Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Jdg1172

Rear platform

On my new cougar 336 BHS it has a 2' x 8' platform on the back that they call a bike rack. What do you guys carry on yours? I haven't figured out a way to mount bikes on it safely yet.
Jdg1172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
66joej

It does say 200# max. Don't know if I would go to that extent. There are threads on this site dealing with that infamous rear slide out.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
MarkS

Infamous is code for POS. To be fair, I think the newer trailers have a improved version of the bike slide. Things to watch out for. The spare tire tends to bounce which puts a strain on the bumper. On my trailer, the bouncing caused metal fatigue and has broken the bumper. I have moved the spare to a under trailer spare carrier. Keep an eye on the L bracket that the locking pin fits through. On newer trailers, this bracket has been strengthened. It may be an I beam now. On my trailer this bracket has bent.

So, I don't use the slide for anything but to hold a sewer hose. My plan is to replace the square tube bumper and strengthen the L Bracket.

How to mount bicycles is another story.

Sorry to be a downer. I thought the slide was a good idea when I bought the trailer. Otherwise I really like my trailer.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
ChampaZ

Question Rear Platform from factory 1 1/4 hitchreceiver

I have 2017 Alpine 5er 3651. It came with factory 1/4"receiver hitch setup. The hitch does bolt to welded brackets on the frame form Lippert it appears. The sticker states 150#'s capacity.
My question to anyone would a small platform( 20"x 48"" hitch from Curt carry a small 100# generator/Inverter OK. Just looking for others with experience in this. Debating to have a 2" hitch receiver welded or replaced for the factory one.
My other reason for this is to get some weight from the truck to the rear of the trailer. I am setting at about 22.2 % pin weight ratio as it stands today.
This would get me 200 lbs of my truck rear axle and put my pin weight to trailer ration at 21.8%. This will put me just under the 11,500 GVWR of the vehicle. I am over by 200#'s as it stands today. I have been to the scales and checked and rechecked my weights both combined and separately to check this.

2017 Chevy 3500HD CC 4X4 Duramax LTZ
2017 Alpine 3651 RL 5th Wheel
ChampaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
cant_remember_ID

Bike Loading on rear platform

I can get three bikes on the platform pretty easily. I remove the front tires, and then alternate them leaning against the pole that comes up. I have a heavy old blanket that I put between the bikes to keep them from rubbing and then strap them down with some ratchet straps. I moved my spare tire to an undercarriage carrier last year and this helps with getting the bikes loaded/unloaded (and makes the power much easier to get to).

However, I don't like this method because it is time consuming to load/unload the bikes and I'm not confident my bikes will not end up dropped on the freeway somewhere. Last weekend I bought a new Thule bike rack on sale. I will be putting on a 2" receiver hitch mounted to the frame and removing the slide.

If anybody has any experience or tips on mounting a Curt trailer hitch to their Keystone, I would love to hear any wisdom from your experience.
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
mtlineman2010

I built my own 2 inch receiver on a rainy day at work. Don't mind the upside down ball, it is now flipped! All metal was at least 3/8 inch along with heavy duty bolts and nylocks. I've used it to pull our 4 wheelers to the mountains and most recently, just returned today from Ft Peck with a Champion 3100 Inverter pinned to it. Seems to work great so far and didn't cost a thing!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
AirLift LoadLifter 5000s & WirelessOne Compressor
mtlineman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
MarkS

The metal of my bumper is about 14 guage. There are posts here telling of bumpers twisting when used to carry bikes. The weight of the spare tire broke the welds that attach the bumper to the trailer frame on mine. I hope you have better luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
CaptnJohn

The tray pullout type on my Cougar was never used. Figured going in for fuel it stood a good chance of dragging. The one on the Montana may get some use with a cooler and compressor.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote