Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
neesey62

Getting Rid of our Chinabomb tires!

After inspecting the tires on our 2011 Cougar, my husband found that all 4 were in desperate need of replacing. We had already had a blowout on one and sustained minor damage so we started researching for replacements. We decided to bump it up and get an LT tire. We had 235/80/R16s Power King Towmaxs. Went with a Toyo Open Country HT 245/75/R16. Height is the same and just slightly wider and doesnt affect clearance on the fender wells.

All of the PowerKing Towmaxs either had tread separation or dry rot. I'm thankful I listened to my little vioces and insisted that we replace all 4 tires. We are also replacing the spare with a Toyo.
neesey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
fla-gypsy

You are fortunate in the fact you had 16" wheels. In the 15" wheels no LT tire exists. In the ST tire lines Maxxis M8008 225/75R15E is about the best you can do.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Javi

Be glad you don't have 14" rims there are almost no tires available with any kind of load capacity.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
neesey62

Yeah during our research, we found this out. I just don't understand why a better American made tire can't be produced in the 14" or 15".

However, thanks to everyone for your invaluable input. I'm so happy I found this forum.

Happy Camping!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
You are fortunate in the fact you had 16" wheels. In the 15" wheels no LT tire exists. In the ST tire lines Maxxis M8008 225/75R15E is about the best you can do.
I had those put on my trailer yesterday, but I went with the Load Range E. I did find a very few LT tires in 15", but they were just as questionable as the China tires.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neesey62 View Post
After inspecting the tires on our 2011 Cougar, my husband found that all 4 were in desperate need of replacing. We had already had a blowout on one and sustained minor damage so we started researching for replacements. We decided to bump it up and get an LT tire. We had 235/80/R16s Power King Towmaxs. Went with a Toyo Open Country HT 245/75/R16. Height is the same and just slightly wider and doesnt affect clearance on the fender wells.

All of the PowerKing Towmaxs either had tread separation or dry rot. I'm thankful I listened to my little vioces and insisted that we replace all 4 tires. We are also replacing the spare with a Toyo.
“Replacement tires for any vehicle must be of a size, load range, and
load capacity (by inflation) that is capable of supporting the same
load as the vehicle’s originally installed (OE) tires. Avoid installing
used tires on a vehicle. There is no way to determine what road
hazards or abuse a previously owned tire may have incurred.”

That statement is on page 14 of the Toyo warranty in the reference below.

Retailers that don’t handle trailer tires on a regular basis are not schooled in the vast load capacity differences between the ST and LT tires.

In the reference, open the warranty for “replacement passenger and light truck tires.”

http://toyotires.com/customer-care/warranty-information

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I had those put on my trailer yesterday, but I went with the Load Range E. I did find a very few LT tires in 15", but they were just as questionable as the China tires.
I had the Maxxis E range installed this morning also.$$$
Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
I had the Maxxis E range installed this morning also.$$$
I didn't think the price was that bad. Mine were $668 installed. After I got the trailer back to storage I noticed that there were no wheel weights on the outside or inside of any of the them. They didn't balance them when they were installed. I called my guy at Discount Tire and he said his installer screwed up and to bring it back in and he would do that and was going to refund the installation charge since I have to tow it back to them. I had also told them I wanted 80lbs of air in them and lugs torqued to 120 lbs. I'm going to check that today when I go out to do an electrical project. I'm suspecting that wasn't done either, but we'll see.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I didn't think the price was that bad. Mine were $668 installed. After I got the trailer back to storage I noticed that there were no wheel weights on the outside or inside of any of the them. They didn't balance them when they were installed. I called my guy at Discount Tire and he said his installer screwed up and to bring it back in and he would do that and was going to refund the installation charge since I have to tow it back to them. I had also told them I wanted 80lbs of air in them and lugs torqued to 120 lbs. I'm going to check that today when I go out to do an electrical project. I'm suspecting that wasn't done either, but we'll see.
$680 mounted and balanced, very similar pricing
Old 06-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #10
neesey62

It certainly wouldn't hurt to double check. It will certainly give you peace of mind.

4 Toyos mounted and balanced was $777.00 here where I live.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #11
bg71361

I opted to replace my 15" rims with 16's, put the Michelin XPS RIB on them about $300 a piece, plus rim cost of about $140, well worth it, to me.
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg71361 View Post
I opted to replace my 15" rims with 16's, put the Michelin XPS RIB on them about $300 a piece, plus rim cost of about $140, well worth it, to me.
I also had the option of replacing the rims and going to 16", but the rims on my trailer look really nice and to get something equivalent would have easily been another $400. If these Load Range E tires don't do well, I may look at that next time around.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
Exsailor

Interesting the title of this post is "Chinabombs" and then most of the remaining conversations are about TOYO tires and Maxxis, both are imported. there have been so many tire threads, and the only thing constant is opinions, everybody's got one. Sad part is most of these trailer tires come from the same place (maybe the same factory). It is a gigantic safety issue that goes unnoticed. I can remember Firestone pulling an entire line of tires back because of a few blowouts on Ford SUVs, yet trailer tires fail much more and nothing.
where is Morley Safer when you need him? In case your too young to get it he was on 60 minutes...

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsailor View Post
Interesting the title of this post is "Chinabombs" and then most of the remaining conversations are about TOYO tires and Maxxis, both are imported.
'Imported' all by itself means nothing with respect to tire quality, nor are all imported tires made in the same place or to the same standards. But you're right about opinions being of little value, all that really matters is in-service performance and there are near zero reports of Maxxis E-range tire failures. Everything else is... opinion.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
neesey62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsailor View Post
Interesting the title of this post is "Chinabombs" and then most of the remaining conversations are about TOYO tires and Maxxis, both are imported. there have been so many tire threads, and the only thing constant is opinions, everybody's got one. Sad part is most of these trailer tires come from the same place (maybe the same factory). It is a gigantic safety issue that goes unnoticed. I can remember Firestone pulling an entire line of tires back because of a few blowouts on Ford SUVs, yet trailer tires fail much more and nothing.
where is Morley Safer when you need him? In case your too young to get it he was on 60 minutes...
That is why we decided to go with a light truck tire not a trailer tire. We were fortunate to already have 16" rims so the options were a little more diverse for us. Toyos are imported, you are correct. As I'm sure you know they are a Japanese tire and are highly regulated. There is nothing to say I won't have a blowout a mile down the road but I sure hope not! We are also getting a TPMS to HOPEFULLY avoid more damage from a blowout. Something's Wrong when ALL 4 Powerking TowMax 2011 tires showed either tread separation or bubbles. They just had to go.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
neesey62

I wish I was too young to remember 60 Minutes! LOL!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Jim Dow

Tire Change - For Real and For True

After reading about all the China Bomb issues, I replaced all 5 of my trailer tires with ST Marathons before I ever took the 5er on the road. That made me and my wife feel a lot better, at least. Too bad I didn't know about this issue while I was negotiating for the 5er - if it would have made any difference anyway.

No trouble yet.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
neesey62

Glad the post helped and here's hoping you have miles of fun, safe travels.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #19
randy69

Quote:
My opinion a very good choice. Already 16" Rims just bought the tires, with steel valve stems and spun balance.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #20
raineman

Quote:
Those are available cheaper from Discount Tires and Tire Rack these days
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote