Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
brucem26

Sofa bed in Montana HC 318RE

Just purchased a 2014 Montana HC 318RE, Love it but a question on the bed sofa.
One morning we found that the legs of the sofa had been sitting on the two floor registers and punched right through the vanes in the register. Looking closer thinking that Keystone could not possibly have made such an error, discovered that the two small 'L' brackets securing the sofa bed in place to the floor had come loose... (seriously Keystone? 2 small L brackets to hold down an entire sofabed?) I digress...

Anyways replaced them with some heavy angle brackets and sofa bed stays put. My question though is that when my son tries to sit up and read in bed with his butt close to the back cushions, the outer end of the bed won't stay on the floor and he sinks down (as if the bed is trying to put itself away) :-)

Any ideas? is this the way these things are constructed or have I buggered something? Many thanks.

2104 Montana High Country 318RE
2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
brucem26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
brucem26

Seriously nobody has any issues with the sofa bed in the Montana High Country? Do I have a defective unit?

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
Old 08-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
LZScout

We have the sofa airbed in our Alpine 3250RL. Used it last weekend for the first time. It came apart on the frame at some sort of disconnect from the arm that folds out from the sofa to where it connects to the square tube mattress frame. All that holds it in the sheath is a little metal tab that broke off. I thought I should just fix it by drilling and installing a bolt. Talked to the dealer to see if I'd void the warrantee by doing so. Waiting to hear on that issue.

I don't think anyone sat on the bed in the manner you described. Can't picture why yours would do that, given what I see in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
NeilM

Haven't had that specific problem with our 2014 318RE but found the sofa bed to be pretty unconfortable to sleep on. The hardware for the bed is felt through the thin cheap matress. We bought a double size air matress to throw on top of the included matress to save any guest's backs. I will be looking at the brackets on my sofa tomorrow to see what I have and if they present any potential problems.
NeilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
LZScout

Our fold out had the blow up air bed. I'm told it was very comfortable.

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
brucem26

We added a 2" thick memory foam to it. The bed is unusable from a comfort perspective with the crappy thin mattress supplied.

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
NeilM

Our new 318RE has an actual hide-a-bed in it like you would have in your S&B. Like the leatherette couch but miss the airbed in our 07 Montana 2955RL. The bed is more like a double size and the matress is thin, thin, thin.
NeilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Jim7411

Airbed Sofa

From my experience, Keystone's furnishings are crap. I guess that helps keep the cost down. What I've done is order new chairs and a new airbed sofa. One of our swivel rockers came apart, literally, during our trip to Alaska. The other chair's fabric is starting to come off in places, and losing the bolts that hold it together. If you can afford it, just replace the damn thing.
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
n4qpcham

Our 318RE has the hid-a-bed leather sofa. I haven't had the vent damage problem, but I did notice the attitude of the bed when extended...the head is higher than the foot. This is cause by the couch being a little higher due to sitting on the slideout. I cut a couple of squares from a 2x4 and drilled a small counter-sink hole the size of the pad on the bottom of the bed support leg in the center of the square. Leveled it out a little more, but doctors say you are better off with your head higher than your feet when sleeping anyway.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LS, 6.0L,
2014 Montana High Country 318RE with Ground Control Electric Auto Leveling System
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Westie0506

Sofa bed

We have the 2011 3500RE and the fabric on the sofa shredded - they replaced the seats but would not replace the back and of course it shredded just like the seat cushions. The sofa just imploded, front drawer fell off, and we took it out and replaced it with a reclining loveseat. RV sofas are just plain uncomfortable and cheap...as is most of the furniture in them.
Westie0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Koladog

leaky air mattress

Our brand new mountaineer came with a 'brand new' air mattress which had a slow leak. Returned it to the dealer to exchange for a new one. It took 6 weeks to get it back. Good thing I'm all packed up for the winter now.
Koladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
Dglsrichmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucem26 View Post
Seriously nobody has any issues with the sofa bed in the Montana High Country? Do I have a defective unit?
The bed sucks, my wife and i pulled ours out and took a while to figure how to put the cushions, I set up against the back of the couch and it actually tried to fold up with us in it. It is a bad design and the bed portion needs to be lower inside the couch
Dglsrichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dglsrichmond View Post
The bed sucks, my wife and i pulled ours out and took a while to figure how to put the cushions, I set up against the back of the couch and it actually tried to fold up with us in it. It is a bad design and the bed portion needs to be lower inside the couch
The post you're responding to is from 2013 and brucem26, the poster was last online in the forum on Aug 14, 2014. It's likely he won't sign on to view your response.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:32 AM   #14
WaltBennett

Ours wasn't fastened down at all. Since the air mattress was missing when we bought it and no one could figure out how to open it up, we've never used it. I took it apart to remove it for a 9 week trip and then put it back and still don't know how to open it into a bed. Works well as a couch, so that's all we use it for.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote