Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
jayt

Cougar Xlite water heater access

Hi All,
My better half and I have just aquired a new Cougar Xlite 29res, we are pretty happy with it so far but I do have a question...can anyone tell me how to access the back of the water heater?

I've searched everywhere I can think of with no luck and finally removed the partition in the passthrough and half climbed into the storage compartment to open the bypass...thinking there has to be a better way, what am I missing???

Any and all assistance is appreciated
THX
J
jayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
Dr Bobs Patient

On my 333MKS Cougar, the only access to the water heater is from the exterior access panel. I have no clue where the bypass is on mine. So I'm hoping you get some answers.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bobs Patient View Post
On my 333MKS Cougar, the only access to the water heater is from the exterior access panel. I have no clue where the bypass is on mine. So I'm hoping you get some answers.
In the 333... open the cabinet directly above the fuse panel... there will be 4 screws in the back wall of the cabinet, one in each corner...

Javi
Old 05-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
Bingo 57

Yep, that's just how I have to it as well. Not what I call real "convent" !! Once I remove the panel everything is right there. Just a PIA !
Bingo 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:19 AM   #5
WiscTraveler

As the proud owner of a 2017 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES I can tell you the water heater is on the street ( drivers ) side towards the back of the pass through compartment door. Yes you have to reach inside a bit to get to the valve. I have had my unit for a year in July and made many modifications. Any questions in regards to the 29RES I would be more than eager to help out.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy your new Cougar. Sounds like WiscTraveler answered your question. Have fun.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Scarem

I have the same 29res. Wisc is correct. You have to unscrew the side wall in the storage area to access the heater and its bypass valve
Scarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
MerlinB

I have a 2016 XLite 28SGS and like most of you my water heater is located on the street side behind the back wall of the pass through storage compartment. I discovered early on that the only way to access the bypass valve was to remove that back wall. I had the entire back wall out to gain access to that space to install my PD EMS and the changeover switch box for the inverter that I had installed. I decided then that I did not want to have to remove that wall every time I needed to access the bypass valve. So, I used a hole saw to cut an opening in the panel and made a cover plate that is secured with four screws. When it comes time to switch the valve I remove three screws and loosen the fourth and rotate the cover plate and reach inside to manipulate the valve. Then re-install the screws until the next time. I don't remember the exact size of the hole saw that I used but the cover plate is five inches square.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160322_193841.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	12550   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160327_180236_001.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	12551  
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
jayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscTraveler View Post
As the proud owner of a 2017 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES I can tell you the water heater is on the street ( drivers ) side towards the back of the pass through compartment door. Yes you have to reach inside a bit to get to the valve. I have had my unit for a year in July and made many modifications. Any questions in regards to the 29RES I would be more than eager to help out.
I want to thank everyone for their response...seems a bit inconvenient but it is what it is, has anyone added a winterization kit to this rig? Wondering about that now too?
Old 05-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
jayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
I have a 2016 XLite 28SGS and like most of you my water heater is located on the street side behind the back wall of the pass through storage compartment. I discovered early on that the only way to access the bypass valve was to remove that back wall. I had the entire back wall out to gain access to that space to install my PD EMS and the changeover switch box for the inverter that I had installed. I decided then that I did not want to have to remove that wall every time I needed to access the bypass valve. So, I used a hole saw to cut an opening in the panel and made a cover plate that is secured with four screws. When it comes time to switch the valve I remove three screws and loosen the fourth and rotate the cover plate and reach inside to manipulate the valve. Then re-install the screws until the next time. I don't remember the exact size of the hole saw that I used but the cover plate is five inches square.
I'm wondering if something like this is doable from inside, through the floor maybe?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
BuxCamper

If the panel hiding the water heater bypass valve only has a couple of screws you could attach it with Velcro and save the wear and tear on the screw holes. I did this on my previous camper and it took me all of 1 second to access the bypass valves.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayt View Post
I'm wondering if something like this is doable from inside, through the floor maybe?
I don't think so. On my 27RKS the shower sits directly over the water heater so access from above would be a problem. I did something very similar to MerlinB, but used a 5" marine access plate, cut the hole, mounted the plate framework and reinstalled the wall. Now all I have to do is remove the access plate, reach in and turn the bypass valve.
https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Round-...CM4KDZMFWRK71N
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DECK PLATE.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	12553  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #13
MerlinB

Quote:
I don't think so. On my 27RKS the shower sits directly over the water heater so access from above would be a problem.
I agree, my water heater is directly below the shower also. That marine access panel is a great idea. I didn't know such a thing existed.

Also, JAYT, I'm not sure what you mean by "adding a winterization kit." If you are referring to the common W/H winterization bypass setup with three valves and a crossover line, you don't really need that. That same function is accomplished in our water heaters by means of that bypass valve we are talking about and the check valve in the hot water outlet of the W/H.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 05-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
I agree, my water heater is directly below the shower also. That marine access panel is a great idea. I didn't know such a thing existed.

Also, JAYT, I'm not sure what you mean by "adding a winterization kit." If you are referring to the common W/H winterization bypass setup with three valves and a crossover line, you don't really need that. That same function is accomplished in our water heaters by means of that bypass valve we are talking about and the check valve in the hot water outlet of the W/H.
I promise you the check valve don't work as well as isolating the hot & cold lines...
Old 05-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #15
jayt

Quote:

Hi All,
After some week end investigation it seems that the shower is directly above the hot water heater...so an access door is in the near future...as for the winterization...in my old Fleetwood I used to just add the antifreeze to the water tank through the tank fill and used the pump to move it through the lines. The new Cougar doesn't have a separate tank fill, it is integrated with the city water inlet. The dealer told me I would need a winterization kit to pump directly from the anti freeze bottle.
THX
J
Old 05-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #16
canesfan

Quote:
Hi All,
After some week end investigation it seems that the shower is directly above the hot water heater...so an access door is in the near future...as for the winterization...in my old Fleetwood I used to just add the antifreeze to the water tank through the tank fill and used the pump to move it through the lines. The new Cougar doesn't have a separate tank fill, it is integrated with the city water inlet. The dealer told me I would need a winterization kit to pump directly from the anti freeze bottle.
THX
J
They don't have a winterization port on a newer Cougar??? Jeez. What' next to get left off?
Old 05-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
MerlinB

If you really want to pump anti-freeze through your water pipes it is very easy to add anti-freeze to the fresh water tank and send it through the system with your water pump. If you look at the photo of the docking station you can see a screened opening next to the hose connection that is labeled "Tank Vent." That Screen is nothing more than a screen type hose washer which can be removed by pulling it out with an awl or sharp pointed scribe and the you can pour your anti-freeze directly into the water tank through that opening. Just be sure to press that screen washer back into the opening when you are finished to keep the bugs out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160308_153203.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	12582  
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 05-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #18
jayt

Quote:
If you really want to pump anti-freeze through your water pipes it is very easy to add anti-freeze to the fresh water tank and send it through the system with your water pump. If you look at the photo of the docking station you can see a screened opening next to the hose connection that is labeled "Tank Vent." That Screen is nothing more than a screen type hose washer which can be removed by pulling it out with an awl or sharp pointed scribe and the you can pour your anti-freeze directly into the water tank through that opening. Just be sure to press that screen washer back into the opening when you are finished to keep the bugs out.
Hi Merlin...THX Much great tip...never occurred to me to use the vent
Old 05-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
Javi

Quote:
Hi Merlin...THX Much great tip...never occurred to me to use the vent
Winterizing that trailer is really simply and it is unnecessary to put antifreeze in the freshwater tank... Completely unnecessary.....

You find the water pump (there will be access) if it is a Flojet all you need is a 1/2" fitting for the quick connect https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-20381-.../dp/B0000AZ771 and a few feet of 1/2" clear tubing...

If it is a Shurflo then you need this https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-P.../dp/B0006JJ588 or make up your own it ain't difficult..

Our even better if you think you're gonna keep the trailer a few years... spend a hour and hard plumb it in... no muss... no fuss
Old 05-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Javi. There's no reason to add antifreeze to the fresh water tank. All that does is cause you problems flushing it out in the spring as well as increasing the amount of antifreeze from 2 or 3 gallons to 6 or 8 or more gallons. With a FloJet pump, it's a quick unlock of a snap-lock, pull the fitting, install the new fitting, snap the lock in place, put the hose in a gallon of antifreeze and turn on the pump. Once finished with all the winterizing, unlock the snap-lock, pull the fitting, reinstall the original fitting from the water tank and lock it in place. You're done and don't have to worry about flushing pink stuff out of your water tank in the spring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, heat, heater, water, water heater