Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #1
CampNBrew2

Recommend bi-Pin (G4) LEDs that last in ceiling down lights?

Hello All,
I have a 2013 Premier 22RBPR. I retrofitted the 48 and 72 panel type LEDs in the surface mount fixtures, range hood, and dinette fixture. I used these flat panel boards in my old toy hauler and they lasted for years.

I bought these flower looking ones (on my lamps the board is actually cut to the shape outlined on the picture.) to replace the 20w halogen bi-pin lamps in the ceiling down lights. They worked fine for one trip but now have some dead LEDs and some are flickering. I tried resoldering each individual LED chip thinking bad joints but did not help.

Have you had any luck with bi-pin LEDs that fit the ceiling lights? The fixtures don't leave much room for various styles, and they don't vent the heat well, which likely kills the chips even faster. I have thought about removing the metal "reflector" inside the fixture but not sure if that would leave it open to the attic cavity.

These were ebay specials of course. There are not many form factors that will fit in these fixtures. Please let me know if you found some that last.
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED lamp.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	19971  
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
CampNBrew2

Also, I know I ran them while the trailer was plugged in last time so the voltage was at charge voltage. I have heard that some LEDs rated at 12V dont like any more than 12V.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I don't have the pin type lamps but I do have experience with using 12vdc only LEDs. They don't work well. The voltage in the RV fluctuates too much to fit within the narrow band of voltage the 12vdc only lamps want. In my experience the 12 volt only degrade very quickly and the LEDs go dark or start flickering very soon. I replaced ours with 12-28vdc leds and all is well.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

My Raptor uses these bi pin leds and I have replaced all the original halogens with these. As noted you want to purchase the 12-28 VDC leds and try to avoid the 12VDC type. Our multi stage converters when on and functioning correctly are going to provide a voltage most times over 12 VDC.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #5
CampNBrew2

I never had an issue with the 12vdc rated flat panel 48 or 72 SMD boards but these little guys get hot in those fixtures. Looking at 12-28vdc rated ones now.

Do you have links to the ones you used?

Thanks folks!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
CampNBrew2

Found these and they are a bit brighter which I was hoping for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-G4-GU...ye-l:rk:8:pf:0

I really like this form factor since its potted in aluminum which would help dissipate heat. However its spot, not flood, only 12v rated and I dont like the hospital white light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G4-3W-240lm....c100752.m1982
Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
CampNBrew2

I bought these and they seem to work great. Slightly brighter and a better color than the cloverleaf LED boards.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-G4-GU...ye-l:rk:8f:0

BUT, When the bedroom overhead lights are on the radio turns to static. I assume the overhead lights and radio are on the same circuit since they are very close together. I have tried reversing the polarity of the lamps (Since they are bi-pin base, they can be installed either way, but work in either orientation.) I assume the small electronics in the lamp are causing this interference?
Is there a filter I can install before the radio? or any other ideas? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	20158  
Old 02-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNBrew2 View Post
BUT, When the bedroom overhead lights are on the radio turns to static. I assume the overhead lights and radio are on the same circuit since they are very close together...
First, your link doesn't work, so I don't have a means to check which LED subassembly you're using. That said, yes, there are RF filters that "we used to use" to filter interference on the old AM radios in cars (back when they were 6 volt and cars had generators.

But, before you do that, have you swapped that specific LED assembly to a different one? You may just have a PC board on that LED that's defective.

As a fix (rather than rewiring filters into the radio) you might consider a different style LED array for that one overhead light. Buying one LED for that specific light fixture would probably be much cheaper and less complicated than trying to wire an RF filter into the back of the radio and/or the 12VDC supply to the radio. The RF filter "might work" to fix the radio supply, but if there's other items (like the TV antenna amplifier) on that circuit, you might introduce other issues.....

I'd suggest taking the easy route and just find a different LED assembly for that one overhead light.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
CampNBrew2

Oops. Hopefully this is the correct link. I believe I tried swapping the same style lamps but I'll see about a different one.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
majbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't have the pin type lamps but I do have experience with using 12vdc only LEDs. They don't work well. The voltage in the RV fluctuates too much to fit within the narrow band of voltage the 12vdc only lamps want. In my experience the 12 volt only degrade very quickly and the LEDs go dark or start flickering very soon. I replaced ours with 12-28vdc leds and all is well.
I don't have the pin type either. I started to replace my 121s with a type of LED for 121 replace and are hard to put in the 121 socket. So thinking may have gotten the wrong "recommended" type of LED. Do you have a better description of the 12-28vdc leds that you used. Thanks
majbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:50 AM   #11
CampNBrew2

Here are the LEDs I used.
When the trailer is plugged in, I get audio feedback over the speakers of the radio when its on (unsure of television, I have not tried it). When on battery power, its dead quiet.
Something with the voltage regulation circuitry in the lamp sends feedback to the converter I guess. I saw another thread recently with the same noise issue with these lamps. I have not tried any new LEDs yet.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
Old 07-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #12
Hblick48

I installed led's in all of my fixtures. When I turn on bedroom lights, they cause the over the air antenna to lose the signal. Definitely "radio frequency interference" caused by the led bulbs according to Chief Engineer at local TV station.

They were cheap Amazon bulbs. Next time I buy some, I'll get 12-24 volt as some of the cheap bulbs have already burned out. If anyone knows a brand that don't cause interference, please post.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, lights