Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #21
johnwally

Equally as important are the tail lights that don't come on until dark! My self being a truck driver for 25 years that's what always makes me shake my head is why people don't just turn that little switch on. Just my two cents.
johnwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
It's my understanding that cars built in Canada FOR THE US will have DRL's activated because Canada's laws say that any car built there require DRL's.

I've always had a small issue with DRL's. They take away any advantage motorcyclists, who are required to run with headlights to increase their visibility, have and are back to blending in with all the folks with DRL's.

Don't get me wrong. Lights in general do add to ones visibility.

I'm not sure that lights being on on a motorcycle gives them any "advantage". I think having them on just makes them less invisible and gives them a leg up over just being that "little spec" that no one sees. Now that DRLs and headlights are being used more and more on larger vehicles I think a person seeing the "lights" coming down the roadway gives them more respect because it may be a bike or a 4 ton pickup....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #23
rjniles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Park lights all the way. Flip them on every drive. Ford guys: google Forscan. You can turn on/off DRL and other stuff like annoying double horn honk.
https://forscan.org/home.html
Old 07-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #24
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you have a GM truck or many RAM models, chances are you have DRL's. If you have a Ford (except for some newer models), you don't (in the US). If you want DRL's on your Ford (and possibly on older RAM/GM trucks) you can go to the Ford dealership and they can connect your truck to their "service computer" and press a button to "activate the DRL feature".... Then, when the ignition is on, the DRL's are on....
Our 2017 Ford F350 DRW has a manual switch for all the typical light settings, an "automatic" setting for turning on all lights dusk-to-dawn, and the DRL's can be turned on or off as an option in the "settings" from the instrument panel. So our dealership was not needed. I typically run without lights in normal daylight. I figure if someone can not see a big white dually pulling a 40' RV, the DRL's aren't likely to have much effect on their driving.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #25
travelin texans

Smile

I think someone needs to develope an app for peoples phone that alarms/signals if other cars are near, most of the time it doesn't matter which lights you have on if everyone else on the road has their eyes glued to their phone.
Or better yet, once you turn the ignition the phone automatically shuts off all text, social media, only receives incoming calls if connected to the vehicles hands free.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #26
billsr

I have a 2013 Ford F 150 and I set up my headlights (used Forscan) to be my DRL's so they come on whenever I shift into gear. I keep the light switch on Auto too, so the lights come on when it gets dark enough.
Also, when towing the RV, I always turn on the lights so the lights activate on the RV too.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #27
jimborokz

When towing I flip the switch over from auto to full headlights because my rear monitor camera gets its power from the trailer's clearance light. The alarm will remind me to shut them off when I stop. Other than that I run the DRL's and headlights on auto-on. Also if I turn on wipers in rain, even intermittent the headlights come on full automatically.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, tow, towing