Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #41
hankaye

Howdy All;

As I dwell in mine on a full time basis my object it to keep it
as clean as possible. I dump mine regularly on Saturdays. If
it ain't sayin' it's full I fill it with the foot valve. Then go about
my routine. 3 1/2 years (almost), and no pyramids (touch wood).
2 1/2 years in the old TT and no pyramids either... (had a flush
wand for that one).
'tater salad should be eat'n off'n a paper plate and should have
some drippins from the ribs or some other slow cooked critter to
enhance the flavors of both...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #42
Desert185

OCD with regard to black tank cleaning is a frustrating and futile effort. Just use the black tank flush system on an every two or three time basis and don't put corn in your tater salad. OCD that tater salad in another manner that will quell your impulsive culinary attempts and be of less concern when removing solids from your black tank.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #43
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
I took the time to watch this 25 minute video, and there's clear and compelling argument to use the in-tank spray systems based on the experiments performed in the film.

Clear points proven:

1. The in-tank spray systems are the only way to clean the walls of your tank. Refilling the tank from the dump end does not really remove any significant amount of debris.

2. The in-tank spray systems do the best job of clearing out a good deal of whats on the floor of the tank. You may have to close the valve and let the spray run for a couple of minutes and then dump again to accomplish this very acceptable level of clean.

3. A clear fitting at the dump fitting doesn't give a true picture of what's been removed from the tank unless you use the in-tank spray cleaner.

One point I would argue is that the Sewer Solution is an effective tank cleaning device. It's not. Its primary function is as a water flow driven pump to dump your tanks in situations where the standard 3" dump hoses can not be used. I had two of them and used them at my last home. They both broke over time and I did not replace them. (#2 was a warranty replacement and did not hold up any better than the original.) They do work as advertised, but use a lot of water. We were on a well there, and had volume issues so the running the Sewer Solution was not ideal. The spray clean out capabilities of the Sewer Solution are effective only in the piping near the dump port. Like other similar devices, it doesn't put any useful spray up in the tank. I discounted it as a cleaning device then and even more so now.

The real purpose of cleaning the tank here is to keep as much debris off the sensors as possible and to prevent any chance of a DBP (dreaded black pyramid.) When we had the Sunline, the black tank was only about 7" tall and did not have a built-in spray system. But the toilet was only inches above the tank so I could use one of the spray wands very effectively. With the Cougar, the tank is taller, but it has sprayer systems. After I dump and rinse with the in-tank sprayer, I look down the toilet with a flashlight. All I usually see is water and the tank floor. If there's no remaining visible debris and the water runs clear at the dump fitting, I am more than satisfied.

"Tater salad" stays in the fridge!

Now, I'm really beginning to wonder why there's no spray system in the gray tanks, especially the one that serves the galley. The buildup of food and grease on the walls and floor must be really ugly. I don't have the time to install an in-tank spray system right now, but it has been placed on my list of mods for next season. I am going to take a closer look at cleaning agents in the next couple of weeks.
Im with ya on the Grey tank!!! I have that second grey (Galley Island) tank and it smells worse than the black tank when dumping.... I have used bleach in there in the past abd it seems to help but I think Im with you and will look more into adding a Sani FLush set up like our Blank tank has.

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote