Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Jim7411

In the Boonies

Boonville, California that is. Just bought a 2012 Premier 28RL. Not too impressed with what $30K buys these days. Somewhat shoddy craftsmanship. The worst is the shower! Where the wall meets the shower pan there's a gap on one side that Keystone tried to fill with loads of silicone caulking. The wall panel is loose and the caulking didn't seal. I complained to the dealer and he says (of course) that they're all like that. Anybody else have this problem? Other than that it tows like a dream and the wife and I are looking forward to many excellent adventures and a chance to see more of our beautiful country.
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Outbackmel

Welcome aboard

You know, by following this forum, you will be receiving all types of advice. Most is good. BUT, you know, some folks are more picky than others. After all types of RV'ing; boats, motorcycles and horses; they all have faults; and if they don't, they will develop over time Enjoy your new RV and use the heck out of it. If it leaks in the shower wall, fix it and move on. If not, leave it alone.

LOVE California and jealous we live east. Lived in Monterey; Pacific Grove and Anaheim many years ago. Hook that camper up and GO,GO,GO every opportunity you have.

Enjoy....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
LarryL

you live a great part of this country,I'm sure you will camp at Hendy Woods,
what a great campground,been a few years since i was there used to take
the family there all the time when you did not have to make reservations.
have a good time with your trailer and just fix the little things yourself,
the dealer has your money and thats the only fix they want.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Flyguy

Since you have already bought the RV it's too late to use the PDI checklist that I provide for use BEFORE you buy and hand over the check! Had you done so it would have revealed the glaring gap in the tub wall and you could have then brought it to the attention of the dealer. I guarantee you that the answer would have been "we'll fix that for you" from the dealer instead of "there're all that way" and you could have opted out of the buy and looked for another RV. So for folks still looking at RVs here is the PDI checklist; http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-Deli...0Checklist.pdf I assure you that the moderators would appreciate it if people would use it and do their homework before they buy because they're the ones that have to contend with all the bellyaching after the fact! Bad idea not to use the checklist.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Jim7411

Sheesh, I didn't think I'd get a lecture when I posted. You sound like my mother! All kidding aside, your advice was good. This was our first trailer and we were so enthralled we didn't do our due diligence. Next time we'll be a little more attentive to details.
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Flyguy

Please excuse me but in all the years on forums that I've had you are the first to admit that the responsibility for knowing rests with the buyer! They mostly come to forums to blame the dealer and the manufacturer and God help them if they paid someone to wash their RV. Anyway welcome to our forum!!! didn't mean to be so to the point but after a while you just get tired of hearing it. BTW I've been accused of being like my father but never like my mother! LOL
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
slewis95407

Jim7411

During my PDI I was told that the shower wall doesn't attach to the pan. It is supposed to float and do not fill the pan with water like it was a tub. Put there should not be a gap that you can see through.

I was the campground host for the summers of 08-09 at Hendy Woods. It is sad to tell you that the park is on the closure list and won't reopen next summer.

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
slewis95407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
LarryL

thats to bad Scott its been 10 years and before that it was back when the
Russian hermit was camped there,talked to him one time he told us to get
away from his camp we left.
our kids really liked that place as my wife and i did,we will have to go
up there for a day before the end of this year
Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Our shower has been installed the same way. The wall panel does overlap the bottom shower pan by a significant margin and there is no open gap between the two. A friend who has the identical model and floorplan (but 1 yr newer) has exactly the same shower with a similar and uncaulked overlap. Neither of us have experienced or seen any signs of dampness or leaking below this area. The overlap appears to be enough to prevent any splashback ------????
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
billw

2005 Laredo

We took ours out for the first time 2 weeks ago and also noticed a shower leak. I attached a couple of pictures. The first one shows the wall meeting the pan. At first I thought the over lap would be enough to prevent a leak. After the first shower though leaked very bad outside the shower from where the second picture shows. I have considered just siliconing the gap between the wall and the pan but wanted another opinion before I jumped right in to it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	601   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower 2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	602  
billw is offline   Reply With Quote