Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
vancouverjad

Angry Joists showing through the ceiling

Aluminum joists are showing through on the ceiling, anyone have any idea what is going on here?? It doesn't seem to be wet but showing signs of yellowing in spots!!!! HELP!!!
vancouverjad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Bluewater

Doesn't sound good but I'd get it to a dealer ASAP and get it checked out.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I'm not sure if you mean you can see the actual ceiling joists or a line of yellowish spots that run across the ceiling from side to side directly in line with what would be ceiling joists. If you are seeing yellowish discolouration those are the places where the luan ceiling has been stapled to the joists. I believe the joists are wood not aluminium.

What these yellow stains appear to be are the result of some kind of reaction that has taken place between the staple and the filler. It is most likely rust - we have a few of those spots appear in our Cougar 5th wheel and they do line up with the ceiling joists. Ours are fairly difficult to see but I gently cleaned the area with Mr. Eraser then applied some Kilz paint by using a Q-tip and it seemed to have hidden the stain quite nicely. You'd have to look really closely to see them now.

Other members have reported this so it is not a rare occurrence.

I don't think there is any need to panic as I am certain it is not a leak in your ceiling. If they are just spots/stains and follow a ceiling joist pattern, then I'm sure it is the same problem I had and have since remedied. No further staining has occurred in our ceiling.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
Vet4jdc

Our old Passport did the same thing. Fasteners must have rusted and then small yellowish orange spots showed up on the ceiling in lines where the joists were. I did the same thing....used a small sponge brush and kilz paint...no more stains!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:06 AM   #5
vancouverjad

joists showing through

it is more like shadowing and all are showing through but there is only two yellowing spots presently. This is 2012 High Country has aluminum joists I am sure. We are hoping it goes away as the summer comes and warmer weather moves in. If not, what would be the remedy???

Thanks!!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:29 AM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Can you get some pics of this?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Bob Landry

There is no reason for any type of fastener to rust or bleed discoloration unless it has come in contact with moisture from some source. Otherwise, all of the nails in our stick houses would be showing through. It would also take quite a while for that condition to develop. The only places on my ceilings that have ever yellowed was caused by roof leaks.

I would start looking for air conditioner ducts and discharge grills that were not properly taped at manufacture and are likely putting cold air into the roof area causing condensation. After that, water would travel along almost any surface through gravitational effect, stopping at the bottom which would be the roof material.

Also, if this were a common fastener problem, we would be seeing many more posts about it.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
vancouverjad

Question

Thanks for the response, it is appreciated. We are in an area where A/C is not often required. We do have a lot of rain and the heat is used from time to time, especially this past winter. Could it be that the Aluminum joists are sweating. I mean every joist in the ceiling is showing through or for lack of a better word "shadowing" through. In addition, we are living in it full time right now!!