Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
chris199

Class A noncommercial driver's license issue

Now I find out I must have a Class A licensed driver with me until I take the driver's skills test. That person also must accompany me with the trailer to the exam center.

Truck...GVWR 11,600. New Montana GVWR 16000. GCWR is over 26000 lb so in PA a non commercial Class A license is required.

Issue: I dont know anyone with a Class A non-commercial license even if I wanted to impose upon them. How have others handled?

PA Learner's Permit should be here next week. New RV is scheduled for me to pick up in VT on Apr 10. Complications......

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
Now I find out I must have a Class A licensed driver with me until I take the driver's skills test. That person also must accompany me with the trailer to the exam center.

Truck...GVWR 11,600. New Montana GVWR 16000. GCWR is over 26000 lb so in PA a non commercial Class A license is required.

Issue: I dont know anyone with a Class A non-commercial license even if I wanted to impose upon them. How have others handled?

PA Learner's Permit should be here next week. New RV is scheduled for me to pick up in VT on Apr 10. Complications......
I'll bet anyone with a CDL Class A can also drive you.. not just a non-CDL Class A... know any truck drivers.. or contact the local chapter of Good Sam Club, they should have someone who can help.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
jtyphoid

Yep, ran into the same problem, but with an additional complication. I said that I needed to upgrade to a Class A exempt, so they had me take the written test and schedule the driving test. When I asked when I would receive a learners permit, they told me that since I had already taken the test I could not get a learners permit.

So I couldn't legally pull my 5er even if I did have someone with a Class A to ride along.

Lesson learned: in Texas, ask for a Class A learners permit first, then take the written test and schedule the driving test.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
Yep, ran into the same problem, but with an additional complication. I said that I needed to upgrade to a Class A exempt, so they had me take the written test and schedule the driving test. When I asked when I would receive a learners permit, they told me that since I had already taken the test I could not get a learners permit.

So I couldn't legally pull my 5er even if I did have someone with a Class A to ride along.

Lesson learned: in Texas, ask for a Class A learners permit first, then take the written test and schedule the driving test.
How was the written test, any particular thing you used to study that you would recommend? I plan on taking the trailer myself to take the test, did you have any issue with this? I know that technically this might not be correct but not too worried since I'm guessing 99% of the people pulling the larger 5th wheels don't have the correct license anyways.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
How was the written test, any particular thing you used to study that you would recommend? I plan on taking the trailer myself to take the test, did you have any issue with this? I know that technically this might not be correct but not too worried since I'm guessing 99% of the people pulling the larger 5th wheels don't have the correct license anyways.
If I can find my CDL Handbook I can tell you exactly which sections the questions come from. I'll look for it tomorrow.

I imagine that you need to be careful about how you get to the driving test. It wouldn't surprise me if they keep an eye out for that. My rig somehow got there early in the morning before the DMV office opened. Still don't know how that happened...

Javi's suggestion about truck drivers is a good one. I found a gentleman down the road who said that he could come get me if I failed the test. It wasn't needed, but I sent him a thank you gift anyway.

Edited to add that the Texas CDL Handbook can be downloaded from the DMV web site. All of the test questions for the non-commercial Class A and B come from specific sections of that.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
chris199

For non commercial I dont believe there is a written Q&A test. Just a driver's skill test is done from what I understand.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
chris199

I [quote name="jtyphoid" post=162812]Yep, ran into the same problem, but with an additional complication. I said that I needed to upgrade to a Class A exempt, so they had me take the written test and schedule the driving test. When I asked when I would receive a learners permit, they told me that since I had already taken the test I could not get a learners permit. <br />
<br />
So I couldn't legally pull my 5er even if I did have someone with a Class A to ride along. <br />
<br />
Lesson learned: in Texas, ask for a Class A learners permit first, then take the written test and schedule the driving test.[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
How was the written test, any particular thing you used to study that you would recommend? I plan on taking the trailer myself to take the test, did you have any issue with this? I know that technically this might not be correct but not too worried since I'm guessing 99% of the people pulling the larger 5th wheels don't have the correct license anyways.<br/>

I hear you. Do all toy hauler drivers get a Class A noncommercial driver's license? I suspect not.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Chris, Since you are planning on going for a test. I would check your truck registration. In PA a GCWR of 26,001-30,000 requires a Class 9 registration for your truck with an annual registration fee of $472.50.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 AM   #9
chris199

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Chris, Since you are planning on going for a test. I would check your truck registration. In PA a GCWR of 26,001-30,000 requires a Class 9 registration for your truck with an annual registration fee of $472.50.
In progress. I really don't understand why I need to do this but it is what it is. My truck config has a clearly published GCWR. PA DOT knows the GVWR of my truck from the VIN. Why should I have to register and pay to use the documented GCWR...esp noncommercial? Govt reach and taxes I guess. [emoji53]

Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 AM   #10
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
For non commercial I dont believe there is a written Q&A test. Just a driver's skill test is done from what I understand.
It varies from state to state. Texas has both written and driving tests.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:58 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Seems strange that they are going through all of that. Guess I'm glad I'm in NM, I just filled out a form for a non commercial class E, it's for RV towing with a GCWR over 26k.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

I am sure its only begun , Simple
Stay Tuned

Be Safe and Happy Camping, hopefully soon

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #13
Campy

Glad I'm in Ohio where all we need is an operators license. I even found out that I could purchase a class 8 semi truck and reclassify it as non-commercial and not have to get any other license. Now the one thing you can't get around is the fee's involved with having a truck that big, the license plate fee would have been around $550 per year.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
chris199

Doesnt sound right but told this by 2 different PA DMV reps...

I can revise my truck's GVWR from 11,000 lb to 10,000 lb

GVWR of new trailer is 16,000 lb.

I can register my truck at GCWR at 26,000 lb. This is 1 lb under the 26,0001 and higher threshold for a PA noncommercial Class A license. So I dont need to get the Class A license.

Strange....I say but the trailer transfers weight to the truck. Isnt the GVWR at 10,000 lb an issue?
Answer twice has been as long as I am within the GCWR on the registration when towing....I'm legal. GVWR on registration doesnt apply to towing.

Sound right to you?

W/out regard to regs I think my truck (GMC 3500 crew ling bed SRW Duramax) and the Montana (3791RD 2940 tongue) should be a good pair. Just want to be legal.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Like I said its only beginning, and by the way, YES, have heard that as well as others. As you may have read other member comments from other states, we in PA have an advantage ie, is smaller than say TEXAS therefore, less DMV staff, less opinions, etc. Its very difficult to get a consistent answer.

EDIT ; By the way not a simply task to get a GCWR registration

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #16
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
we in PA have an advantage ie, is smaller than say TEXAS therefore, less DMV staff, less opinions, etc. Its very difficult to get a consistent answer
Haha! I think that the only way to get a constant answer would be to get rid of all but one employee, and that might not even work.

Note that this is not meant to be a criticism of hard working civil servants. The regulations can be very complex, so there are bound to be different levels of understanding.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #17
hoffbrew

For California

2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #18
hoffbrew

This is a picture of the DMV Commercial Test Station/Highway Patrol Center across the street from my office. I have been over there to ask the questions and I get a different answer from the people I talk to each time!

2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote