Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Bob Landry

OK, I'm confused. The OP said he had a 50-30-30 cheater box but the 20A breaker at the pedestal was tripping. My interpretation of that box would be that you plug it into 50A service and it splits each leg to provide two 30A services to the trailer. If that's not the case, then it's not a 50-30-30. Also, why would he be trying to plug a 20A cord in a 30A service? You would not be able to plug the 30A cord into the 20A outlet without an additional adapter. I think I have read of splitters that combine a 20A & 30A service to provide one 50A, but that would only be one 50A leg, not two like you would get with regular 50A service. I personally would not ever depend on one of those to work. The two outlets may not be in perfect phase, you could get a voltage drop from the difference. If they work, great, I just don't see how they do it.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
WaltBennett

I've seen those boxes and really don't think I'd want to try one, because as said earlier, you just don't know how the pedestals are wired. A little power management can go a long way.

Unless you've got a second AC, you really don't need 50 amp service if you're just a little careful with power use (coffee pot, water heater, ac, electric fireplace, both TVs and whatever else all on at the same time!). We've only one AC but are wired for a second and 50 amp service. Don't have to think about anything if we've 50 amps, but we've camped for multiple days at different CGs using only 30 amps and everything's worked fine. I hook up to a 15 amp circuit at home via a 10 gauge extension cord and can run the AC by itself in the summer.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
OK, I'm confused. The OP said he had a 50-30-30 cheater box but the 20A breaker at the pedestal was tripping. My interpretation of that box would be that you plug it into 50A service and it splits each leg to provide two 30A services to the trailer. If that's not the case, then it's not a 50-30-30. Also, why would he be trying to plug a 20A cord in a 30A service? You would not be able to plug the 30A cord into the 20A outlet without an additional adapter. I think I have read of splitters that combine a 20A & 30A service to provide one 50A, but that would only be one 50A leg, not two like you would get with regular 50A service. I personally would not ever depend on one of those to work. The two outlets may not be in perfect phase, you could get a voltage drop from the difference. If they work, great, I just don't see how they do it.
I believe that is what he is referring to.

However your understanding that they provide one leg is incorrect. The concept behind these boxes is that the combine the hots with a shared neutral. Making a 125/250 circuit.

Presumably two 30s.... Or a 30/20. It's up to the end use to ensure these hots are on opposite legs; and not to overload the neutral.

These boxes are not for those who don't understand electricity.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
Bob Landry

I guess I don't understand why he is going to all of that trouble to get 30A into his trailer. A 30-50 adapter would plug into the 30A service at the park and feed it to both of his 50A inputs at the connector. He would only have 30 going into the trailer but it would go to both of his service legs and he could do a little energy management and decide what he wanted to run. Marinco makes the adapters and they aren't that much.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 02-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
I guess I don't understand why he is going to all of that trouble to get 30A into his trailer. A 30-50 adapter would plug into the 30A service at the park and feed it to both of his 50A inputs at the connector. He would only have 30 going into the trailer but it would go to both of his service legs and he could do a little energy management and decide what he wanted to run. Marinco makes the adapters and they aren't that much.
If he was at a campsite which had two 30s, he would get 60 amps into his trailer using that cheater box.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
Bob Landry

OK.. Can't say I've ever seen a CG with 2 30A outlasts a the pedestal..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
We have several here. Could also use at home.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #18
Htfiremedic

Quote:

Many of our SC parks, Corps parks and locals have two 30's. I made a cheater box and use it at the Ga. State Parks and a couple in NC. Most of our parks have chosen to wait until they "have" to upgrade to a 50 amp, because of cost.
There are several designs on the interweb that show the "proper way". It is really a simple process.

Steve Hudson
Sent from my iPhone
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
Htfiremedic

Here are pics of the one I made.

Steve Hudson
Sent from my iPhone
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #20
BigBearWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htfiremedic View Post
Here are pics of the one I made.

Steve Hudson
Sent from my iPhone
No disrespect but as a camp ground owner this scares me to death I hope you keep a fire extinguisher near at all times. What size wire are those gray pig tails? You have 2 adapters that go from 30 amp to 15 amp then you plug them into something that you are going to try and suck 50 amps from good luck.

BigBearWV is offline   Reply With Quote