Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Dave-Gray

Automated Safety Hitch System Review

Here is the link to my review of the ASHS:

The Potential of Integrated Trailer Safety
with the Automated Safety Hitch System

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

That looks like a great idea. Maybe even better than any standard 5er hitch.
Here is a problem in Oregon. ORS 801.560,801.590 and motor carrier laws(DOT)
It is a vehicle, so it needs a VIN. And it's a trailer so unless you are CDL following motor carrier laws you can only pull 1 trailer. Motor carrier laws are for vehicle(S) 26,001 lbs and larger, single and/or combo. etc. etc.
Troopers would know the laws no other police would. If they choose to inforce them thats their business.
It might be worth it to get the thing listed in ORS as a special use trailer (ORS 801.500) or something to be legal. There was a attempt acouple years ago to allow 2 trailers pulled by a pickup. Like a pickup/5er/boat but, it failed to pass into law. I read that purposed law and it was a good one. I believe that the State Police did not oppose the law. I read thru what was printed as Oregon laws in the article and it is not correct or complete. Good Luck
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
TomHaycraft

Dave, I don't remember if it was independent review, or marketing video for the company, but recall seeing something on this device in the last year. Great concept, very well engineered. What stands out most to me from the video, was footage of stopping distance, with and without the hitch system.

Large trailer with 3/4 or 1-ton truck. Camera in a field to capture the line where braking started and when the rig came to a stop. A measurable distance shorter with the safety hitch system.

For what I tow, would be overkill, but for that time in the future when I upgrade truck and trailer, it will could certainly be part of the equation.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Dave-Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
That looks like a great idea. Maybe even better than any standard 5er hitch.
Here is a problem in Oregon. ORS 801.560,801.590 and motor carrier laws(DOT)
It is a vehicle, so it needs a VIN. And it's a trailer so unless you are CDL following motor carrier laws you can only pull 1 trailer. Motor carrier laws are for vehicle(S) 26,001 lbs and larger, single and/or combo. etc. etc.
Troopers would know the laws no other police would. If they choose to inforce them thats their business.
It might be worth it to get the thing listed in ORS as a special use trailer (ORS 801.500) or something to be legal. There was a attempt acouple years ago to allow 2 trailers pulled by a pickup. Like a pickup/5er/boat but, it failed to pass into law. I read that purposed law and it was a good one. I believe that the State Police did not oppose the law. I read thru what was printed as Oregon laws in the article and it is not correct or complete. Good Luck
I recommend you do a little more research. The ASHS is, as stated, a drop/lift axle. It is my understanding that all 50 states and Canada exempt these units from registration requirements, thus does not need a VIN.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Dave-Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
Dave, I don't remember if it was independent review, or marketing video for the company, but recall seeing something on this device in the last year. Great concept, very well engineered. What stands out most to me from the video, was footage of stopping distance, with and without the hitch system.

Large trailer with 3/4 or 1-ton truck. Camera in a field to capture the line where braking started and when the rig came to a stop. A measurable distance shorter with the safety hitch system.

For what I tow, would be overkill, but for that time in the future when I upgrade truck and trailer, it will could certainly be part of the equation.
I was impressed too when I test drove the rig. The horse trailer was filled with a lot of heavy steel junk. I don't how much it weighed but I could tell it was heavy. Although I have a dully that has the power to tow 19,600 pounds, the ASHS is my next major purchase just for the additional safety reasons alone. Eventually, I'll downsize to 3/4 ton 4X4 diesel.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Dave,
What would I reseach, I know the law, was trained in the law, I inforced that law(s) I gave you the actual law. I did not make it up, it is inprint. You look it up Oregon laws they are on the web. I gave you the numbers. What they (the article) printed about Oregon RV laws are incorrect and incomplete. (Not all but some). I could go line by line but, it's not my job. I was just trying to help.
Further help.
I did see at one time a guy pulling a trailer with a werid hitch about 10 years ago. I stopped him to check it and he had a permit from Oregon Dept. of Transportion that allowed him to use a new style hitch. He was testing it. I never seen it on the road again, unknown it if was found to be legal or not. I cannot recall if this was it or not. I remember it used 2 hitch points in 2" recievers near the sides of the truck in the rear.. I thought it was a good idea also.
I think your set up looks like a great idea, but at least in Oregon a law or laws would need to be changed or added to include it. If you want the State Police PIOs name and number and ask him, I will provide it. Before that look up the laws I listed. Again Good Luck
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I took time to research other ORS laws in Oregon. There is no drop axle defintion until you go to motor carry laws. If are are going to look at Oregon laws check chapter 818. I could not find anything allowing it or listing it is special or exempt.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Dave-Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I took time to research other ORS laws in Oregon. There is no drop axle defintion until you go to motor carry laws. If are are going to look at Oregon laws check chapter 818. I could not find anything allowing it or listing it is special or exempt.
Okay, here is what I've got so far:

Regulatory Exemptions
A farmer with a three-axle farmplated truck can add a drop axle and still remain exempt from regulation when using the truck to haul for-hire for another farmer. Oregon law now declares that a drop axle is not considered a permanent axle when added to a three-axle farm truck.
- House Bill 3428 http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/docs/997.pdf

Somewhere, there has to be additional info/laws on the drop axle. Hidden? I’m waiting for a response from Oregon DOT.

I contacted Joe and this was his response:

"We know of two owners of the Automated Safety Hitch System who were stopped in Oregon. One for a routine stop for the RV dragging something. The state police people were very intrigued with the Automated Safety Hitch System. They liked it. They said, “makes a lot of sense.” The other pulled into a truck stop while a state patrolman was getting into his vehicle. He came over and asked some question. In both cases, the patrolmen were handed our certified letter, they read it, handed it back and were told to have a safe trip."

Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Thats what I said, what a trooper does or does not do is their business. The times that people phone in reports of vehicles or traffic problems than the trooper normally needs to do something. Regarding farm vehicles, that plate stands for in police terms "forget it" farm vehicles can do nearly anything they want with anything they have on the road. Most things they have is exempt from licenseing etc. I beleive they could use that system and would be ok as long as they are pulling farm equipment. We do have wierd laws and exempts for special groups. Thats why I was thinking out loud that it may get able to be listed as a special use trailer.
I used to get dispatched on 2 trailer RV combos coming up from CA. If they were not driveing unsafe, I gave them a ticket for illegal combo vehicles. I think it is now a 125 fine. And let them go, others would make them stop and only allow them to transport 1 trailer.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
geo

The Automated Safety Hitch System has its home in Denton, TX - right up near the intersection of I-35 and US 380. It does appear to be an excellent idea and does add some braking power to a SRW pickup. However, it does add another axle - pulling a triple axle RV turns your rig into a 6 axle monster. Need to check the laws. It also can technically add another trailer - so suddenly you are a double tow (illegal in BC by the way) and longer. Ken is quite correct, one needs to verify the laws of the states and provinces before using this system.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

Dave,I
I think I found what Oregon may call it. I was fishing today and thinking about this. I looked further into Chapter 818. I think that Oregon may have conflicting laws. I think that it would be Id'ed as a vehicle/trailer by the defintions in the law. Having said that ORS 818.170 says(shorten) a Booster Axle bolted to frame of truck and pivots when turning is exempt from towing safety requirements. If Oregon Dept. of Transportion says it is a booster axle it should be OK. Sounds like what you and article say is US DOT labels it as a drop axle. Are booster axle and drop axle the same. I can not answer that.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
CurtisA

Oregon law regarding Automated Safety Hitch

This is a problem I see in every field, not just law enforcement. You cannot know it all. I learn something new in my field every week. The ASH is a converter dolly ORS 801.217. Since it is defined separately from trailers in ORS 801.560, the ASH is NOT a trailer. From what I can find in DMV rules, titling (and therefore licensing) falls under the same category as golf carts, bicycles, and electric wheelchairs....meaning it cannot be titled.

The only other mention I can find on a converter dolly is for vehicles over 26,000 GVWR in the DOT Highway Division, chapter 734.

While I cannot state definitively that these hitches are legal in Oregon, they are clearly not a trailer, and are most likely legal for use in Oregon. With that said, they seem like a rather large expense, and likely source of mechanical issues.
CurtisA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ashs, automated safety hitch