Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Mosnowman

Most Quiet- Best Second Air Conditioner?

I have recently purchased a Cougar 327RES and have decided after reading a lot of threads that I will install a second non ducted pre wired 13.5 AC in the bedroom. Opinions on the best most quiet low profile? I will be buying at Camping World...Thanks!

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Wally15

I just installed a Dometic DUO THERM BRISK AIR CONDITIONER 13500 Model #457915 in the front bedroom. It's a lot noisier than I thought it would be. Of course, with the wx lately, even in S GA, haven't run it a lot. DW likes to go to sleep with the TV on low volume. Won't be able to hear w/out turning the volume way up now. I'm even reconsidering my plan to block the ceiling duct from the main 15K a/c in the MBR and only run the new a/c until bedtime and hopefully the main unit will keep the whole TT cool at night, even in FL. These a/c manufacturers need to get together with Fantastic Fan and learn how to move air quietly.
Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend the unit I bought if you want a low noise unit.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally15 View Post
I just installed a Dometic DUO THERM BRISK AIR CONDITIONER 13500 Model #457915 in the front bedroom. It's a lot noisier than I thought it would be. Of course, with the wx lately, even in S GA, haven't run it a lot. DW likes to go to sleep with the TV on low volume. Won't be able to hear w/out turning the volume way up now. I'm even reconsidering my plan to block the ceiling duct from the main 15K a/c in the MBR and only run the new a/c until bedtime and hopefully the main unit will keep the whole TT cool at night, even in FL. These a/c manufacturers need to get together with Fantastic Fan and learn how to move air quietly.

Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend the unit I bought if you want a low noise unit.

That's what I do. Run the bedroom til bedtime then main keeps us cool all night. Next morning fire up the bedroom AC
Randy

Randy Sent this!!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
unyalli

The dometics are unbelievably loud. The best 13.5 ac IMO is the Airxcel Coleman Mach III PS. Not the Plus, the PS.

Coleman Mach III PS

unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
wbdvt

You may want to look at Atwood Air Command a/c units. They are the only ones I could find that publish the dB noise rating for their units. Low speed they claim as low as 55 dB and high speed 65 dB
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
unyalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
You may want to look at Atwood Air Command a/c units. They are the only ones I could find that publish the dB noise rating for their units. Low speed they claim as low as 55 dB and high speed 65 dB
Interesting, had not heard of these. Replacing my Dometic 15k with their 13.5k would reduce my draw from 1650 watts to 1250 and provide the equivalent of 16k btu air conditioning quietly. Who's got one of these installed out there?

Jeff
Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
Hmmmmm, to make a comparison, on low it's 2dB louder than a Honda generator (53 dB) and on high it's 3dB quieter than a Champion generator (68 dB).... I know I know, but goodness, there's got to either be a difference in how the dB's are rated between generators and air conditioners or that A/C, supposedly a quiet one, is unheavenly loud !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
unyalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Honda generator (53 dB) and on high it's 3dB quieter than a Champion generator (68 dB)
You might want to check your specs there pard.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Champion generator model 46514 is a 4000/3500 watt generator and the specs are as listed below, it's rated at 68dB @23ft at full load.

Website is here: http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generators/46596/

I did check my specs, in fact, just before I posted. pard

I used the specs for the "too loud to use in a campground" champion generator that's generally used by many of us to dry camp. It's the one that seems to be found "objectionable" by many as being "too loud for campground use".... I find it interesting that the "inside noise with an air conditioner on high" is acceptable and a "generator outside for an hour" is unacceptable.... That's the reason for the comparison using "dis-similar" generators.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
unyalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Champion generator model 46514 is a 4000/3500 watt generator and the specs are as listed below, it's rated at 68dB @23ft at full load.

Website is here: http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generators/46596/

I did check my specs, in fact, just before I posted. pard
Your comparing a construction open frame non-inverter generator to an inverter generator???? LOL!

Watch out people.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Your comparing a construction open frame non-inverter generator to an inverter generator???? LOL!

Watch out people.
Watch out people? Really? What are you trying to say? Anyone who regularly reads comments on here knows the type generator I own and use. It's been a regular topic of discussion for the past several years. In fact, there are a number of recent threads with comments regarding the specific generators that I compared.

While the context of this thread concerns air conditioners, there is no "scientific comparison" nor would I believe, a note to alert readers to that concept would be required. The comparison was to loudness of the air conditioner to two types of generators. One a "quiet Honda" and the other a "loud Champion". If I were comparing generators to each other, then a "scientific comparison" of similar generators may have been appropriate. but in this context, I don't believe it's necessary and I don't think there's any reason to call in Paul Revere to "warn the people" of anything "shady"...

If you feel differently, please PM me and we can discuss your concerns.

Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
unyalli

I've re-read and stand corrected.

Cheers!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
K&C L

Sorry, can't tell you what that might be but I can say it's not the Dometic Penguin II!

2003 F350, Laredo LE, 7.3 psd, dually and 4x4

2012 Keystone Montana HC 343RL

"Beauty and the Bess"
K&C L is offline   Reply With Quote