Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #1
Alpine Bill

black tank 55 gal 3555RL 5th wheel

Believe I blew my black tank. There is no leaking but getting a smell now when dumping. Question is, how do you go about removing the tank? Guessing remove bottom covering of 5th wheel first, or is it accessible from top after removing a panel from inside my big storage area? Just wondering if the vertical wall panel that seperates the storage area would give me access to the top of the tank?
Alpine Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

All the tanks come out the bottom. You might be able to get to the top of the tank to see how the lines are connected. If the toilet pipe is a slip fitting then you just remove the toilet, and the floor flange to lift it out. The same goes for the vent line, but if they are glued then you have to cut them. The tank itself will be supported by cross members and one is probably welded in and the other is screwed into the frame on both ends.

NOT a fun job by any means but doable. take appropriate safety cautions- gloves, glasses and mask.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
kksfish

Are you sure that there's something wrong with the tank? If it's just an odor when you dump it then a lot of use have tank problems! Could it just be a vent problem?
Old 09-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
notanlines

I also wondered first thing if you have tank problems. Maybe tell us a little more how you came up with this conclusion.
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Alpine Bill

While hooking up my trailer, I accidently turned the flush water on instead of the city tap water and the drain valve was closed on the black tank.. A friend stopped to talk and there was a bang and water gushed out from the bottom "covered" portion of the trailer. I don't understand WHY the water didn't vent up the vent pipe except the water pressure is quite high.
Alpine Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
mazboy

black water tank, leaking? get a rv center to check it out and if necessary, replace it....about $1000. a lot easier than you doing it.
you can take the bottom cover off and fill up the black water tank to see if it is leaking too. thats how you find out if it is cracked.
good luck
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tank