Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
Bartman12

Should I full time in a 2015 Montana High Country 340BH?

Howdy All,

My first post here. While we were in the process of downsizing, after our 2 oldest moved out, we spent a couple of months in our 2011 Cougar 322QBS 5th wheel and we liked it so much we are still doing it 2 1/2 years later. We have decided that we will continue this for at least the next 5 years but we would like a bit more living and counter space than we have. We have an 8 yr old daughter so a 2 bedroom, like our current unit, is still desirable. We have had several local dealers looking for units and one of them has shown us a 2015 Montana High Country 340BH, which we quite like. I feel confident that the regular Montana brand units would be fine for full timing but we cannot find much info that would give us an idea if the the High Country models have the quality to suit our purpose. To be fair, our Cougar has been fine so far. We live in the Pacific Northwest so winters aren't a big deal. The unit we saw had 4 point level up stabilizers and most other options available. Does anyone here have experience with the High Country models or can comment on their quality considering we could be using it for the next 5 - 15 years?

Thank you,
Bartman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:35 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on which chart in the Keystone RV website you choose, the Montana High Country is either a "luxury" or a "premium" RV. The Montana is only listed in the "luxury" category.

The High Country uses a different "build design" than the Montana. If you take trailers of similar floorplan and length, the High Country will be up to 50 pounds per foot lighter. That weight reduction comes from using Styrofoam laminated floors and lighter building materials. Which is more "durable" ? It really depends on how you plan to use the RV and how "rough" you are on it. If I were considering full timing with a family for 5 to 15 years, I'd opt for the heaviest construction I could afford. Of course that's an opinion, not a requirement LOL

Of most importance to you, I would think, is the availability of a bunkhouse model in the High Country line. The Montana doesn't have any bunkhouse models. It is, more or less, designed for a couple and maximizes the floorspace along the lines of what two people would find most accommodating.

You might want to also consider the Alpine and the Mountaineer brands. They also are Keystone products, do offer a wide variety of floorplans that would give you the added bedroom/bunkhouse and still be in the "not lightweight" category, meaning solid floors, heavier construction and yet similar "durability" to the Montana line.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
WaltBennett

You really need to join the Montana Owners Club (MOC: http://montanaowners.com/) and look in the forum, and ask that question there. There are many who full time in them and can tell you about their experiences.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote