Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2016, 05:22 AM   #1
Banjopicks

Thumbs down Montana HC blinds

We just picked it up this weekend and 2 of the blinds were broken. Even though we stayed on the dealers lot, we never thought to test all the blinds. OMG! They're built like C@#p. The ones that aren't broken work very well but I don't understand how they could ship broken blinds in the first place.

The toilet seal was misaligned and we had that fixed before leaving.

The caulking at the bottom of the shower slides leaked profusely. We had them look at it but they suggested that it was because we were slightly tilted. For some reason, I halfheartedly agreed and ended up re-caulking it myself the next day.

We have a good mattress in storage to replace the junk they gave us.

This is all minor stuff that they will fix so I'm not concerned. Other than these problems, what a wonderful RV. I love the residential fridge, fire place and theater seats.
Banjopicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:01 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Re: Montana HC blinds

Glad to hear it was a positive experience for the most part. Blind may have fine at the factory but damaged in transit. Should be an easy warranty fix.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
gnirwin

We bought a new Alpine earlier this year. The fireplace didn't work, the inverter didn't work and a few cosmetic issues came up. All repaired & replaced by my dealer with support from keystone. Don't know if either issue can be blamed on quality control, at least from keystone's position but I think the original mfg of the components should. I really do think there are many quality issues on Asian mfg's. The RV Industry keep buying from the lowest bidder and this is the result. I would add this is our third camper in the last 20 years and the fit and finish is far superior to our earlier campers (1996 Jamboree Class C and our 1999 Damon Park Model.)
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
gearhead

Keep a close eye on the latch for the sliding shower doors. If yours is like mine it's similar to a screen door latch. If you forget to latch it, or it comes loose on its own, the sliding doors will beat themselves to death, and quite possibly the glass will shatter. I'm using spring loaded curtain rods to keep some tension on the doors and 3 pieces of 1" x 1" wood corner trim in the tracks.
No problems with the blinds though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
Jgkopp

If it's the Slow Rise roller blinds your talking about one of our largest ones is apart on our dining room table. I contacted this manufacturer directly and said this is under warranty through Keystone. You can ether send me the replacement parts inside this thing or I go through my dealer and they contact Keystone to fix this. I am fairly capable of fixing this myself as I find it to be much more convenient and I don't mind it. We actually heard it break. The dog was playing on the floor with a toy and even he stopped for a minute. We went to pull down the blind and it just unrolled all the way down. I have to say they did not make this one plastic part that engages with groves in the roller strong enough in my opinion. It just spins now. I hope this is not the beginning of a trend. I also have to say we really like this rig too. Expecting the parts soon, last week they said they were going to ship me what I needed.

John
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElygXOXXGSc
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:09 AM   #6
sjdobbins

We also have a new Montana HC this year and the shower leaked as well. First I caulked the shower side of the track and then the bathroom side. It would still leak on occasion and that drove me crazy. Then I realized in my case that the water was coming through at the ends of the actual track where the bottom track met the vertical or side support. Once I got each end caulked, no more leaks.
sjdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #7
NotyetMHCowner

One of our blinds was bad from the manufacturer also. Where the strings go around the small "stop" that has the teeth on it, one of the strings was on the wrong side of the "stop". They replaced if under warranty. We love the look of the blinds. Makes it feel homey.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Whitewolf

It seems doors leaking is a common problem. Ours did under the bottom guide. When I had our HC at the dealer for a myriad of problems, that was one of them. They fixed it by putting silicon sealer along the edge. Said there wasn't any in the first place.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
Banjopicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
It seems doors leaking is a common problem. Ours did under the bottom guide. When I had our HC at the dealer for a myriad of problems, that was one of them. They fixed it by putting silicon sealer along the edge. Said there wasn't any in the first place.
Same here.
Banjopicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #10
Lawrencejo

We had two blinds replaced and now have three broken, two of which were replaced already. They can't hold up to the jostling going down the road. The small ones are fine. All large have broken sand now it of warranty.
Lawrencejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
Jgkopp

Lawrencejo, I have been able to receive warranty replacement hardware for these larger roller shades from the OEM factory "Irvine Shade and Door, Elkhart, In" by contacting them directly. If you don't mind doing it yourself there are a couple of YouTube videos showing how to take apart the shade. All of my large shades have broke and I was able to receive the parts to fix no questions asked. If you need the contact send me a PM and I will forward contact to you.

It is also interesting that our best friends also bought a Montana and have not had one problem with the shades. They have the upgraded day and night rollers and we only have the night rollers. His is a 2017 and our model is a 2016. They were both bought at the same time exactly a year ago. Anyway, these replacement guts are holding up so far and I hope they figured out what the failure was. Personally I feel it was the plastic wheel (sprocket) that was made to thin and the ends were to week to hold itself into the grooves that are inside the roller tube. Especially with the stress of the larger rollers. Like you said we have not had any problems with the smaller shades as there is less stress and less spring tension. I think these replacement parts have a thicker plastic sprocket wheel. Funny how a 5 cent part can weaken the entire assembly and cause so much grief. The shades I am talking about are the roller type manufactured by Irvine Shade. This is my 2 cents anyway. John
Old 05-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #12
CaptnJohn

When looking at 2016 models it was a little surprise to find better blinds on the Cougar 5ers than Montana 5ers we looked at.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:03 AM   #13
Bushed

I would be happy to find those problems while still at the dealer. Better off there than while on your first trip out and have to head back to the dealer, it's a real inconvenience for me as the closest dealer is 2 and a half hours away. I usually make a running list and drop it off at the dealer for repairs when I can. As for the blinds, I have a 2015 high country and they are the wooden type house blinds. Haven't had a problem as of yet. Shower leaks I had first trip out, ceiling fan pulled out of the ceiling (screws were just driven into paneling) I fixed that myself by using 1/4 inch bolts and nuts, my slide bracket on one slide broke right off while trying to close it, leak at the kitchen sink drain, valance that holds the pot lights above kitchen table fell down (again the screws were just driven into paneling) I hope that's all the bugs I find and this year (second season) is issue free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:58 AM   #14
Jgkopp

Blinds worked great at walk through and for a few months then one by one they completely unrolled. The larger ones.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #15
geobet

I have replaced one slow rise roller shade under warranty last year. Actually the dealer ordered a new one and sent it to me to install. The replacement sent from Irving was broken as well. I had to scavenge parts from the old one to get the new one to work.

Just last week I had the other large shade fail. Took it apart and, just like the others, the plastic parts had broken. Didn't want to go thru the dealer for another warranty issue hassle again, so I called the manufacturer directly. Explained my problem(s) with their shade and asked if I could just order the parts I needed. The rep took my address and is shipping me the parts free if charge to replace the ones that failed. I thought I was the only one experiencing these shade failures.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #16
Dave W

We have the wood slat (glorified Venetian blinds) and have had zero problems with them to date in 18,000 travel miles vs the day-night shade$ in our la$t 5er. Other then a couple minor other interior problems, the major ache has been the big mirrored bedroom closet sliders. The dealer was supposed to have fixed them with a new track but only put the sliders back on the existing track. I understand why he didn't want to as it required a bunch (heluva lot!!) of interior disassembly which I did last fall, using a much better track and wheels. Tomorrow will be the trial run for that as well as the new disc brake system.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
Snoopy

dealer is installing our third set of blinds next week. They are carp.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #18
JAbraham03

Blinds

We have a 2016 370BR and every blind in the thing has been replaced at least once. They are definitely complete junk but what are you going to do. Most annoying part is that Keystone says since we were out of warranty that they were replacing on "good will" the last set. Once they start to break again I am looking for a different solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkopp View Post
Blinds worked great at walk through and for a few months then one by one they completely unrolled. The larger ones.