Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Glory72

Question Passport Ultra Lite 195RB

Having been TT campers for 20+ years are looking to downsize to smaller TT. Are looking at the Passport 195RB. Would like input from others who have/had this model with good and bad points or suggestions to another similar TT. One definite want is a "walk-around" bed!
Glory72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

We looked at that model when we were shopping. I liked the layout quite a bit. We went with the 238ML because of the rear bunks, but I kind of wish we had taken the 195RB instead. The larger bathroom and rear door would have been nice.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:08 AM   #3
Glory72

Passport Ultra Lite 195RB

How long have you owned the 238ML and have you encountered any problems with it? We have always bought older but in good shape TTs and had good luck with them but would like to buy a new smaller trailer. Looked at another Keystone product, Summerland, but it seemed cheaply made. Would appreciate your opinion!
Glory72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:50 AM   #4
BirchyBoy

We took delivery of ours in April of this year, did a quick weekend trip, then took it on a 26 day, 5,600 mile trip. It has a couple little issues with trim pieces but has been perfect mechanically. I would buy another Passport tomorrow based on my experience.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
snowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory72 View Post
Having been TT campers for 20+ years are looking to downsize to smaller TT. Are looking at the Passport 195RB. Would like input from others who have/had this model with good and bad points or suggestions to another similar TT. One definite want is a "walk-around" bed!
Just picked up a 2012 model Wednesday! So, can't say much other than we are looking forward to our first outing... it won't be very far as winter looms and there is already snow flurries in the forecast for tonight but I know we will get some nice days yet, will go to the local tourist park or a nearby State Park. We fired up the furnace and played some cribbage in the driveway the other night... the stereo is very nice, the refrigerator is huge and has a top-door large freezer too.

This afternoon we are picking up our tow vehicle... an '07 Silverado Classic 1500 Z71 4x4. With a sub-4000lb TT I didn't feel a 3/4ton truck was necessary. We are planning to head for Florida with it in March.... going to take a 2000mi road trip with the truck for Thanksgiving before we do any long TT haul to find out if there are any issues with the truck.
2005 Mazda Tribute
2000 Silverado 2500 4x2
1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1995 Honda Shadow ACE 1100
1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
1984 Corvette
3 boats and a canoe ...
snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Sicapo

We have a 2012 model. This summer was our third summer with it and we really enjoy it. No problem with it except for the 12v battery that started leaking this summer. Replaced it with a better quality one (Gel). On each summer we did over 3000 miles with no prolem towing it with a Jeep Grang Cherokee V6. Since wére now only 2 adults (kids have grown-up and are now on their own) this TT size is perfect for us. Would recommend this model anytime.

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Just picked up a 2012 model Wednesday! So, can't say much other than we are looking forward to our first outing... it won't be very far as winter looms and there is already snow flurries in the forecast for tonight but I know we will get some nice days yet, will go to the local tourist park or a nearby State Park. We fired up the furnace and played some cribbage in the driveway the other night... the stereo is very nice, the refrigerator is huge and has a top-door large freezer too.

This afternoon we are picking up our tow vehicle... an '07 Silverado Classic 1500 Z71 4x4. With a sub-4000lb TT I didn't feel a 3/4ton truck was necessary. We are planning to head for Florida with it in March.... going to take a 2000mi road trip with the truck for Thanksgiving before we do any long TT haul to find out if there are any issues with the truck.
Snowdog,

Great trailer and here's hoping you enjoy all your trips with it. Just one question though: Being from Marquette, you were playing "cribbage" not "Uker" ???? Hmmmmm

I remember many nights by the fireplace on Bluff Street (across from Harlow Park) learning the "fine art of Uker as Uncle Leonard beat us every game! LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
snowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Snowdog,

Great trailer and here's hoping you enjoy all your trips with it. Just one question though: Being from Marquette, you were playing "cribbage" not "Uker" ???? Hmmmmm

I remember many nights by the fireplace on Bluff Street (across from Harlow Park) learning the "fine art of Uker as Uncle Leonard beat us every game! LOL
Ya hey it was Cribbage, with the cribbage board ....
We also play Euchre, but as partners with another team.

The American Legion is on Bluff Streat across from Harlow Park.... never knew an Uncle Leonard.

Just brought the "new" Silverado home this afternoon... I bought it pretty much on impulse because it was a great deal in this area for a clean used low mileage truck. (came from Kenosha, WI) Time will tell .... one of the shop mechanics is my neighbor.

Tomorrow I'm going to go over all the rpo codes and see what differential it has... it's got the Z71 offroad package but I think there were otions for the gear ratio. No tranny cooler but I seriously doubt that the Ultra-lite will tax the tranny as I like to select gears and watch rpm but I'll get a quote to put one in when I take it in for service.
2005 Mazda Tribute
2000 Silverado 2500 4x2
1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1984 Corvette
3 boats and a canoe ...
Old 10-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Snowdog,

Leonard Brown, he was the postman for years in that area of Marquette. Wound up with two hip replacements from all that carrying the mail. He and Aunt Blanche are both gone now, but the memories are still right in the forefront. I spent a few nights at the American Legion "back in the day" but that was before I met my DW. We've been married for 45 years, so that should tell you how long ago I was "allowed to party" LOL

Rain and cold here, flurries predicted for tonight, but no "snow" as we know it. That'll be in a couple of weeks, and then archery season will really get interesting.....

Depending on where you're going to drag that new trailer, you'll probably never miss a transmission cooler. Up there, in the winter it can be as bad having one as it is not having it in the summer when towing. I'd try it without one before plunking down the money.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
ljp

Picked up a new '12 195RB and towed with our '01 Tahoe from MN to CA and back during summer 2013. Trailer is easy to handle and right size for wife and myself. We prefer the face to face seating vs side by side in other models. Good size shower and comfortable kitchen setup. The bed was surprisingly comfortable given the mattress is not very deep and it was easy to arrange due to the walk around configuration. We will be looking for jacks we can add to raise tires off the ground during long term parking, will appreciate any suggestions about what is available.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:03 AM   #11
snowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Snowdog,

Leonard Brown, he was the postman for years in that area of Marquette. Wound up with two hip replacements from all that carrying the mail. He and Aunt Blanche are both gone now, but the memories are still right in the forefront. I spent a few nights at the American Legion "back in the day" but that was before I met my DW. We've been married for 45 years, so that should tell you how long ago I was "allowed to party" LOL

Rain and cold here, flurries predicted for tonight, but no "snow" as we know it. That'll be in a couple of weeks, and then archery season will really get interesting.....

Depending on where you're going to drag that new trailer, you'll probably never miss a transmission cooler. Up there, in the winter it can be as bad having one as it is not having it in the summer when towing. I'd try it without one before plunking down the money.
Congratulations on 45yrs! .... we just had our 40th this year and we are both almost medication free, aside from bp pills and DW takes a cholesterol pill.

I probably met Leonard and just don't remember.... I used to hang out at the Portside Inn down the streed from the PO and many of the guys would come over for happy hrs.... I worked next door to the Portside so I was there a lot.

I went through all the RPO codes in the trucks glove box, no worries about towing .... turns out it has the Z82 package as well as the Z71... has the codes for HD tranny cooling and a 411 rear end ... seems strange that they didn't include the tranny temp gauge but I'm not going to worry about that.

I am extremely pleased to have found this truck without a scratch on it for $16K ... a major convenience package with Bose stereo is frosting on the cake! The history report showed just 2 owners, it started out as a fleet vehicle then went to auction with 19K miles.... now up to just 94K, going to put synthetic 5w30 in it this week.... just wondering now what kind of mpg I can squeeze out with that 411 rear end... hoping for as good as or better than the Cherokee... jeeps are gas hogs... the older ones anyway.
2005 Mazda Tribute
2000 Silverado 2500 4x2
1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1984 Corvette
3 boats and a canoe ...
Old 11-22-2014, 03:31 AM   #12
Murphy Brown

Good morning. I thought I had already responded, but didn't see it listed. We just bought a new 195RB a few weeks ago, and can give you some good info if you're still thinking of buying one. Just a few quick items: 120 outlets- few and far between. Range hood- no outside vent, just recirculates air. Murphy bed has pros and cons. Nice to have sofa during the day, but maybe not as comfortable as regular RV queen. Lastly- no bumper on the 195RB. I spent many hours designing and building a way to install my bike rack. Much harder than it looks.