Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #21
notanlines

Ellen, you had me until you got to the "at a fairly low number over the limit will impound your vehicle" part. I would need some back-up to cover that statement I believe. If I was speeding at 65 in a 55, and ticketed, give me any particular reason how California or any county would benefit by impounding my vehicle.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:42 PM   #22
GMcKenzie

Curious if ICBC will insure a trailer with a GVW over 4600kg if the driver doesn't have the endorsement? Seems weird.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #23
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Curious if ICBC will insure a trailer with a GVW over 4600kg if the driver doesn't have the endorsement? Seems weird.
If you can't drive(tow) it then no need for insurance other than whatever you need for a parked trailer.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #24
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
If you can't drive(tow) it then no need for insurance other than whatever you need for a parked trailer.
Yet people do it all the time. Lots of trailers over 10K where I doubt the owners have the endorsement. Why I'm curious how they get insured.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #25
sonofcy

Quote:
Yet people do it all the time. Lots of trailers over 10K where I doubt the owners have the endorsement. Why I'm curious how they get insured.
I just looked at my insurance certificate and yes, nowhere does it say one way or the other if you are licensed. I sent an email to my insurance agent to get an answer. I am sure you will get a ticket if a cop stops you though and if in an accident I would be surprised if you were covered. Similar to the 'clean hands' doctrine I would think.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #26
sonofcy

I remember something about 150% with regards to GVW. I think if you say your GVW is 10,000 and when stopped they determine you are 14,999 then you are ok. My suspicion is that the officer will use GVWR off the vehicle sticker so I don't think this will work. I suspect the 150% is for big cargo trailers with massive payload ability and is used empty and full. Our clerks at ICBC in QB were clueless about the entire process, even asking me to drive my 42' 5er plus 20+ft F450 to the office and park on the street so they could inspect it.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #27
Ellen

The very polite policewoman who pulled over my sister on Vancouver Island said if she had been going 2km faster the vehicle would have been impounded. She had sped up to pass a slower vehicle. Don’t think Hertz would have liked that! I guess they are serious about the speed limit and the inconvenience and expense of retrieving an impounded vehicle would make you think twice about exceeding the speed limit.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:33 AM   #28
notanlines

Ellen, I don't believe you and I disagree on the premise of impoundment, just on the severity of the offense required to bring about the action.
From https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...le-impoundment

"Police are required to impound vehicles driven by unlicensed, under-licensed, prohibited and suspended drivers; street racers and stunt drivers; excessive speeders; many alcohol affected drivers; certain motorcycle offenders; and other unsafe motor vehicle operators. The impoundment period depends on the nature of the infraction and may escalate for vehicle owners with prior impoundments."
The site infers that if a vehicle is traveling 60km over the limit the fine is $500 and possible impoundment because of 'excessive' speeding.
I've gone long on this subject, but one more thing: If I thought my F450 could tow my Suites (20K) 100MPH on I-40 with the 4:30 gears....well, the ticket AND the impoundment would give me 'a story to tell!'
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:42 AM   #29
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltilt View Post
Get the "heavy trailer endorsement", you can tow any trailer of any weight without airbrakes. The Rv licence limits you to RV's only.
yes but it is a commercial code and you have to maintain it, the house trailer code is a permanent code, once you get it, it never goes away. so if all you haul is an RV that is the way to go.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #30
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
yes but it is a commercial code and you have to maintain it, the house trailer code is a permanent code, once you get it, it never goes away. so if all you haul is an RV that is the way to go.

Steve
Is there a link to show this? I've googled the Class 20 endorsement but don't see anything about it expiring.

Thanks.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #31
GMcKenzie

To further add to the confusion, one site say you need a medical for a class 20, but the fact sheet linked on that very page says nothing about it.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...and-types.aspx

Just more confusion.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #32
GMcKenzie

Okay. I think I get it now.

Class 07 is not under the commercial driving rules, and class 20 is. So, while they kinda get lumped together in the ICBC brochures, they seem to be pretty different.

Thinking a class 7 is what I would need.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #33
sonofcy

Quote:
I just looked at my insurance certificate and yes, nowhere does it say one way or the other if you are licensed. I sent an email to my insurance agent to get an answer. I am sure you will get a ticket if a cop stops you though and if in an accident I would be surprised if you were covered. Similar to the 'clean hands' doctrine I would think.
I got word back from my insurance agent. Yes you can insure without the endorsement but you aren't really insured!

Here is what she said
"not having a driver’s license does not prevent you from getting insurance, however if you are driving without one your insurance would be void."

Remember of 10,000 employees at an insurance company 9,999 are looking for ways to NOT pay you and one old man with a pen is manually writing claim cheques.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:13 AM   #34
sonofcy

Quote:
Quote:
To further add to the confusion, one site say you need a medical for a class 20, but the fact sheet linked on that very page says nothing about it.

Just more confusion.
Depending on what meds you are on for any medical conditions may require you to have a medical. I have AFIB and on Xarelto so had to get one.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #35
sonofcy

Quote:
Okay. I think I get it now.

Class 07 is not under the commercial driving rules, and class 20 is. So, while they kinda get lumped together in the ICBC brochures, they seem to be pretty different.

Thinking a class 7 is what I would need.
You will still need to do the pre-trip which is clearly taken from a full Class 1. Many dumb things to check that nobody does in real life and do NOT forget to open the trailer and check INSIDE. I took 2 tries and my wife 3 tries and we used a pro instructor to train us. A real pain but it is better than Ontario where we came from that allows no testing and no rules enforcement. FYI I am accident free for over 50 years and ticket free for decades and wife is similar so it's not that we are bad drivers, it's just difficult at our age. They also do NOT allow you to use any modern driving tools like 360 cameras or cruise etc.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #36
sonofcy

Quote:

Just more confusion.
I found most of the staff at the ICBC offices to be totally clueless about RV's. They even put class 8 endorsement on my paperwork. They told me to park in front of office and when I explained my rig was bigger than the entire parking area they just went blank. I had to get medical because I have AFIB but take medication. The Dr laughed at the stupidity of that. I honestly don't remember if the medical exam was for the class 7 endorsement or for the basic drivers license.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #37
66 Vettster

Endorsement in BC

California went to the special licensing 4-5 years ago. They go by the GVWR on the sticker of your trailer. If your trailer shows 10,000 lbs to 14,999 you will need a endorsement on your license. If it shows over 15,000 lbs you will need a Non Commercial license. If you have a Commercial license you are okay. They require a medical statement saying that you are in good health. When I went down to take the written test I was also required to take my regular license test and since I have a endorsement for motorcycle I had to take that test. After that I set up appointment for the Inspection and the drivers test. The inspection is really important. All of this information is in the California DMV web site. I was out on the drivers test for over a hour. I was worried that if I was stopped for any reason that if I am not licensed properly that they could make you park your rig. That could turn into a disaster especially if you are a long ways from home.

Jim Bonhote
2014 3582RL, 2015 Ford F-350 Platinum
66 Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #38
Stircrazy

Quote:
Is there a link to show this? I've googled the Class 20 endorsement but don't see anything about it expiring.

Thanks.
no, that's what the girls told me when I asked about which one I should do. they said the class 20 is a commercial version and you have to maintain it like a commercial licence. see below

Steve
Old 05-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #39
Stircrazy

Quote:

Just more confusion.
yup that's it, you need to keep doing the medical every so often (same as class 1 or 3) to maintain it as it is the commercial version of the heavy tow.

Steve
Old 06-25-2019, 04:51 AM   #40
GMcKenzie

News story on this.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5427413/w..._campaign=2014

Tags
tow