Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2023, 04:08 PM   #1
Squanto

Winterizing as a full timer

Weather is predicting an overnight freeze by next weekend.

I have a heated water hose waiting for me to pick up. I will probably empty the fresh tank and run the pump a bit to clear those lines. I'm wondering how well pex handles cold? Do we need to dribble a faucet?

How cold does it need to get to turn on the waste tank heater(s)? I assume there are 3?

Since we're on shore power, is there a need to turn on the battery heat? The Victron Smart Solar MPPT 100/30 has a Low Temp Cutoff at 41 deg sp I'm assuming it has some sensor and won't damage the batteries in the cold.

Anything else I need to be concerned with now while I have some time?
Old 10-08-2023, 04:54 PM   #2
LHaven

If you're a stationary full-timer, those skirting pontoons are a big help.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:28 PM   #3
TXiceman

When we full timed, the way we winterized was head south for warmer weather.

But a heated water hose is not your savior. The faucet still has to be insulated to keep it from freezing. Also, what are you doing to keep the sewer hose from freezing?

When we got caught in freezing weather, we filled the freshwater tank, drained the black and gray tanks, and stored the hoses. We used tank water until we needed a refill and then got out the water hose to fill the tank if the park had running water. Some places in the north shut down the water supply and drain their pipes.

If the waste tanks need draining, we got out the sewer hose and drained and then stored the hose.

We had a true 4-season 5er with dual pane windows, radiant heat barrier and extra insulation. Winter in an RV is not fun, especially a 3-season RV.

Ken
Old 10-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #4
Squanto

Skirting not allowed here.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:50 PM   #5
Squanto

I hear you on heading south but we need to stay here until the 3rd and maybe a bit more. Then we're likely on our way back to Texas for the rest of the winter.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:12 PM   #6
bobbecky

We have no tank heaters, regular batteries, but do have a heated water hose. Some years ago, we were north of KC, MO until early December and experienced temps in the low teens, and one night down to 9 degrees and had no issues other than a 7 gallon propane cylinder only lasted 48 hours. Our tanks did not freeze and the water hose was connected to the park hose bib which had heat tape and insulation, so never had loss of water.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:35 AM   #7
Samthetramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto View Post
I hear you on heading south but we need to stay here until the 3rd and maybe a bit more. Then we're likely on our way back to Texas for the rest of the winter.
Staying there till the 3rd of________? Where is there at? What type of camper? since you said tank and battery heaters I assume it's at least claiming to be a 4 season. I've been thru winters where it's below freezing for months on end in extreme NW Indiana. Been a full timer using my camper for work for 10 years now in both a 4 season and a 1 season camper. If it's just dipping below for a few hours a night for a few days then heating back up above freezing during the day I wouldn't get too concerned. If the campground spigot doesn't have heat tape or isn't wrapped up maybe wrap it in a towel or blanket then cover with a trash bag to cut the wind and give a little insulation. If your water connection isn't behind a door cover it too. If it makes you feel better by dripping the water do so but empty the grey tank prior so you don't have bigger problems trying to solve a smaller one.

If your heated hose is there by then I wouldn't worry about dripping the water. I only do that when it gets around zero degrees or below.

Again this is based on temps going below overnight for a few hours then warming up above during the day. More than that will require more effort and money
Samthetramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 05:22 AM   #8
skids

You can easily deal with a SHORT overnight low of 28F to 32F but I would not bet on predictions more than a few days. If the short term temps are to be freezing during the day, I would winterize. I would have plenty of the pink stuff ready for winterization and a 5 gallon jug for water to cook and clean with, and plan on using the campsite's restrooms and showers. No water down the drain after winterization.
Old 10-14-2023, 06:22 AM   #9
notanlines

Keep in mind that RV’ers should never let the water trickle. It will allow ice to build up in your drain hose and you’ll wake to a flooded RV.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 06:47 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

I wouldn’t worry about the batteries. A lithium battery can tolerate subzero temperatures, but do need to be above a certain temp to charge, which is why good lithium batteries have a heater circuit built in which will raise the battery temp to accept a charge. Tanks and water lines in the belly should be ok as long as you run the furnace and keep your tank heaters on. I would fill the water tank and draw off that and refill as needed, and only connect/drain tanks when full.

We have camped in below freezing temps and even in a snowstorm with no issues and we don’t have anything like tank heaters or heated batteries
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 09:05 AM   #11
Camping family

Okay I won’t want yo steal the thread. But I also have some questions. I’m full time while mostly on out 3761fl Montana. Just bought a few months ago and on a permanent site. Says it’s a 4 season camper. My plan for the winter in Southeastern Nc. Doesn’t get real cold mostly in the 40 range but we do get the few nights when it will get into the low 30’s upper 20’s not many. Day temp Hardly ever lower then upper 30’s low 40’s. My plan when at the camper is to use a heated water hose. Run tank heaters at night When not I will turn water off and drain the hose. Leave the tank heaters on and keep the heat set at 68 whether we are at the camper or not. We stay at it weeks at a time and spend a few days at home which isn’t but about a 45 minute drive. What’s everyone’s thoughts.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 11:49 AM   #12
dinmi

Lived in camper in MI for a year

We lived in our 4 season (more like an enhanced 3 season) our first year living in Michigan (waiting for housing prices to bottom out, sell our house in Indiana, and find the right property in Michigan) Heat tape is your friend for everything. We hit 15 below zero a couple of times during that winter and didn't top 32 degrees until late February and we managed to keep things flowing. Even with a heated hose we wrapped the hose in foam pipe insulation (think pool noodles with a slit in them), taped it closed, added heat tape to the outside and then another round of foam tube pipe insulation. To insulate our tank connect - we got flexible fiberglass insulation used for round air ducts and wrapped the sewer hose. Taped it and then wrapped it in heat tape. Once the heat tape was in place we wrapped it again with the insulation (make sure to get the kind that has the foil backing, not the paper backing) in the duct insulation. We got small bails of straw (some places sell half bails) and set them around the tank controls. We kept a buffer of about 12 - 18" so that there was no risk of contacting the heat tape and it acted somewhat as warming chamber. It took a while to do it and might have been over kill but it was the first (and last) time that we were living in the unit through a Michigan winter and I was not about to fight frozen pipes, water lines and the sewer line. Ultimately we did add straw bales around the entire trailer. We couldn't have skirting, but we could have straw bales for the winter (and then all of us had a big bond fire in the spring to get rid of the straw). The other thing we did was we kept the doors under the sinks, etc. open on the really cold nights to let warm air get into the pipes under the sinks.
dinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 07:29 PM   #13
rhagfo

We park host full time, and winter in the PNW, temps get down to the teens, we have no issues. Home made heated hose, regular RV hose with heat tape longer than hose to cover faucet and camper inlet, foam pipe insulation to seal it all up. Inclosed belly, tank heaters, run furnace to keep basement warm. Not really something I worry about unless we get to single digits.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing