Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
Thomasbeau

CAT Scales Details?

Hi Folks,

Could someone with experience give a detailed run-thru of the procedures and what I need to be aware of when going to get weighed at the CAT Scales. I just discovered that there is a CAT Scale only eleven miles from my house and I would like to know if I am where I need to be. However, it's at a very busy truck stop right off of I-95 in Rhode Island and I do not wanna be that moron showing up without a clue as to what I need to do or what I am really asking for.

Thanks in advance,

Tom and Ann
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
cookinwitdiesel

Should just be a separate line off to the side of the truck stop. Wait your turn, drive up, hit the button to talk to the operator. He will ask for your truck number, you don't have one officially (not commercial), so just use a number you like.

When driving up, be sure to position your front truck axle on the first pad, your truck rear axle on the 2nd pad, and you trailer axles should be separate on the 3rd pad. These will report as your Steer Axle, Drive Axle, and Trailer Axles. The slip will also do the addition for you and show your combined total weight.

After you talk to the operator, he will say you are good to go, then just drive off the pad, park somewhere, and go inside to pay and collect your weight slip.

The main things that matter for safety that you need to verify are as follows:

Steer + Drive weights are less than your truck GVWR - this would indicate that your pin weight is not too much for the trucks payload rating
Drive Axle weight is LESS than your RAWR (found on door jam sticker) - this would indicate that you are not overloading your rear axle and tires on the truck
Trailer Axle weight is LESS than the combined Axle ratings for your trailer - this would indicate that you are not overloading the trailer axle/suspension/tires

Hope that helps some. I am a little jealous, I have to drive over an hour to get to a scale! But with my current setup it would be purely academic as I know I am well within all my ratings.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
TJO

They have a youtube video of the procedure. https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Northofu1

There is a CAT phone app. Pay and get results through app.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Tbos

After you go through with the rig all set up ad you do when you tow disconnect the RV and go through truck only. Tell the operator it’s a reweigh. It will only cost $2 or so. Then you will have the truck only weights and the whole rig weight. You can then calculate your loaded actual tongue weight.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
hholmes

Phone App

If you use the CAT Scales app on your phone, it's all automated when you pull up. Just enter the scale number you're at and follow the prompts on your phone. Your scale sheet will be sent to your email account.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck and Laredo 325RL.PNG
Views:	402
Size:	800.9 KB
ID:	22450  
hholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:26 AM   #7
Thomasbeau

Thanks everyone,

Seems like a simple process. I'm going to try to get there soon as see my actual numbers. If I go by all of the numbers provided by Keystone I should be fine but I have heard a lot of stories regarding the numbers provided by manufacturers being a bit off.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:49 AM   #8
MarkEHansen

There's a sticker on the side of your trailer which provides the GVWR for the trailer. This is not going to be "a bit off" - it is the max. There will also be max payload and max axle ratings.

I think what you're referring to is the marketing numbers for the trailer, provided in the brochure, like cargo capacity and tongue weight. These are marketing numbers. Use the sticker on the trailer for the real information.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbeau View Post
Thanks everyone,

Seems like a simple process. I'm going to try to get there soon as see my actual numbers. If I go by all of the numbers provided by Keystone I should be fine but I have heard a lot of stories regarding the numbers provided by manufacturers being a bit off.
Their numbers are much like the owners manuals they may have provided with the rv, VERY generic.
Always stay within the max truck numbers from the sticker on the door post & the GVW of your particular rv. Dry weights of any kind mean nothing to you nor does the max tow weight of your truck if the payload is too low.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
Coconutz

Just went to that exact scale the other day (6/30/19). It was pretty easy, I couldn't reach the call button for the tractor trailers, after wondering what I was going to do my wife pointed out another button that was lower that got us the desk. If you are in line with the call box your steer axle will be on platform 1, rear axles on platform 2 and for me both my trailer axles were on platform 3 (27' TT). They ask a few questions about commercial/private, first weight or a re-weigh. a minute later you are good to go, drive off, park and go inside to the clerk and pay for the ticket. If you have the app I hear it's faster, but I didn't do it myself. Didn't mind the leg stretch.

Coconutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Thomasbeau

Thanks for all of the great replies. Now it's just a matter of taking the time to get there and have this done. Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
goodellj

I've done this a few times and I learned something from all these suggestions. BUT...

I have a few suggestions of my own:
1. When they ask for your truck number, tell them "private RV".
2. I have been worried about my weight (no wisecracks, pls!) and I wanted the total weight, trailer only, and truck only, so I unhooked and drove the truck forward and off the scale, pressed the call button again and said "trailer only".
3. The then rehooked, drove around and parked, unhooked, and drove back to the scale and did "truck only".

This is the only way that I know of to be absolutely sure of your 5th wheel axle weight, hitch weight, and truck weights. This is useful to know your exact hitch weight or if the total weight on the 4 camper tires is over the limit. Also, you'll find out if you need to redistribute some items from the cargo bay to the truck bed.

I found that the trailer was getting close to the limit and truck had lots of extra capacity, so I bought a big tool box for the truck bed and moved my tools from the cargo bay to the truck bed. I am considering moving a 20lb propane tank and a 40lb box of kitty litter.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #13
MarkEHansen

Why can't you weigh both, pull off and un-hitch and then take the truck back and weigh truck only? You don't have to also weigh only the trailer. The combined weight less the truck-only weight will reveal the trailer-only weight.