Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
LZScout

Axle bearing life

Just heard from my dealer today. I had taken my 2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL in for some minor maintenance and I asked them to re-pack the bearings and check out the brakes. I bought the unit new in 2013 and have used it two seasons though we didn't go far the first year. Most of the total mileage (5065 miles) was put on this year. They tell me the bearings are shot and need replaced. Is this normal? Although I've never weighed it, I don't believe the unit is overweight. I did wait two seasons to have the bearings serviced.

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
pjhansman

Can't give you a mechanic's answer, but my '11 Laredo has almost 20k miles on it. Had the bearings and brakes checked at 18k and they were both good.

I expect I'll have the bearings changed out next year.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 AM   #3
Terrydactile

No that's not normal. Something would have to be wrong for the bearings to be shot this soon. Maybe they were not packed correctly to begin with. Our trailer is an 08 with 12K miles, bearings were inspected and packed last year.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It's possible the bearings were not serviced correctly before installation onto your frame. If that did happen, you're very lucky that you haven't had an axle failure that left you with significant damage.

It's possible that there was a damaged part (seal) during manufacture that allowed all the lube (grease) to be slung out of the bearing space or become contaminated with water, salt or sand. This could lead to failure.

It's possible (unlikely) that the bearings were bad on assembly. Seems strange that all four would be "bad" ???

It's possible the dealership "miscommunicated" the bearing status and what they really meant to say is, "We can change out your bearings rather than just service them".

Unless you're a very harsh user, it's unlikely that you've "worn out/damaged" 4 sets of bearings in 5,000 miles. Not impossible, but unlikely.

ADDED: The axles probably have a 2 year or 3 year warranty (depending on the manufacturer) and if all 4 were bad, you or the dealer may be able to file a warranty claim with the manufacturer even though you've never done any maintenance to the bearings. All 4 should not go bad at the same time in that short of a towing history.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:08 AM   #5
SkiSmuggs

About 14K on my 9500 lb fiver and no signs of trouble. I plan to grease them for the first time this weekend.
Could be they weren't adjusted correctly at the factory. Too loose would cause premature wear. And it could be your dealer was looking for work.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #6
RichR

You should ask for him to show you the bad bearings. I just can't imagine that all four sets are bad. Over the years I have had seven trailers and never had a single bearing go bad.
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree. Ask what the "failure" was. After the big Sears debacle years ago, I don't know if the RV industry is required to return failed parts like the auto repair industry.

I'm with John on this one, leaning towards factory failure and I would certainly check warranty.

When we sell a used unit, axle service is automatic, just did a '13 that had under 5,000 miles of use. Front axle had both grease seals installed incorrectly and grease was "everywhere".

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
Desert185

If bearings on a vehicle are serviced properly on schedule, they tend to be the most overserviced item on the vehicle. Bearings rarely go bad. If yours are bad, I wager they weren't serviced properly to begin with or you have towed your trailer repeatedly through a slit-ridden stream.

I would have a personal look at them. I just towed my 326 home a few weeks ago and plan to have a look at the bearings and repack them with my grease of choice along with installing a wetbolt kit and removing the china bomb tires. Being proactive in the maintenance end of "towing fun" pays dividends...especially when accomplished by yourself. Trust, but verify, as someone greater than me once said.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Campy

I would bet the bearings would last a long time if they are maintained properly. I have not checked mine on the new camper but I will soon as I want to make sure they are greased right. A lot of campers have the new style axles that have the rubber plug on the cap with a grease fitting on the end of the axle. Those are great for boat trailers but not so good for campers that are never submerged. I like to pack my bearings the good old fashion way, by hand. No chance of blowing out the seal that way....
Campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

Outside of poor instaltion issues bearings failing in 5k are not common! and all 8 bearings that would be some bad luck. If you can I would head over to the service center and see if your unit is sitting in the lot or on jacks.If it is sitting in the lot ask the service dept to pull one and show it to you! if in the shop ask to see them. I do not mean the next part as an insult. look the bearings over carefuly. are the rollers pitted or burnt? look at the races in the hubs,the part the rollers ride on are they smooth or pitted. if pitted they are bad smooth with some slight discoloration is ok. Might be the flat rate tech is looking to go out on the town! lets hope not. let us know what you find.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
gearhead

All the above is true. Not surprising there are some failures though, just based on the way some vendors treat bearings. Recently I was in a trailer supply company and saw new bearings stored in open bins; just thrown on top of each other. Probably 50 bearings per bin just dumped in.
I was trained to trash a bearing if the cardboard box or wrapper that the one bearing was stored in had been unsealed.
A properly installed quality bearing will run 24/7 for years and years. Part of my job was to track and analyze vibration data from hundreds of pieces of rotating equipment. All with bearings.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
RdRmr

Just because it's new from the factory doesn't mean it's going to be 100%. I would say there must have been an issue from the start. How many miles have you traveled in two seasons? My previous 5TH wheel I had for over thirteen years and the bearings were still good. There were over sixty five thousand miles on them. I serviced them once a year as per manufacturers recommendation, if not more due to my mileage. Never had an issue. Now, that being said, on the one I have now when I got it home the first thing I did was remove the hubs to see what was going on in there. Glad I did, three were leaking out the rear seal and the front axle passenger side had the brake shoes reversed. Yes, you can have issues from new. Ask to see the old bearings, they should not fail that soon. Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
LZScout

It appears that whatever the cause, it appears that either the Dexter warrantee or my Extraride warrantee will cover the repairs. I will get a look at the bearings when I pick up the unit.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
LZScout

Total of 5065 miles.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
RdRmr

Glad to hear it will be repaired under warranty. One other thing I do is keep a log book with destinations and accumulative miles, comes in handy determining when and what maintenance is due.

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #16
ReadyToRoll

Smile Bearings and brakes

This spring, as going to change all the tires from Marathon to ? and hope For G load, will inspect the brakes and bearings at the same time. I have adjusted many brake sets throughout the years but few with the electric brake set up these trailers have. What suggestions do any of you have. Normally, adj. to tight on drum and then back off to about 4 clicks. What are your suggestions. Rather be a few loose than running tight. No doubt will check the temps of all wheels anyway after a few miles after the adjustment. Thanks
ReadyToRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #17
DMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZScout View Post
Just heard from my dealer today. I had taken my 2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL in for some minor maintenance and I asked them to re-pack the bearings and check out the brakes. I bought the unit new in 2013 and have used it two seasons though we didn't go far the first year. Most of the total mileage (5065 miles) was put on this year. They tell me the bearings are shot and need replaced. Is this normal? Although I've never weighed it, I don't believe the unit is overweight. I did wait two seasons to have the bearings serviced.
Noticed your in Minnesota, just curious what dealer you take yours to? I have had a recent similar situation and with close to the same mileage. I wish I lived closer to my dealer and had the time, I would have driven over there and looked at them myself. But I was too quick to give the approval for the repair, not wanting any issues on the side of the road, but my gut was telling me B.S.! Wondering if we have stumbled on to a pattern here...I certainly hope not! I hope they still have the old parts when I pick it up!
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #18
lesgocampin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Noticed your in Minnesota, just curious what dealer you take yours to? I have had a recent similar situation and with close to the same mileage. I wish I lived closer to my dealer and had the time, I would have driven over there and looked at them myself. But I was too quick to give the approval for the repair, not wanting any issues on the side of the road, but my gut was telling me B.S.! Wondering if we have stumbled on to a pattern here...I certainly hope not! I hope they still have the old parts when I pick it up!
Even if they do show them to you there's no way to be sure that they are yours.
I know of a garage that would try upselling to customers and would show them bad or worn parts from someone elses vehicle.
lesgocampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #19
jsmith948

You know, it's all about trust. Over the years I have changed dealer/repair shops several times after learning that they "misrepresented" the facts.
I'm sure that most repair shops are honest, BUT?
I can't imagine 4 sets of bearings and races being 'bad' after less than 6000 miles. I would call them out on it....and then I would never darken their doorway again. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote