware you have to check inside the RV. It's a Class 1 inspection so it's lengthy and my memory is bad. If they remove the contact info above re the driving instructor PM me for phone # at least in the mid island area. Elsewhere, ask at ICBC or look up 18 wheel instructors.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #48
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Perfect timing!!
Now smack dab in the middle of camping season their best recommendation is park it til you're legal.
Ah! Governments hard at work!!!
So you think they should just keep driving illegally? What do you think happens if you are not legally licensed and kill someone especially after you have been informed on this forum? May I suggest at least criminal negligence and maybe even manslaughter. When you are piloting upwards of 15 tons you have serious responsibilities. I moved here from Ontario where they let any fool drive one of these and it took me all of 5 minutes to discover I needed a special endorsement (7) to drive here. Because of the timing I had to pay a driver to move my RV and to take me to the road test. That's what responsible folks do. They are not going to let you jump the line just because you didn't do your homework. A major legal concept is that ignorance is not a defence, it's your responsibility to know what laws apply to you in any given situation. That is how our legal system works for obvious reasons.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #49
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
So you think they should just keep driving illegally? What do you think happens if you are not legally licensed and kill someone especially after you have been informed on this forum? May I suggest at least criminal negligence and maybe even manslaughter. When you are piloting upwards of 15 tons you have serious responsibilities. I moved here from Ontario where they let any fool drive one of these and it took me all of 5 minutes to discover I needed a special endorsement (7) to drive here. Because of the timing I had to pay a driver to move my RV and to take me to the road test. That's what responsible folks do. They are not going to let you jump the line just because you didn't do your homework. A major legal concept is that ignorance is not a defence, it's your responsibility to know what laws apply to you in any given situation. That is how our legal system works for obvious reasons.
NEVER said ANYTHING even remotely suggesting that ANYONE drive illegally!!
Simply that the poor timing is perfect to ruin summer camping!!!
Read more closely then keep your rant to yourself!!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #50
GMcKenzie

Quote:
This is not a new law in any respect. The only thing that has happened recently is the news story and a little more visibility into the law.

There is no timing issue here.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #51
sonofcy

Quote:
The implication I took from 'park it til you're legal' is that if you don't park it so you can travel then you are illegal. Maybe my years of training and experience critiquing technical documents gives me a slightly sharper view of the written word. I accept you intended no harm, but I bet more than a few absolutely want to just ignore the law so my message is for them then.

The other thing you are implying is that this is a 'timing' issue. This has been the law for many years and the only reason this thread exists is that on a slow news day somebody resurrected this old story. It's well documented on the ICBC website and in the brochure you can pick up at the ICBC offices.

Where the government messed up is asking us to take a class 1 vehicle inspection test. If you don't get an instructor you have no chance at passing. The driving test isn't that bad though, just the pre-trip.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #52
66joej

Quote:
The implication I took from 'park it til you're legal' is that if you don't park it so you can travel then you are illegal. Maybe my years of training and experience critiquing technical documents gives me a slightly sharper view of the written word. I accept you intended no harm, but I bet more than a few absolutely want to just ignore the law so my message is for them then.

The other thing you are implying is that this is a 'timing' issue. This has been the law for many years and the only reason this thread exists is that on a slow news day somebody resurrected this old story. It's well documented on the ICBC website and in the brochure you can pick up at the ICBC offices.

Where the government messed up is asking us to take a class 1 vehicle inspection test. If you don't get an instructor you have no chance at passing. The driving test isn't that bad though, just the pre-trip.
I have lived in BC for 15 years off and on since 1995 (4 times). I don't believe I have ever seen or been advised of this class 7 endorsement. Betting I am not the first to have never heard of this law. I have had RVs throughout that time.
Coming from Ontario and Alberta you would think one would be advised of this unique endorsement when getting a drivers licence and registering for ICBC insurance for truck and RV. JMO

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 06-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #53
GMcKenzie

Quote:
I have lived in BC for 15 years off and on since 1995 (4 times). I don't believe I have ever seen or been advised of this class 7 endorsement. Betting I am not the first to have never heard of this law. I have had RVs throughout that time.
Coming from Ontario and Alberta you would think one would be advised of this unique endorsement when getting a drivers licence and registering for ICBC insurance for truck and RV. JMO
I just found out about it this year and have been in BC for 40+ years, towing for around 30 of those. Was kicking tires at nicer units and one dealer mentioned it, as the one we were looking at was under the weight limit and didn't need the endorsement. Not sure he would have mentioned it if the trailer was over.

Current trailer at 8200 lbs is my heaviest so far, so it's not been an issue for me up to now.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #54
sonofcy

Quote:
In Ontario they do NOT enforce the law (special class 1 over 10,000 lbs). I went to the cop shop and asked. The reason is a hand shake deal to not enforce in order to not kill the RV industry. Like I said in another post, in Canada ignorance of the law is not an excuse. It's up to each of us to know or hire a lawyer. I find the attitude by some here to be frightening, you actually think you can drive (and towing is still driving) anything with just one license class? Coming from another province I did have the advantage of being forced to look up the licensing requirements and saw that the trailer needed the endorsement as well. Just don't have an accident, my insurance agent confirmed that without the endorsement you are uninsured! That's another of those things we are all supposed to know, the clean hands doctrine.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #55
sonofcy

Quote:
I just found out about it this year and have been in BC for 40+ years, towing for around 30 of those. Was kicking tires at nicer units and one dealer mentioned it, as the one we were looking at was under the weight limit and didn't need the endorsement. Not sure he would have mentioned it if the trailer was over.

Current trailer at 8200 lbs is my heaviest so far, so it's not been an issue for me up to now.
I would bet quite a bit he would not have mentioned that you needed it for a heavy trailer.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #56
sonofcy

I just got informed by my insurance agent that I am only allowed to be out of province for 5 months with my trailer. Now that we are allowed 7 months out of province if the 7th month is a vacation only, not business, that makes no sense. Check your insurance!
Old 06-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #57
sonofcy

Quote:

I just sent an email to the snowbirds organization to see if they can take on this issue. They got us our 7th month out of province so maybe they can 'fix' this endorsement 7 issue as well.
Just to summarize, when getting my license and insurance in the same office of ICBC nobody mentioned the endorsement but lucky for me the booklet about driving in BC they gave me contained the information.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:03 AM   #58
GMcKenzie

Quote:
I just sent an email to the snowbirds organization to see if they can take on this issue. They got us our 7th month out of province so maybe they can 'fix' this endorsement 7 issue as well.
Just to summarize, when getting my license and insurance in the same office of ICBC nobody mentioned the endorsement but lucky for me the booklet about driving in BC they gave me contained the information.
I'd like to see it bumped up a little, to 5,000kg (11,000 lbs) just because I see an awful lots of trailers at the 10,500 mark where I don't think the endorsement is needed. They are no more complex to pull than what I have. Plus the test doesn't need to mirror a commercial test.

And make it policy that you can't insure without being informed.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:07 AM   #59
sonofcy

I don't think weight equates to complexity, backing up for instance has nothing to do with that. The pre-trip however does need to be changed. It is obvious they simply copied the class 1. I have NEVER seen another camper do 10% of that when leaving camp. I think all of us do the obvious but I do agree that we should perhaps do a little more.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #60
Snoking

This is pretty funny, they say to get your rig weighed ready to tow and camp. And then this:

How to check your trailer's weight?
Take your trailer to a weigh scale when it's fully loaded. Fill up the water and propane tanks as you would when travelling and include the gear you plan to carry. Make sure the driver has the correct licence class or endorsements on their licence to drive to the weigh scale.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Tags
tow