Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2023, 06:43 AM   #1
59jemiller

Cover or not?

We just brought our first trailer, 2023 Cougar Half Ton 30 ft travel trailer and we live in northern WI. Our question is should we cover the trailer during the winter months? We have heard both ways. What are the pros and cons of covering it and if suggesting covering what is the best item to cover it? Thank you for any information.
59jemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:27 AM   #2
Max23

I was going to cover mine this year also. After much much deliberation and questions to many owners here in Nebraska, my decision came to a resounding no. Not sure what the weather gets like there but everyone here said don't do it. Causes more issues than it solves. With the severe winds we get here they tend to not hold up well. They tear and they scratch very badly. Campers are made to be outdoors so I personally will not be covering mine. Again, depends on the weather in your area I would imagine. I just know around here, 50mph winter winds are very common. Don't want my rig all marred up. Just my $.02 worth, which today is only worth about 1/4th of that. LOL
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:34 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59jemiller View Post
We just brought our first trailer, 2023 Cougar Half Ton 30 ft travel trailer and we live in northern WI. Our question is should we cover the trailer during the winter months? We have heard both ways. What are the pros and cons of covering it and if suggesting covering what is the best item to cover it? Thank you for any information.
Here's a couple considerations.
Are you physically able to tote the heavy cover up a ladder then hopscotch around everything on the roof to get it rolled out while 12'+ up in the air, then do it again in the spring, or in WI. possibly mid summer, when it thaws out to use it again. Or how long will it take it the thaw out & dry out before you could to able to remove it & roll it up before able to head out with the rv?
The wind has already been mentioned, it can do more damage than it may cure.
We are in a park in AZ., there's a snowbird Canadian couple that leave their TT on site year round. They cover it every spring when they leave. We've been here 7 years & they're on their 3rd cover, they typically last almost 2 summers, most have been repaired with duct tape by whoever watches their rv by the end of the 2nd summer. I'd think $200-300 every other year would be getting expensive.
My recommendation would be NOT!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 12:27 PM   #4
CBears

OMG, thanks for this thread! I was just getting ready to ask the same question but thought I'd do a quick search first. Very cool. I eventually want to build some sort of roof but that will be a minute probably. Until then, I'll wash with UV protecting wash and keep the plastic coated with 303 Aerospace Ultimate UV Protection https://a.co/d/a6OOW4T .
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 12:56 PM   #5
dutchmensport

I've done it both ways with 3 different travel tailers. I've been through several covers, as stated above, they last only about 2 years. On my current fifth wheel (4th trailer), I've never covered it. I've never bought a cover for it either. Why?

First, they don't last.
Second, the bigger the trailer, the more there is to deal with. Getting it up to the roof, spreading it out, and tying it down secure. That's not too bad to do when the weather is pleasant, somewhat cloudy overcast, and no wind. But try to do it in 30 degree weather, heavy winds, dampness in the air, some slick spots on the roof and on the ground, and it's a whole different matter.

Covering is good IF...

1. You plan on not using your camper for a while.

2. You can cover and uncover in pleasant weather.

3. You can secure the cover down so it does not blow or ruffle in the wind.

4. Your camper is close by so you can monitor it closely.

5. You are covering to protect it from snow-ice, or heavy wind that sand blasts the finish, or you must park it under trees that drop leaves and sap.

Covering is a bad idea if:

1. You plan on using the camper often and that means covering and uncovering frequently. (It's just a lot of work).

2. You plan on Winter camping and Winter trips. If you cover and then snow hits, or an ice storm hits, everything on top of that cover will freeze. The cover itself will freeze. Then you, not only, have to remove the snow and ice, you have to remove a solid sheet of frozen cover that is heavy, cold, and stiff as a board. Chances are, you'll never get it off and you'll end up canceling your trip.

3. Assuming you can get the thing off, now you have a gigantic 24-36 foot sheet of iced material you have to stow away somewhere? Where you going to put that thing with it frozen stiff. You absolutely cannot fold it up. It will be frozen and when it thaws, it will mold and mildew.

4. But assuming you do have somewhere to stow it, now when you return from your trip, you want to put it back on. Snow on the ground, freezing, and the cover will be a horrid mess to deal with.

5. If during the time it's covered you need to access the inside of the camper for something, you'll have to undo the straps and ropes and get access to the camper door. Then when you are done, tighten everything back up again.

Bottom line is.... if plan on NOT using the camper for some time (several months), then covering is not bad (IF) you cover and uncover in pleasant weather, the cover is dry, and you have somewhere to store it when not in use.

If you plan to use your camper, on and off again, and that means putting the cover on and taking it off several times, (and) if you have to that in inclement weather, it will be a nightmare to do. If you plan on using it, DON'T cover.

From personal experience, I saw no benefit covering after having done it, other than the down spouts punching holes in the cover, the cover rubbing the paint on the side of the trailer, and having to deal with a frozen ice cube of a mess all winter long.

THEN.... after several years, we started hitting the road in December, and January, and February, and March .... and the cover never went back on.
Old 10-30-2023, 01:37 PM   #6
jxnbbl

I have the opposite view...a newbie I purchased a cover with my first trailer, the sales guy made a mistake and gave me one that still fit my next trailer despite being 5-6 ft longer. I can understand the comments previously of scratching if it was some type poly tarp, the cover I have is an ADCO and I would say protects it very well despite the snow/wind that I have at our storage location. I don't use any more tie downs than what comes with it but make sure it doesn't flap loose.

On the roof I have 3 vents with covers, two ACs, 3 solar panels and of course the hande/loops of the ladder. My wife and I usually have in place in about 15-20 minutes. I am on the roof and we install it from "one side" her on the ground helping it from twisting and pushing the end seam up with literally a broom.

In the spring, the condition/cleanliness of the trailer is as good as new as I wash/wax it prior to storage.

Snow - I find that it actually helps as we leave storage in the single digits of April. I go down 2-3 times prior if we have had snow with a snow broom and pull down as much as I can at the end of march. The cover with the "vents" and AC cover make is so what ever is left is stuck to the material and not the roof. I can actually shake and bang on it with the snow broom and it comes off in chunks. In the 3 winters/springs I have have had to do this 2x. I couldn't imagine being able to remove this snow as easily if it was stuck to the roof and everything...but maybe we are a bit unique as we are the first to leave storage every year for a Florida trip.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover