Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
K'sKamper

Axle Weight on 2013 Cougar 333MKS?

Does anyone know what weight axle is supposed to be on the 2013 Cougar 333MKS? I called Keystone but they said they cannot give me that information.
K'sKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
concours

Our 331MKS has 5200lb axles check the decal on the axle tube amongst all the decal info you should see a large 52 also the weight info sticker will or should have the same info
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You aren't clear in your question if you're wanting to know the actual weight that is ON the axles or the weight rating OF the axles. They are two entirely separate weights. I'll try to explain both:

According to the Keystone website, there are two models of the 2013 Cougar 333MKS. There is a "eastern edition" and a "western edition". Since you're in Ohio, I'd guess you are looking for information on the 333MKS not the 333MKSWE.

The specifications as listed on the website are:
Model: 333MKS
Shipping weight: 10222
Carrying capacity: 1833
Pin weight: 1655
Length: 36' 8"
Height: 12' 0"
Fresh water: 60
Waste water: 38
Gray water: 76
Propane: 60
Tire size: ST235/80R16E

So, to determine the weight that is "on the axles" you'd take the shipping weight, subtract the pin weight and what's left would be the "weight on the axles" of the "empty" trailer. "Empty" is defined as the weight of the standard build of that model including empty propane tanks, no battery and all fluid tanks dry.

So, the answer to the question: "How much weight is on the axles?" would be 10222 - 1655 = 8576 (for the standard build).

The "standard build" eastern edition 2013 333MKS axle weight (as it leaves the factory with no options) is 8576. The inclusion of any options, extra A/C, table/chairs vs dining booth, High Country package vs standard package, upgraded carpet, etc would change the weight of the trailer. Very few trailers leave the factory as "standard build". To find the weights of the specific trailer you're looking at, you'd need to check that trailer since all of them "could be" weigh differently, depending on options included. So Keystone is correct in stating that they can't tell you the weight that is on the axles for a specific trailer. Although "somewhere at Keystone" that information is available by VIN. I'm sure that customer service doesn't have access to that information in their office while they are on the phone with a customer.

However, the axle rating is listed on the yellow sticker on the road side forward section of the trailer. That sticker will also have the actual weight of the trailer, the weight of the fluid tanks and the pressure recommendations for the tires. But it will not have the weight that is actually "on" the axles, nor will it have the pin weight. The only way to obtain that information is to tow the trailer to a certified scale and weight it.

Generally speaking, with the tires that are on the trailer (per specs) and the GVW of 12055, I'd guess the axles are rated at 5500 or 6000 pounds each, but they could be rated differently. The only way to know the axle rating (assigned by Keystone) is to look at the yellow sticker on the trailer (but that sticker will not tell you the actual weight that is on the axles).

Now, to complicate things even more, to find the axle rating assigned by the axle manufacturer (which could be significantly different than the rating assigned by Keystone), go under the trailer, look at the tag on the axle center beam. It will list the model number and part number of the axle. Then you can either look up that part number or call the axle manufacturer to get the axle rating. Remember that Keystone uses axles from AlKo, Dexter and Lippert, so you'd need the manufacturer from the axle sticker to find that information.

Your best bet, as I stated "buried in the text above" is to drag the trailer to a scale and get the "real numbers" as it sits. Remember that any cargo/fluids/equipment you add will change those numbers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote