Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
66joej

BC License to tow over 4600 kgs

Just a heads up to RVers in BC. If your RV is heavier than 4600kgs (10000lbs) you need a code 07 endorsement on your drivers license to legally tow and insure the RV in BC. Quite a bit involved to get this endorsement.
Log onto ICBC and put "towing an rv over 4600 kgs." for more info.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Tbos

Does that apply to tourist from the USA too?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
Brentw

No, Generally as long as you are properly licensed for you residence area, you are good to go.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #4
notanlines

Inquiring minds (nosey old farts) want to know:
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...l-trailer.aspx
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #5
rjrelander

GVW on a trailer seems a little difficult to verify if you get pulled over. Wouldn't they have to take portable scale readings with and without the trailer attached to figure the hitch/pin weight to add to the axle weights? I suppose if they were using portable scales, they could detach and read it directly.

[EDIT] As much as I have a general dislike for any government requirements and regulations, I looked over the training material for their "house trailer endorsement" and it might not be a bad idea for it to be required reading for everyone. Saved a copy to my desktop.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrelander View Post
GVW on a trailer seems a little difficult to verify if you get pulled over. Wouldn't they have to take portable scale readings with and without the trailer attached to figure the hitch/pin weight to add to the axle weights? I suppose if they were using portable scales, they could detach and read it directly.

[EDIT] As much as I have a general dislike for any government requirements and regulations, I looked over the training material for their "house trailer endorsement" and it might not be a bad idea for it to be required reading for everyone. Saved a copy to my desktop.

I bet they mean GVWR. That figure is on the data plate at the front DS of every trailer, so no scale needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:07 AM   #7
rjrelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I bet they mean GVWR. That figure is on the data plate at the front DS of every trailer, so no scale needed.
That's what I though too. Would be a lot easier to enforce. That link that Jim posted specifically calls out (and defines) trailer GVW though.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #8
Brentw

No they do not mean gvw, it is actual weight. My opinion, and i have not heard of any enforcement, is that until you have run afoul of the law in some other manner, it would be then employed as another stick to beat you with.
Note
class 4 = first level commercial ( taxi/ bus driver)
Class 5= regular licence
Class 7=learners licience

How much weight can be towed with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence? A Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence allows you to tow a trailer weighing up to 4,600 kg gross vehicle weight (GVW). GVW refers to the combined weight of the towed vehicle (trailer) and its load. If a trailer weighs 4,000 kg when empty you may tow the trailer with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence. However, once you load the trailer with food, water and/or other items the GVW may exceed 4,600 kg.
2008 Goldwing
Old 05-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #9
Carrottop

Same in Manitoba except there is no endorsement you need a class 1,2 or 3 to pull a recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs and it is GVW as well not GVWR. license classes here are as follows.

Class 1: Semi-Truck Trailers (your standard big rig)
Class 2: Large Passenger and School Buses.
Class 3: Heavy Equipment Trucks and Large Trailer Towing.

Same as BC with a government insurance program in place you cannot insure your trailer unless you posses one of these licences.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Just a heads up to RVers in BC. If your RV is heavier than 4600kgs (10000lbs) you need a code 07 endorsement on your drivers license to legally tow and insure the RV in BC. Quite a bit involved to get this endorsement.
Log onto ICBC and put "towing an rv over 4600 kgs." for more info.
I'm glad you brought this up. I actually called ICBC on this a few weeks ago to see what's involved, and got really screwy answers.

From what the lady said, I'd have to go back to a "N" for some time. I really think she had something screwed up.

But the big question I have is with the road test. I have a trailer with 8200 lbs GVWR, but I could not use it for the road test. I'd have to be tested on a trailer over 10,120 lbs (4,600 kg, sorry I'm old and still think in terms of lbs).

What I'm looking at for a new trailer (Cougar 33SAB) would be 10,500 GVWR.

But, reading this

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...creational.pdf

"How much weight can be towed with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence?
A Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence allows you to tow a trailer weighing up to 4,600 kg gross vehicle weight (GVW). GVW refers to the combined weight of the towed vehicle (trailer) and its load. If a trailer weighs 4,000 kg when empty you may tow the trailer with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence. However, once you load the trailer with food, water and/or other items the GVW may exceed 4,600 kg. "

They are clearly going by GVW and not GVWR. So if I get a trailer that's 10,500 GVWR and don't load it quite full, it would be under the weight and I'd be fine.

I wonder if I would be able to license it or not.

I agree that the concept is a good one, but like most thing government, the implementation lacks common sense.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. I actually called ICBC on this a few weeks ago to see what's involved, and got really screwy answers.

From what the lady said, I'd have to go back to a "N" for some time. I really think she had something screwed up.

But the big question I have is with the road test. I have a trailer with 8200 lbs GVWR, but I could not use it for the road test. I'd have to be tested on a trailer over 10,120 lbs (4,600 kg, sorry I'm old and still think in terms of lbs).

What I'm looking at for a new trailer (Cougar 33SAB) would be 10,500 GVWR.

But, reading this

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...creational.pdf

"How much weight can be towed with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence?
A Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence allows you to tow a trailer weighing up to 4,600 kg gross vehicle weight (GVW). GVW refers to the combined weight of the towed vehicle (trailer) and its load. If a trailer weighs 4,000 kg when empty you may tow the trailer with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence. However, once you load the trailer with food, water and/or other items the GVW may exceed 4,600 kg. "

They are clearly going by GVW and not GVWR. So if I get a trailer that's 10,500 GVWR and don't load it quite full, it would be under the weight and I'd be fine.

I wonder if I would be able to license it or not.

I agree that the concept is a good one, but like most thing government, the implementation lacks common sense.
Government and common sense cannot be used in the same context. Meant to be funny not political.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #12
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
No they do not mean gvw, it is actual weight.
Actually they do mean max trailer weight, they use that so they don't have to have scales at road side inspection. if your max GVW of your trailer is over the weight then you need some one to go with you to your testing or your holidays who has the endorsement. I had a friend who went with me so I would be legal.

the road test is plain and simple easy if you have been driving a trailer for a bit, but the walkaround takes a bit more prep. they took commercial walkaround and applied it to a Rv so there is a lot of things you wont know about checking or such unless you take the time to study, oh and treat the examiner as if they are dense, say everything you are looking at and if you are checking the same things at several locations, you have to repeat it at each location instead of saying I am going to check this one every tire...…..

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #13
Brentw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
Actually they do mean max trailer weight, they use that so they don't have to have scales at road side inspection. if your max GVW of your trailer is over the weight then you need some one to go with you to your testing or your holidays who has the endorsement. I had a friend who went with me so I would be legal.

Steve
Good info about the road test.
I agree that locally they may be using GVWR as an indication of GVW, ( after all how much weight can be shed from a 15k gvwr house trailer) but it is quite clear in the regs.
This is right out of ICBC FAQs

How much weight can be towed with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence? A Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence allows you to tow a trailer weighing up to 4,600 kg gross vehicle weight (GVW). GVW refers to the combined weight of the towed vehicle (trailer) and its load. If a trailer weighs 4,000 kg when empty you may tow the trailer with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence. However, once you load the trailer with food, water and/or other items the GVW may exceed 4,600
2008 Goldwing
Old 05-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #14
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Good info about the road test.
I agree that locally they may be using GVWR as an indication of GVW, ( after all how much weight can be shed from a 15k gvwr house trailer) but it is quite clear in the regs.
This is right out of ICBC FAQs

How much weight can be towed with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence? A Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence allows you to tow a trailer weighing up to 4,600 kg gross vehicle weight (GVW). GVW refers to the combined weight of the towed vehicle (trailer) and its load. If a trailer weighs 4,000 kg when empty you may tow the trailer with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence. However, once you load the trailer with food, water and/or other items the GVW may exceed 4,600
ya that what I read also, but here they seamed to be more interested with the max weight instead of the actual weight. and they said you had to have one that was over the weight to do the test. maybe that's just my branch going there own way.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #15
Brentw

Ya, I imagine that's what they will use here, no govt scales in service for 100 kms.
No mater to me, just recieved my drivers medical, and assuming I pass ,will maintain class 1 for 5 more years.
2008 Goldwing
Old 05-19-2019, 11:58 PM   #16
GMcKenzie

So, I'm curious what the actual license process is. I've got an 8200 lb trailer, but would like to move up to one that is 10,500 (GVW). But I'd like to have the endorsement in place before laying out the cash. There seems to be no way to do this.

I called and asked, but I got real weird info from the phone call.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #17
idanby

We got this right after we bought our trailer. BC drivers need the Code 7 endorsement on your class 5 to tow the trailer. You need the trailer to take the test. There is no N when updating your class 5. You pass or you fail. Pick up the booklet from the Access Centre or ICBC. You need to take the written test to get your learners license for the code 7. This allows you to pull the trailer if you have a person with appropriate licensing in the vehicle with you. Then, you make an appt to take the driving test with the trailer. The walk around is as important as any other part of the test. VERBALISE everything you do while you are doing the walk around. "I am opening the passenger door and checking to make sure the rear passenger seat belt works." If you don't verbalize it, it doesn't count as done and they nail you for it. It's totally anal. You go through the inside and outside of both truck and trailer. Checking vents, windows, lights, etc. It is the same walk around that the class 1 drivers test has for commercial drivers. This walk around can easily take up to 1/2 hour. Then you go for the driving test. Use your mirrors and turn signals (even in parking lots). Watch for stale yellows and school zones. They will take you through them. And you have to back the trailer up straight for it's full length. What annoys me is that the dealerships do not usually inform people that they need this endorsement. I see trailers for rent that do not tell you you need the endorsement. My friend drove his trailer for 8 years before I told him he needed the endorsement on his license. A week later he got pulled over on the highway because the cops WILL check your license plate and then the license of the driver to see if you are properly licensed. Also, believe that ICBC will not only nail you with a ticket for not being properly licensed, but in the event of an accident, they may not cover you.
idanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
fulltilt

Get the "heavy trailer endorsement", you can tow any trailer of any weight without airbrakes. The Rv licence limits you to RV's only.
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #19
61Hawks

This is not true at this time. The province or state that you drive into honors the class of licenses from your home.e state or province. In other words you do not have to change or amend your license when traveling.
61Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #20
Ellen

And whatever you do, don’t go over the posted speed limit. The posted limit is serious. Around here, California, many drivers, towing or not, seem to feel the posted limit is a suggestion. They ticket, even visitors, and at a fairly low number over the limit will impound your vehicle. Drive safely!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow