Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
robncyndi

New RVer

Hello!

While my husband and I have been tent camping with our son since he was a baby, 15 years later my husband's bad back demanded that we upgrade to the comfort of an RV.

We just bought a 2015 Keystone Sprinter 316BIK bunkhouse. It's still sitting at the dealership, however, as we can't park it on our property until the snow melts. Can't wait to get it home so I can start customizing it!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6def2c0a93.jpg
robncyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
rwmurphy15

Congrats, hope your have a lot of good memories
Old 03-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum and congrats on the new purchase! I can relate to the bad back issue and can assure you that waking up after a night in the camper is no camparison to getting up off the ground.....I can actually walk when I get up now!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
GaryWT

Congrats and good luck. What plans do yo have to customize it?
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
buzzcop63

We tent camped when we were kids but when good old dad bought a 15' travel trailer with an ice box, small bed for them and the kitchen table for us two kids back in the 50's I thought I had found heaven! Below are a few things learned as a new Travel Trailer owner that might be useful on your first trip out.

1. If running on 30 Amps do not run A/C and Micro Wave at same time, watch what you have running or the Circuit Breaker on the Pedestal or in the trailer will open.

2. Do not run the toilet fan when the toilet valve is open (flushing) you wind up drafting air down the Black tank vent and into the trailer, not good on the old nose!

3. Buy if you do not have a clear pipe for the Black Tank drain hose and when you dump attach to the trailers drain pipe, helps know when tanks are empty and if you have a Black tank flush when the Black tank is clean.

4. Getting weight checked at a scale is a very good idea. Keep weight down as best you can. Check height of wheel wells front and back of truck before attaching trailer and after, want front height to be same loaded, as when unloaded, this will show how well weight transfer hitch is working. If you have a good dealer they will set you up correctly. Any doubt asks questions on this Forum!

5. Check tire pressure on trailer each time you hit the road.

6. Check date on your tires, (DOT4512 example) tire made in week 45 of year 2012. Tires age out faster then they where out. Four to seven years say the experts.

7. Watch your speed, heavy trailers are hard on tires, and 55 to 60 MPH gives better mileage and a lot less heat in the tire.

8. Tire Minder is a good investment for safety.

9. Hand signals agreed upon before backing up and the person signaling should always be visible to the driver.

10. Small portable electric heaters work great and save LP gas when temperatures above freezing.

11. Sky lights, they can let in a lot of light in the morning as well as heat and cold, Camping World has a great push in cushion that just fills the skylight.

12. You can run Refrigerator on LP the night before loading so it is ready to go in the Morning if no 110V is available.

13. Wipe dishes and drain any cans into garbage bag, do not dump down drain, rots and can build up in Gray tanks.

14. Cougar remote control, if you turn on the floodlight you must turn off with the remote or it will stay on. The remote can turn on the flood light even if you have the power from your batteries turned off and are not attached to shore power!

15. Before taking off or putting on Spring Bars, run the jack up to help take weight off the bars. Always set both sides the same number of chain links. Lube the ball and Spring Bars as well as Sway Control with heavy bearing grease. Wipe off when put away hitch or when staying over night to keep from getting on your cloths.

16. Use bubble type level and put on freezer floor, if bubble stays at least half way in the center you are good, also do not want refrigerator to be un level for more then 1/2 hour, per Trailer Life video by Master Mechanic.

18. Heavy items store low in trailer, light items up high.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

to the Forum From Western PA.

CONGRATS on your new Rig ENJOY

So you think that white stuff is going to melt this year

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
JimQ

Welcome to the Forum and best of luck with your new trailer!! I also have to wait for the snow to melt to pick up our new unit. I do have a date of April 14th for the pick up. Hoping it will all work out!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote