Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Dollarbill60

Holding Tank Level Indicator

Thanks to all who answered my question about the auto changeover on the fridge. This is my first fifth wheel and we really love it. Just one more question for now. We camped last weekend and on our way out I completely dumped the grey and black water tanks completely but noticed that my indicator at my info center still showed 3/4 full. Will this correct itself? Thank you in advance.
Dollarbill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarbill60 View Post
Thanks to all who answered my question about the auto changeover on the fridge. This is my first fifth wheel and we really love it. Just one more question for now. We camped last weekend and on our way out I completely dumped the grey and black water tanks completely but noticed that my indicator at my info center still showed 3/4 full. Will this correct itself? Thank you in advance.
Not sure what tank you are referring to but incorrect readouts are a common problem - especially with the grey and black tanks. After dumping, you might want to use your black tank flush system to clean out the tank and when you have done that, add a few gallons of water along with some detergent or water softener. Having water in the tanks when travelling or while in storage helps keep them "fresh and clean".

The incorrect readouts may clear up or they may continue to give false readings. We all have experienced this and have learned not to get excited about these readings. So relax and not to worry.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Dollarbill60

Thanks for the feedback. I believe the next time I check it all will be fine.
Dollarbill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
GaryWT

In time you will be able to figure out how full your tanks are based on use and number of camping days. The sensors are usually blocked thus incorrect. I rarely even look at mine anymore.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
Pmedic4

This may be a stupid question, but

I'll ask it anyway. How many Gray tanks do you have? Obviously, make sure you dump both.... We have two gray tanks on ours, and it's was hard to find the second tank handle.

Yeah, I felt like an idiot, but figured it out. As somebody else said, the sensors are often wrong, so that was our first thought too. When the kitchen sink backed up, we knew it was more than a bad sensor - duh!

NEW QUESTION for OP
I was just looking, and your RV, the Laredo 29RK has 2 gray water tanks, and 1 black water tank at least for the versions I saw-so DOLLARBILL60, did you pull all three handles?.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:49 AM   #6
spicercars

Even when they are clean they are not very accurate. the more you camp the better you will get at knowing where the tank levels are.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
Pull Toy

A quick and cheap way to clean your black tanks is to put several inches of cold water in them with some dish soap. Just before hitting the road put a 20 lb. bag of ice down the toilet. Let her "slosh" for the duration of your trip. This should clear the pyramid, and remove scrap toilet paper from the gauges.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs down

I play little attention to these indicators. As you get more familiar with your rig and life style you will know when to dump. Most critical to me is the Black Tank, when you flush and it burps back, time to consider a dump. Worst case on gray, water backs up in the shower or sink, its time.

Trying to interrupt these gauges will do nothing but drive you nuts
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:40 AM   #9
SkiSmuggs

FWIW, with my DW and I, we have not filled the black tank in 7 or 8 days of use even if the sensors read full. The battery and fresh tank sensors are fine but the others lie, especially the black tank. And heed the cleaning suggestions in previous posts. Some water softener in the black tank will help keep the inside slick. Also dump in order of dirtiest to cleanest to help flush plumbing and hoses. Black, then kitchen and finally the shower tank.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:24 AM   #10
{tpc}

For my trailer, the black sensor worked like the first or second trip, then decided to just read "E" all the time now lol. Just had a trip this past weekend and the grey has decided it likes to stay on "2/3" or "F" now. Fresh seems to be just fine as is the battery.

I am wondering how hard it is to change out these sensors with better ones that I have seen online. I figure at some point I'll probably have the chloroplast down to see about adding a proper receiver hitch in the back and I figure if I'm going to do that, I might as well try to fix these things as well.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #11
StanDianne

our black tank indicator on our '14 cougar 333mks read 1/3 full after the first dump. dealer also commented that aside from errant toilet paper, condensation can give false readings. as others post, these are "indicators" only. other third party sensors are on the market, and do need some mechanical installation.
StanDianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
roadglide

I have rv dump station at my house so I could do this. I dumped my black tank and it still said 3/4 full. I hooked up the flush system and filled my black tank till it showed in the toilet no leaks. dumped the black 86 gal it exploded out into a tank with small leach line that water the mamosa tree. I left the valve open all is good with the monitors.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #13
Campy

The sensors are a pain, there are better system out there but they work better for "motorhome" size tanks not camper tanks. Depth is the issue, I installed a Seelevel system on my older class A and it was a flawless system as it gave level in percent. I would love to have that on my camper but the tanks are just not deep enough to make it work right.