Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #1
BigWheel

Hello from GA

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Garrett, and my fiancee and I currently live in Guyton, GA. I do not own a Keystone, but my father does(located in Kingsland, GA), and we do the majority of our camping together. A little over a year ago, my father upgraded to a 337FLS(2011 6.0 2500 Crew Cab) from a 294RL(2007 5.3 Yukon SLT). We are really enjoying pulling the fifth-wheel over the pull-behind, along with the many additional things the 337FLS has to offer. I know some will say the 2500 is not enough truck for the 337, but the vast majority of our travel is on flat land within an hour of the starting point, so I feel confident in the safety of the setup along with the caution we adhere to when traveling, but please enlighten me if my assumption is incorrect. I am very excited about joining this forum, as I am a member and moderator of various other forums. I'm just disappointed that I'm just now joining, as I realize the amount of knowledge that could have been gained years ago; but here I am now, ready to share and to learn!

BigWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
GaryWT

Enjoy and good luck. Lots of fun to be had.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
Tbos

Enjoy, welcome to the forum. Keep camping and having fun.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
Moomba80

Whats up from Baxley, Ga. Not to from Kingsland. A Diesel would make huge difference in pulling camper. Enjoy!!!
Old 02-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum! Good looking rig. Lots of good folks and info here.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

OK ~~ an hour or 10 hours it makes no difference. Flat is good as gas engines have the torque needed for hills at a higher RPM and will whine or scream. Not a huge deal as that is their design. As mentioned above a diesel would be so much easier.

To see where you are in numbers ~~~ 1st look for the yellow sticker. It should be on the pillar at the drivers door and may be on the door. It will give you a lot of info in a few numbers. 1st is the tire size and load rating at max air pressure. Always tow both trailer and TV at max air. It will also give you the max load on both axels. Payload is important as that is everything in the truck including the trailer pin weight. Next on the camper door frame there will be a yellow sticker that states the weight when shipped which will be different than the advertised pin weight as there are options added. The weight is without water, propane, and any food or stuff you add.

Just looked at your 337FLS. It has a listed pin weight of 2165# so I'll go no farther on the above. With options and real world numbers I'd guess about 2400# or more. Add everyone and everything in the truck and unlikely less than 350#. A gasser has more payload as the diesel engine weighs a lot more. If your payload is not at least the total of your pin and cargo you are putting a lot of stress on the truck. The axel ratings become important and the tire weight ratings too. If you have P rated tires on the truck ~~ I'd talk to an experienced tire shop as they can see your axel rating and amount of air the wheels are also rated at prior to suggesting an upgrade ~ hopefully E rated.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

You will want to do a little research on the vehicle and trailer combo. If you have the 3.73 rear end you are probably overloaded with the trailer (max trailer is 9800 lbs). If it's 4.10 you're good to go. Look at the payload on the sticker inside the truck door. You may be over payload as well. You can google most of the information, use the stickers on the truck and trailer then go to a scale. You may be OK, you may not. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote