Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
joekrulder

What's BCM - fess up, now!

OK, so, we have a 2017 Keystone Outback 332FK. Recently we had a power outage. When power returned, the top ceiling interior lights were not working.

At the control panel, I pressed "Interior Lights" cause this is usually the "switch" for those. But the control panel kept stating "Connecting to BCM" and a little wheel spinning and an option to push "Dismiss". More concerning was that by pressing any button on the panel it does not auto show the level of the tanks, black or grey.

What the heck is BCM, why does it need dismissal, and why is the panel being goofy?

Thank you in advance?
joekrulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
Wyldfire

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=25626
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Tbos

The BCM is the actual brain of the system. It’s probably in the pass through area. The power outage may have damaged it. You may want to contact the manufacturer of your In-Command system.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
joekrulder

Thanks. I figured out that the BCM is Body Control Module and that the display unit connects to that. THe current state is that the display cannot locate the BCM. So all sorts of functions are lost.

Where in the Keystone Outback 332FK is the BCM located so I can kick it's fanny? Or just check on it.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
MattHelm21

Before even resetting the BCM, just try resetting the control pad. If yours is the same as mine, you do this by holding the power button in until you are prompted to press ok to power off. Once the screen goes dark, press and hold the power button until the screens lights up and the release. Once power up is complete, you will be asked to enter your passcode and if it works like mine 99% of the time, it will connect to the BCM successfully. Mine is the Bluetooth connection between the BCM and the Control panel so this may differ if yours is the newer one that is hard wired.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
joekrulder

Thanks for this reply! I did try this already, three times. Still no connection to the BCM, and to make matters worse, without the BCM, I have not hot water, no chance to turn on electric or propane water heating. I am majorly bummed. But I really do appreciate the suggestion!!!
Old 02-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
MattHelm21

As Tom posted, the BCM is typically located in the pass through storage area(in my case mounted on the rear wall). It has two large thumb wheels on it for removal of the cover. I’ve read documentation which says there is a reset button on the main board but I’ve never found one on mine. I have to remove 12Volts from it. I’ve only been able to do this with the battery disconnect switch.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
bobbecky

https://in-command.net/faqs/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:59 AM   #9
MarkEHansen

I believe the BCM includes some fuses. I would remove the cover and check each of the fuses using a tester.

Also, consider getting an ECM.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #10
ChuckS

Give the folks at at Jensen support a call. They are pretty good at helping out

https://in-command.net/control-systems/

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #11
ChuckS

And it sounds like the blue tooth is not pairing up so hopefully should be easy fix

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
joekrulder

Thanks to everyone pointing me to the website for Keystone's In-Command Control System. It's terrific to have that resource. I am thinking that the display unit works, it just cannot connect to the BCM. I am thinking, therefore, if logic is involved (ha!), that the BCM itself lost 12-volts, or the 12 volts is there, but the BCM is broke and refuses to use it. Aside from the battery, is there equipment between the 12vdc from the battery to the BCM?
Old 02-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #13
joekrulder

For all those concerned and have followed this thread, the problem has been resolved. Someone suggested resetting the BCM. The location of it, though, was a mystery. With the help of Keystone, I found the BCM, I just could not reach it. So, remembering my old navy days where we prayed to the principle of "master reset" - i killed the power to the entire trailer... waited a minute ... cycled the power back on, and voila, the BCM now talks to the display panel. Thank you, everone, Really!
Old 02-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
CampNBrew2

Glad the reset worked. I was recently on the phone with AT&T tech support when their help system crashed. I got to ask them to try and reboot it LOL.

Are you telling me there's no way to turn the lights on if this thing goes on the fritz? Are there manual overrides for everything connected to that system? Technology is cool while it works, until it doesn't.
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
MarkEHansen

I have a 2019 26RBSWE with iN-Command. It controls most of the lights, the HVAC, water heater and the slides (I think that's it).

There are manual switches in the cabin for the main interior lights (main cabin and bedroom). There are other lights which are manual only so they are not impacted.

I can move the slide and awning using the manual methods, but it's a real pain.

I don't know of any way to control the HVAC or water heater. I'm not sure there is no way, I just don't know of a way.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #16
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekrulder View Post
For all those concerned and have followed this thread, the problem has been resolved. Someone suggested resetting the BCM. The location of it, though, was a mystery. With the help of Keystone, I found the BCM, I just could not reach it. So, remembering my old navy days where we prayed to the principle of "master reset" - i killed the power to the entire trailer... waited a minute ... cycled the power back on, and voila, the BCM now talks to the display panel. Thank you, everone, Really!

Our Navy training pays off sometimes. Glad it’s fixed.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #17
OHIOJERRY

I've had the same problem with my 2016 Outback. Every time there is a power flicker the control panel cannot reconnect to the BCM. My fix is to disconnect the shore power and turn off the battery disconnect switch for 30 seconds or so. Re-energize everything and the control panel reconnects.
Jerry
OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #18
MarkEHansen

Do you have an ECM?
Old 03-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #19
kjohn

I read these posts with interest. We will be taking delivery of a 2019 22RBS this Spring. I see that it has the In-Command setup. I recently bought an ECM, so hopefully that will help. I work Spring and Fall for a big farm. Some of the machines I run have a maze of electronic gizmos, digital, bluetooth, satellite, and hard-wired, so I am not worried about learning.

More than once, I've had to shut a $750,000 combine down, isolate the batteries, and wait a bit. Usually that works!