Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 PM   #21
Lic0rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post

Where do you think all that rubber comes from that liters our interstate highway system all across the country?
Apparently from travel trailers!
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
"Big rig" tires are governed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Automotive and RV trailer tires are governed by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Trucker loads are constantly scrutinized by the industry for proper load capacity and balanced loads across all axles at all weight stations.

Comparisons between the two completely different regulating authorities is just not a viable measuring tool.

Where do you think all that rubber comes from that liters our interstate highway system all across the country?
Well you missed the point of my post entirely!!!

My point being the carcass of any tire on a big rig is built the same and has the same rating.

ST tires don't meet the same standards as LT tires, there is less proof that they can carry the weight listed on the sidewall.
As for road gators, likely as many caused by failed ST tires, as big rig tires, and the big rig tire has likely been capped two to four times and nearing 500,000 miles.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #23
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well you missed the point of my post entirely!!!

My point being the carcass of any tire on a big rig is built the same and has the same rating.

What kind of rating are you referring to. Every tire has its basic building materials right on its sidewall. Size of the materials and their density is confidential information available upon demand from such agencies as NHTSA.

ST tires don't meet the same standards as LT tires, there is less proof that they can carry the weight listed on the sidewall.

What proof is missing? Every tire manufacturer of highway tires must test and certify their own tires before they can put the DOT seal on them. Their paperwork is then forwarded to NHTSA for approval. NHTSA can then spot check the tire manufacturers products or sign them as acceptable.

Tire manufacturers build tires to a set of specifications that will satisfy the conditions the tire is expected to encounter. Some are directional or for steer & drive axles. Others are coined all position which includes trailers. When the tire is special, such as trailer tires, other requirements are not built-in. You get what is deemed necessary and approved by the DOT.

On the other hand, the vehicle manufacture gets to chose what tire is appropriate for a vehicle at hand or all in a series. That can be Passenger tires, Light Truck tires, Special trailer tires or other heavier tires used for motorized RVs and low platform trailers.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27063
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #24
Desert185

Quote:
Tire manufacturers build tires to a set of specifications that will satisfy the conditions the tire is expected to encounter. Some are directional or for steer & drive axles. Others are coined all position which includes trailers. When the tire is special, such as trailer tires, other requirements are not built-in. You get what is deemed necessary and approved by the DOT.

On the other hand, the vehicle manufacture gets to chose what tire is appropriate for a vehicle at hand or all in a series. That can be Passenger tires, Light Truck tires, Special trailer tires or other heavier tires used for motorized RVs and low platform trailers.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27063
"You get what is deemed necessary and approved by the DOT."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Reminds me of the FAA (and other guvmint agencies) and some of their decisions and mandates.

One more for the road...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #25
Firemenfred

After lots of research, i will be putting the Sailun 235 85 16r LR"G" could not find much negative about them and price is with in my budget. good luck
Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #26
Ken / Claudia

Having been forced to attend DOT truck inspection training several times during my career. I will say I wanted to sleep thru the comm. vehicle tire stuff. But, without going thru all that, those tires are different from ST.LT or as far as I know any other tire used. Recaps are never allowed to be used on steering axles. ODOT did a study over a summer back in around 2003. The study was when removing road gators (tire trends) determine if it was a recap or not. As I recall it was about 50, maybe 60% were not recapped tires that failed on the comm. trucks. And just like a rv tire system, when a tire blows on a loaded comm. vehicle more tires will blow unless they stop. For same reason the remaining tires are overloaded.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote