Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2023, 04:22 PM   #1
Buffettfan

Wheel Bearing Maintenance

We just finished the third season with our 2020 PR24RK.
We bought it pre-owned.
Notice I didn't say used, I really don't think the original owner ever used it. The mattress was still wrapped in plastic, the appliances didn't look to have been used, the China bombs still had the nipples on them.

Anyway, 3 seasons and 12000+ miles later, I'm wondering about bearing service.
It had bearing buddy's and has been given a couple shots of grease every spring, and I look for any signs of seal failure.

How often should they be cleaned, repacked and have new seals?

In automotive service, it was like 30K to 50K, but the trailer is a bit heavier.

BTW, the China bombs are long gone.
Good Years on it now.

TIA!
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 05:12 PM   #2
Max23

Your PAST time for a full re-pack. Don't use bearing buddies! Those need a repack. Shouldn't probably be going over 10k without a repack. If I were putting on 4k a year which it sounds bout what your doing, I'd repack at least every other season. But, thats just me. I'm sure you'll get other advice. LOL
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 05:56 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Those are not Bearing Buddies, you have EZ Lube axles.

EZ Lube and Buddy bearings are completely different things. EZ Lube has a grease fitting on the end of the axle stub. When you put grease into that, it flows through the axle stub, and pushes the old grease from the back of the axle to the front, out of the hole in the bearing cap.

Bearing buddies push grease from the front of the hub to the back, and the only experience I've had with them is blowing out the rear seal.

For what it’s worth, you will very likely blow out the seals with an EZ Lube as well. The only safe way to service your bearings is to jack up the wheel, remove the drum, remove, clean and hand pack the bearings, reinstall with new double-lip grease seal and adjust. Then repeat on each wheel. I do this once per year, and check bearing adjustment/play.

We typically run 10-12,000 miles per year and after 5 seasons and 55-60,000 miles we are on our second set of tires and still run the original bearings (although I do keep a complete set of 4 pre-packed bearings, seals and a small tub of Red and Tacky in the camper toolbox “just in case”)
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 06:59 PM   #4
TXiceman

Your E-Z Lube axles can ruin the brakes by improper greasing procedures. The axle manufacturer has very specific instructions for properly greasing the bearings. You might have blown the grease seals and grease on the brakes.

After 3 seasons you are overdue for a full brake inspection, hand repack the bearings and new grease seals.

Ken
Old 10-20-2023, 07:02 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffettfan View Post
We just finished the third season with our 2020 PR24RK.
We bought it pre-owned.
Notice I didn't say used, I really don't think the original owner ever used it. The mattress was still wrapped in plastic, the appliances didn't look to have been used, the China bombs still had the nipples on them.

Anyway, 3 seasons and 12000+ miles later, I'm wondering about bearing service.
It had bearing buddy's and has been given a couple shots of grease every spring, and I look for any signs of seal failure.

How often should they be cleaned, repacked and have new seals?

In automotive service, it was like 30K to 50K, but the trailer is a bit heavier.

BTW, the China bombs are long gone.
Good Years on it now.

TIA!
I'd strongly recommend NEVER pump grease into the EZ Liube system! I know myself & a couple of close friends that used as per instructions & found grease in the brake drums, mine had all 4 full of grease.
The best way, correct way, to do this is to remove the drums to hand pack the bearings, inspect all brake components & inspect & lube the suspension at a chosen, by you, interval, either mileage or months.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 10:05 PM   #6
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Guess who.

FYI and "straight from the horses mouth".

http://www.dexteraxle.com/Resources/...brication-type

FYI #2; Grease guns exert hundreds of pounds of pressure be they pneumatic, electric, or hand operated. Pumping too much grease at one time will certainly blow out seals be it a ball joint or bearings.

DO NOT OVER GREASE!!!

Just my two cents.
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 04:16 AM   #7
JBM3M

Repacked mine this year the proper way, by hand. I had used the "bearing buddies" and found the rear bearing did not get grease. The risk of blowing the seal is real, and ruins the brake shoes when you do and you have to buy the whole backing plate for each axle, they don't sell just shoes.

I would repack by hand once every 20K miles.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 07:42 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
Repacked mine this year the proper way, by hand. I had used the "bearing buddies" and found the rear bearing did not get grease. The risk of blowing the seal is real, and ruins the brake shoes when you do and you have to buy the whole backing plate for each axle, they don't sell just shoes.

I would repack by hand once every 20K miles.
Your observation about the rear bearings not getting grease when using the EZ Lube system is a "real world critical factor"....

The OP and anyone with axles that have not been inspected since the trailer was delivered to the owner is "TOTALLY UNAWARE" of the condition of their bearings, brakes, magnet and rear seal...

While it would be "really nice" to be able to rely on Lippert, Dexter, AL-CO or any other axle manufacturer, it's just not "real world" to expect that the lowest bidder axle manufacturer will have 100% compliance with every build requirement. As an example, back in 2017, Keystone had a recall for axles that were not properly lubricated. In 2019 they had a recall for axles that were missing the rear bearing race.

To believe that EVERY new trailer that any manufacturer builds will have "properly assembled, properly lubricated and properly adjusted hub components" is, IMO, wishful hopes...

Until an owner actually services the hubs and KNOWS that they are reassembled properly, any towing of the trailer is "putting the potential for hub/bearing/brake failure on some unknown entity that may or may not have had a bad day when your axles were built".....

At this point in time, I'd say that the OP is "living on borrowed bearing time"...

President Regan's quote, "Trust but verify" isn't just for politics..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 08:15 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your observation about the rear bearings not getting grease when using the EZ Lube system is a "real world critical factor"....

The OP and anyone with axles that have not been inspected since the trailer was delivered to the owner is "TOTALLY UNAWARE" of the condition of their bearings, brakes, magnet and rear seal...

While it would be "really nice" to be able to rely on Lippert, Dexter, AL-CO or any other axle manufacturer, it's just not "real world" to expect that the lowest bidder axle manufacturer will have 100% compliance with every build requirement. As an example, back in 2017, Keystone had a recall for axles that were not properly lubricated. In 2019 they had a recall for axles that were missing the rear bearing race.

To believe that EVERY new trailer that any manufacturer builds will have "properly assembled, properly lubricated and properly adjusted hub components" is, IMO, wishful hopes...

Until an owner actually services the hubs and KNOWS that they are reassembled properly, any towing of the trailer is "putting the potential for hub/bearing/brake failure on some unknown entity that may or may not have had a bad day when your axles were built".....

At this point in time, I'd say that the OP is "living on borrowed bearing time"...

President Regan's quote, "Trust but verify" isn't just for politics..... YMMV
I'd wholeheartedly agree!
Mine only had about 5-6k miles on them, I had given each wheel 5 pumps of grease once in that time, only to find all 4 drums full of grease, probably an entire tube in each. So either the factory or the dealer had done me a favor & "packed" the wheel bearings for me. I was lucky Crossroads (now Keystone) customer service reimbursed me for 4 new brake backing plates, drums turned & hand packing the bearings, I furnished tbe labor. I pulled the zerks out of the spindles & put plugs in their place, that wasn't going to happen again.
If you haven't done it or had them done, whether new or used, since you've owned the rv, DO IT ASAP! You don't know what you don't know!..
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-21-2023, 08:17 AM   #10
Buffettfan

Okay! I'm convinced!

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated!
Before our next trip, I will be disassembling the hubs and cleaning and repacking by hand.
Also I'll be adding some spare pre-packed hubs to the spares kit.
I REALLY don't want to be "That Guy" sitting on the side of the road with smoked bearings.

Thanks Again!
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 08:47 AM   #11
Maineiacs

For those of us not able to do this ourselves, what is the average shop time for this service? Am I looking at a $100. bill or selling one of the less desirable grandkids?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 09:12 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
For those of us not able to do this ourselves, what is the average shop time for this service? Am I looking at a $100. bill or selling one of the less desirable grandkids?
Labor rates at most RV service centers (dealerships) ranges from around $110 per hour to $175 per hour (depending on location and what the market will bear. Trailer service centers (sales and service dealerships for cargo trailers and flatbed trailers can do the same job and usually for a bit less "per hour labor charge". Then there are independent RV repair shops and mobile RV repair technicians that often are cheaper, even with the travel charges, than most dealerships....

Around here (every location will differ) the cost to repack bearings, replace the seals and adjust the brakes runs from around $200 to $350. The cost increases depending on how busy the shop is and how "hungry" they are for business. Shop around/call around to get estimates in your location.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-21-2023, 02:34 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Check with local shops for pricing. I have a shop in my little town that does brakes/bearings etc. (along with other stuff) and they charged me $30 wheel (120). That was 4? years ago (last trailer, year before I traded; new trailer and one year later replaced entire suspension axles and all along with disc brakes). New Timkens cost I believe $75.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 04:54 PM   #14
Stircrazy

I use the ez lube all the time on mine. If done properly it is fine, it is the people who don't do it right that have issues. Well, most initial issues are caused by rv tec's that don't take the time to do it properly when you take it in, because they have a lineup of work to do.

if you jack it up and have the tire spinning the whole time you are pumping in the new grease it will be fine, unless you are pumping like a mad man or trying to use an air greaser. these are designed to be totally full of grease, not just have the bearings packed and having done both on my 5th wheel I can tell you using the ez fitting and doing it properly led to a 60-degree running temperature drop over just popping the bearings out and greasing them.

The problem with the ez lube is people don't take the time to look up how to actually fill them and just pop the cap and start pumping. that is an effective way to blow seals. on a brand new rv I would always recommend filling the caps with the ez lube right away as they don't from the factory, and they don't do it for a pdi. I found out the hard way and had to seize up on my first trip because all the manufacture of the assemblies did was dip the bearings in grease and throw it together.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 05:26 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post

... on a brand new rv I would always recommend filling the caps with the ez lube right away as they don't from the factory, and they don't do it for a pdi. I found out the hard way and had to seize up on my first trip because all the manufacture of the assemblies did was dip the bearings in grease and throw it together.
I won't comment on using EZ Lube to grease the hubs, our opinions on this system are 180 degrees apart...

However, your comment about having a bearing seize and self destruct and your thoughts about the manufacture of the assemblies is exactly the reason I always recommend that anyone with a new "unknown axle condition" trailer should seriously consider one of the very first "maintenance tasks" is to disassemble the axles, determine the condition of the bearings, races, brakes, magnets and hubs. Once that "known good condition" is verified, then the new owner can tow with confidence that the axles aren't going to be what leaves them sitting on the side of the highway when they should be sitting in a quiet campground site, enjoying the weekend.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-22-2023, 05:31 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Anyone that buys a new RV needs to factor in all the deficiencies they will find in the unit...some so small, that they have to have either corrected under warranty or do themselves. Then they need to assess their belief that the major critical components of bearings etc. have been somehow put to a higher level of scrutiny - they weren't. Everything on an RV bought new, and more importantly bought used, has to be gone over by the owner; to make assumptions on anything is a guarantee of failure and unhappiness.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 06:23 PM   #17
TXiceman

I side with Stircrazy. As long as you use the E-Z Lube axles exactly per the instructions all is fine. But too many folks do not believe in reading manuals.

We have had a couple of RVs with the E-Z Lube axles, and I never had an issue with them, but I followed the instructions.

Ken
Old 10-23-2023, 03:42 AM   #18
JBM3M

Well I have to take off the wheel to access the easy lube so in my book it is just as easy to pop off the drum and pack the bearings and not have to worry about the seals going bad.

Stircrazy, I am glad it works for you. Not worth the possible issues for me, and I detest doing wheel bearings.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:10 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
Well I have to take off the wheel to access the easy lube so in my book it is just as easy to pop off the drum and pack the bearings and not have to worry about the seals going bad.

Stircrazy, I am glad it works for you. Not worth the possible issues for me, and I detest doing wheel bearings.
Same here!
I did read the instructions & did it as per instructions, but someone somewhere between the factory & my 1st time using it at about 3000 miles pumped all 4 drums full of grease.
Glad others have good luck using but I recommend to everyone I know that has it DO NOT use it, remove the drums & pack the bearings the correct way.
Its not necessary to pump grease into that system any more often than handpacking them, so once a year or every 10-12k miles would suffice. Yet I've met those that think every time they stop they need to give them a couple squirts & torque the lug nuts, neither is necessary.
You'll never know if the grease has bypassed the seal until you remove the drum, there's no indicator to let you know there's too much grease til you have no trailer brakes.
But to each their own! Their rv, their $$, their choice!
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-24-2023, 06:58 AM   #20
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I won't comment on using EZ Lube to grease the hubs, our opinions on this system are 180 degrees apart...

However, your comment about having a bearing seize and self destruct and your thoughts about the manufacture of the assemblies is exactly the reason I always recommend that anyone with a new "unknown axle condition" trailer should seriously consider one of the very first "maintenance tasks" is to disassemble the axles, determine the condition of the bearings, races, brakes, magnets and hubs. Once that "known good condition" is verified, then the new owner can tow with confidence that the axles aren't going to be what leaves them sitting on the side of the highway when they should be sitting in a quiet campground site, enjoying the weekend.
exactly, I would recommend the same on a new rv or even new to you. then you know they are done right. There should be no need to repack bearings every year, how often do people do the bearings on their car?
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance