Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
Bill & Deb

Trailer Tire Dilemma

This spring on my trip back from Florida, I shredded the driver side rear tire on my trailer. There was some minor damage to the trailer which I will fix over the summer.
I had checked the tire pressure a few days before and had nitrogen in them.

Now for the dilemma.
I know that the topic has been hashed out on other forums. But a search of this one did not yield many results.

Do I replace my trailer tires with LT truck tires or stick with ST trailer tires?
It will be a challenge not to use tires made in China as most are. I will not buy the crap that the manufacturer uses 'Trailer King". I'm thinking of going with Michelin but I don't think they make a trailer tire.
As well finding a tire the same size in an LT is proving to be difficult. ST235/80R16

Thoughts !

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
dcg9381

Bill,
Sailun 235/80R16 is what I'd go with. Yep, made in China. I've never seen a report of a factory defect.

Alternatively, you can go with Maxxis, which is made in Thailand, I believe...

Both are excellent choices.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
cw3jason

x2 on the sailun S637. They also come in all position LT or ST flavors, so you can choose either one.
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
notanlines

Bill, x3 on the Sailuns. Now mind you, not because I know they are the "best." I believe there are probably four or five names out there with good tires, Maxxis, Carlisle, Michelin, just to name a few. Our Raptor blew two Trailer Kings last fall on the way to Florida.....$9,000 damage. Sailuns have worked fine so far.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
bobbecky

According to the specs on your rig, your tires will be carrying much less than what an LT235/85R16 can carry, and they will fit your rig fine. Many with the lighter rigs use them with no problem. The specs showed your rig with a GVWR of 13,000 lbs, a little less than 2,000 lbs on the hitch, so 11,000 on four tires works out to about 2,500 lbs per wheel. The LT tires are usually rated 3,042 lbs.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
dcg9381

Note the Saulins come in both ST235/80R16 and ST235/85R16. Get the size that matches your factory tires, going larger may mean that you need to lift.

Likely you'll have to order the tires. My local NTB was listed as an installer for these.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
gearhead

I put Maxxiss on our last 2 fifth wheels, no issues.
Check your wheels for max air pressure. I think the Sailuns are max rated at 110 psi. Be sure your wheels are rated for that if you want to run them at max pressure.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Nagrompj

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

The above link may help. I have "made in USA" Goodyear Wrangler HT 225/75-16LT tires on my trailer. Overkill for my trailer but I have no worries. I like to travel at no more than 65 mph but I could if I wanted or needed. I they are good for something like 90 mph.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Dave W

If you are concerned, both Michelin and Bridgestone make LTs that are rated for trailer use. The Sailuns are overkill for your 5er and the wheels may not be rated for 110 psig, their full capacity operating pressure. Many wheels only need bolt in valves for that 110 psig rating, but you had best check either the wheel or the OEM for that wheel. LTs of the 235/245 sizes are usually rated 3042 pounds at 80 psig. I'm using General Grabbers on our 12K 5er and did as well on the last one. So far they have held up very well
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #10
tgpilot

Michelins work for me. I used to haul RV's coast to coast as a transporter. I find the Michelins to be better. Cost more, but well worth it.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #11
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
If you are concerned, both Michelin and Bridgestone make LTs that are rated for trailer use. The Sailuns are overkill for your 5er and the wheels may not be rated for 110 psig, their full capacity operating pressure. Many wheels only need bolt in valves for that 110 psig rating, but you had best check either the wheel or the OEM for that wheel. LTs of the 235/245 sizes are usually rated 3042 pounds at 80 psig. I'm using General Grabbers on our 12K 5er and did as well on the last one. So far they have held up very well
Going to looking the Michelins. As you said the Sailuns maybe be overkill and I have no idea what the rim is rated for PSI.
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #12
Cherden721

Maxxis tires

Just bought and installed 4 brand new Maxxis for our 2016 Cougar. Installed at our storage lot, no miles put on them, last month. Today, went to get our rv and guess what? A flat! Now have to take one day off our trip for tomorrow to run the wheel to the shop as we live in the south, and just about everything is closed on Sundays.

Why are we having so many tire issues????
About ready to sell.....
Cherden721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
Dave W

Before you lose a day, check the valve cores. It may be as simple as tightening it up or as 'bad' as replacing it. I had that situation on both my truck and the last 5er after the same guy installed new tires. He doesn't do them any longer after a different kind of screw up on the current 5er.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:50 AM   #14
Jim Dow

Goodyear Marathon Tires

I'm using Goodyear Marathon (load range E) on my Montana High Country - made in Taiwan.

Max tire pressure is 80 psi; but I am running them at 70 psi with good results.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #15
CWtheMan

WARNINGS:

Red flags are waving when a tire manufacturer will not warranty their tires when used in applications they do not approve.

Red flags are waving when a retailer says "it’s OK" to mount tires on rims that are not approved for the width of the tire they are saying it’s OK to mount on them.

How many red flags are you willing to ignore with your replacement tires?

The recommendations from your trailer’s manufacturer for replacement tires is not binding. Do you wonder what the ramifications will be when you step outside of the ropes and do as you please and something catastrophic happens?

Excerpt from Keystone owner’s manual;

Tire Size

To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer. (Means the brand name of your Original Equipment tires)

I point that out because some of the warranty packages for LT tires reference the tire safety section of the owner’s manual as a qualifying/disqualifying element in replacement tire selection.

Sure, you’re going to find tire dealers/retailers that will bend their own rules, most often because they think they are right or just don’t know the standards. The basic, across the board standard, is in all of their SOPs. Replacement tires must provide as much or more load capacity as the OE tires do/did. There is no regulation that says replacement tires only need to provide a load capacity equal to the load carried or GVWR or GAWR. That regulation was not written for retailers or consumers, it was written for vehicle manufacturers. It even goes so far as to require them to set GAWR and recommended cold tire inflation pressures.

There are valid options for OE ST tire replacements. You should find them and see which one you can talk your vehicle manufacturer into an agreement with for your selection. Many of the 17.5” low platform trailer tires will be very close to width and diameter of your OE tires, especially if they are 16”. Some of the 17.5” LRF tires are rated at 3530# at 100 PSI, a very nice upgrade for the ST 3520# tires.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #16
Lic0rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherden721 View Post

Why are we having so many tire issues????
About ready to sell.....
This is what I can't get my brain around. My company runs 2 - 16' DRW box trucks. We pack them full and are usually close to max load capacity. In the last 20 years we have run over 2,000,000 miles with not a single blowout and just one flat. Yet, every thread about RV tires is loaded with not just one blowout but multiple ones on the same RV. This does not make sense. The tires we use are made in China, yet no blowouts. I'm starting to suspect that the RV owners are 90% to blame....overloaded, not checking inflation before each tow, purchasing tires too close to max capacity. If I am wrong, please explain why?
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #17
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lic0rice View Post
.................... If I am wrong, please explain why?
Could axle alignment be another contributing factor along with low tire reserve capacity, unbalanced wheels, poor maintenance/monitoring and absent offshore quality oversight?

The biggest factor may be the lack of accountability for a RV tire failure. A TV tire failure gets much more attention and consequence than a TT/FW tire failure in our society.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Could axle alignment be another contributing factor along with low tire reserve capacity, unbalanced wheels, poor maintenance/monitoring and absent offshore quality oversight?

The biggest factor may be the lack of accountability for a RV tire failure. A TV tire failure gets much more attention and consequence than a TT/FW tire failure in our society.
No it is cheap poorly made ST tires, marked as having higher capacity than LT tire which are built better, and have far higher reserves.

Marketing that tells us we "NEED" to use these special trailer tires, because they are "Designed" for trailer use.

Well there is no special "Trailer Tire" for the big rigs!
They use the same tire carcass for steer, traction and trailer!!!

The carcass starts out new, likely as a steer, or traction driver, once capped (likely as a traction at least once) it is moved to the drivers. When the tread is still decent, but not giving great traction it is likely moved to a trailer tire. The next couple of caps are likely simple rib highway tread and they stay on the trailer until retired.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #19
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

Well there is no special "Trailer Tire" for the big rigs!
"Big rig" tires are governed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Automotive and RV trailer tires are governed by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Trucker loads are constantly scrutinized by the industry for proper load capacity and balanced loads across all axles at all weight stations.

Comparisons between the two completely different regulating authorities is just not a viable measuring tool.

Where do you think all that rubber comes from that liters our interstate highway system all across the country?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #20
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
"Big rig" tires are governed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Automotive and RV trailer tires are governed by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Trucker loads are constantly scrutinized by the industry for proper load capacity and balanced loads across all axles at all weight stations.

Comparisons between the two completely different regulating authorities is just not a viable measuring tool.

Where do you think all that rubber comes from that liters our interstate highway system all across the country?
Judging by the amount of rubber, the FMCSA a lot of work to do in setting and enforcing standards for recapping tires.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote