Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
sandy43

Chocks with Level-Up System?

Those with 6 point Level-up systems, do you also use chocks? I personally never have. I don't see how chocks would help with 6 points on the ground. But, I want to do what's best, that's why I'm asking. Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
EVMIII

I always chock my Alpine before I ever unhook. Keeps trailer secure while unhooking. They may or not help much once leveled depending on how level the site is, but I have always had atleast one side on the ground so I leave them in place.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Harleyhop

I also chock before unhooking and keep them on until I hookup to leave. It might be me but I believe it makes the coach more stable.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
Pull Toy

I always chock. It takes some stress off of the two front landing gear prior to dropping the other four legs.

I agree with Harleyhop that it seems to add some stability.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you think about how the 6-point system works, you'll come to the conclusion that chocks are REQUIRED (not optional). I say that because the operational sequence of the 6-point system requires that the trailer be disconnected from the tow vehicle BEFORE the jacks are ever lowered. There's even a warning to move the tow vehicle from under the trailer before starting the "level-up" process.

So, to have a trailer sitting, not connected to the tow vehicle, without the jacks supporting the trailer, will place the trailer in a condition where it "could roll" if on uneven ground, if a wind blows it, etc. Before unhitching the trailer, it must be secured to prevent any possible movement (rolling downhill) by using chocks under the wheels. I'd suggest that few of us would, after leveling the trailer, remove the chocks, then place them under the wheels again before raising the jacks when getting ready to tow again.

Once they're put on the ground, why not leave them in place? Even if the wheels are lifted off the ground, you'll still need chocks in place when the wheels are lowered again.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
canesfan

I use chocks if I'm on an unlevel spot, and leave them there after leveling. If I'm on a level spot I don't usually use them unless I need to back into them to release the kingpin. I've never had a trailer roll away on a level spot without chocks. But everyone has their own "quirks" about the right way to do things or what makes them feel comfortable. If chocks make you feel more comfortable, by all means go for it.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Canonman

Use them every time. Made it a habit when we had a bumper pull and never changed. Also, I set the chocks for both forward and reward roll. I guessed wrong one time thinking the slope was to the front. It wasn't but fortunately when the front tire rolled back it stopped against the backside of the rear wheel chock. True the landing gear on the 5er makes things much more stable, but I did witness/participate in a rather panicked response to chocking a neighbors 5th wheel when it started sliding backward as the owner unhooked and was driving his truck forward. When it was over we all enjoyed a cold beverage and swore we'd always chock our wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0689 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	12805  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
MarkS

I talked to guy who's 5er slid in a badly un-level site. I always put the chocks down before I un-hitch. Fore and back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #9
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you think about how the 6-point system works, you'll come to the conclusion that chocks are REQUIRED (not optional). I say that because the operational sequence of the 6-point system requires that the trailer be disconnected from the tow vehicle BEFORE the jacks are ever lowered. There's even a warning to move the tow vehicle from under the trailer before starting the "level-up" process.

So, to have a trailer sitting, not connected to the tow vehicle, without the jacks supporting the trailer, will place the trailer in a condition where it "could roll" if on uneven ground, if a wind blows it, etc. Before unhitching the trailer, it must be secured to prevent any possible movement (rolling downhill) by using chocks under the wheels. I'd suggest that few of us would, after leveling the trailer, remove the chocks, then place them under the wheels again before raising the jacks when getting ready to tow again.

Once they're put on the ground, why not leave them in place? Even if the wheels are lifted off the ground, you'll still need chocks in place when the wheels are lowered again.
That is going to create a lot of damage to "one's" pick-up! You had better lower the "front landing legs" before you "unhook!"

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:35 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
That is going to create a lot of damage to "one's" pick-up! You had better lower the "front landing legs" before you "unhook!"
You're absolutely correct !!!!! Attempting to disconnect the tow vehicle with ALL the jacks (including the landing gear) in the up position will cause a lot of damage. Most (I see now not all) owners would take that into consideration when unhitching their truck from their fifth wheel.

So, I won't edit my original post (it's also quoted above) but would add: "Lower the landing gear before unhitching the truck, even though the center/rear jacks are in the up position and aren't touching the ground."

Thanks, Alpine, for pointing out my omission. I'll try harder to be more precise on future posts

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
BuxCamper

Chock! Better and cheaper to be safe and not sorry.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
brad2388

Always chock the side i know thats going to stay on thr ground. If you dont know throwna level on the camper and put the chocks on the side of the level thats down.

Saves the front seals and rods in the front landing gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #13
gearhead

Chock always. But, I chock loosely, leaving about 1-2" between the chock and the tire.
Two experiences to relate...the first one I have told before..never hit that auto level button until the truck is completely out from under the 5th. Even if it's lightning and about to pour down rain. Krylon glossy black fixed it.
Second one just happened...hooked up to leave a very unlevel site. Tires were chocked. Did my "tug test" and watched the king pin slide down the hitch. I slammed on the brake and the chocks caught it at the same time, before it got off the hitch. Front legs were barely off the ground and may have caught it. Tailgate was down. Yeah, it was pouring down rain.
So..always chock and always tug test.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #14
sandy43

Thanks guys for the info.. I'll start using chocks.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Chock always. But, I chock loosely, leaving about 1-2" between the chock and the tire.
Two experiences to relate...the first one I have told before..never hit that auto level button until the truck is completely out from under the 5th. Even if it's lightning and about to pour down rain. Krylon glossy black fixed it.
Second one just happened...hooked up to leave a very unlevel site. Tires were chocked. Did my "tug test" and watched the king pin slide down the hitch. I slammed on the brake and the chocks caught it at the same time, before it got off the hitch. Front legs were barely off the ground and may have caught it. Tailgate was down. Yeah, it was pouring down rain.
So..always chock and always tug test.
Can you elaborate a bit on exactly how you do the "tug test"? I'm assuming after hookup and "retract all" you drop the front landing gear until it almost touches, then drive forward just enough to make sure the hitch is properly closed? Something like that?

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #16
gearhead

Hook up, visually check, hook up wiring from 5th to truck, leave tailgate down, retract all. Stop the front legs when they just come off the ground. Put the truck in gear and manually activate the trailer brake from the truck dash board. It might roll 1-2 feet before the brakes grab. You want to give it a decent tug to be sure it is hitched.
edit add...when I hit the 2 buttons to hook up, the rear jacks retract and the front legs go to the position they were in when I un hooked.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #17
Javi

My routine is similar.. I raise rear jacks, move front jacks to hookup position, hookup, then raise front jacks until truck just takes the weight of the trailer.. then lock hitch handle and breakaway cable, plug in cord and visually check hitch jaw... shut tailgate..

Get in the truck, foot on brake, shift to drive , activate and hold brake paddle while letting off truck brake and tapping accelerator lightly.
After putting selector back in park I get out and hit retract all button. Raise and pin landing gear... then DW & I check running, signal and brake lights.. I rock trailer to free chocks, DW pulls and drops them in the bed on the way to her seat and we're on our way...

Javi
Old 06-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #18
Rhinoone82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
My routine is similar.. I raise rear jacks, move front jacks to hookup position, hookup, then raise front jacks until truck just takes the weight of the trailer.. then lock hitch handle and breakaway cable, plug in cord and visually check hitch jaw... shut tailgate..

Get in the truck, foot on brake, shift to drive , activate and hold brake paddle while letting off truck brake and tapping accelerator lightly.
After putting selector back in park I get out and hit retract all button. Raise and pin landing gear... then DW & I check running, signal and brake lights.. I rock trailer to free chocks, DW pulls and drops them in the bed on the way to her seat and we're on our way...

Javi
Javi, my wife and I have pretty much the same procedure as you. But I need to ask what you use for your chocks? This last trip out we did almost the same as you except I had my wife do the driving out of the park. Trying to get her more accustomed to the procedures. I did all the walk arounds and grabbed the chocks, the large plastic ones that are the width of the trailer, and threw them in the bed of the truck against the tailgate. Now I have done this same thing for the last 2 years with no issues. Well I got home and went to unhitch and one of the chocks is gone. Somehow it must have been blown out of the bed as there were no stops along the way home. The only thing I can think of is my last truck had a short bed. The new truck has an 8ft bed. Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Javi

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...HjYaAsL-8P8HAQ
Lots of turbulence in the bed pulling a 5th wheel, especially with a solid tailgate.

I've even seen the chocks above blow around if I don't put them against the cab.

Javi
Old 06-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #20
Rhinoone82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...HjYaAsL-8P8HAQ
Lots of turbulence in the bed pulling a 5th wheel, especially with a solid tailgate.

I've even seen the chocks above blow around if I don't put them against the cab.

Javi
Thanks alot. I was just amazed that one was missing. My wife even commented that if she had been the one putting them in to the bed that I would have said that she must have left one on the ground. Like I said 2 full years of doing this with the last truck and they were always right where we put them. Right at the tailgate. Figured there would be no way that they could "bounce" out between the trailer and the top of the bed. Guess I will go with what you use.