Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
scotty76

Cougar 24rks opinion?

Hi all, first of all I would like to thank everyone who participates in this forum, it is very informative, people are polite and helpful. As one thread stated "there are no stupid questions".
I am looking into purchasing a 2010 or 2011, keystone 24rks or 24rkswe TT, I was wondering who has now? or has had one in the past?, and your thoughts on the product. I pull with 1500 Chevy Silverdado SB with tow pkg and 6.2L and 1000 lb Blue Ox distribution hitch.
thanks in advance,
Scott
scotty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I haven't had any of the models you referred to but do have a rear kitchen 5th wheel and I note that all of the models in your post have one. We were drawn to that feature because of the increased counter space and being able to see the outdoors from the cooking/prep/eating area.

There are some precautions we have taken because of the location of the kitchen cabinets that store the plates, cups, glassware, etc. The rear of any unit is more prone to bouncing up and down and we soon found out that the dishes also do this. We now line the shelves with "Scoot Guard", insert a pillow into the cupboard and have installed an extra latch to prevent the door from opening. So far, so good. We also throw a cushion into the microwave to keep the round rotating plate from breaking.

And welcome to the forum!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Murphsmom

I'm jealous! That was the trailer I really wanted. Loved all that kitchen space! We ended up with the Cougar 25rlswe because of the big rear window and the larger slide. I still wish there was a way to get both the big kitchen and the view!
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
buzzcop63

Wife and I have a 2012 Cougar, 24RKSWE.

We are going on our 4th season with this trailer and have found it is a perfect match for the two of us. Towing the trailer is no problem with our Tundra; it handles very well causing no sway. No defects have surfaced, all of the major components of the trailer work. The large dinette window works quite well to view your camp sight. Heating and cooling the trailer is no problem with the built in ductwork. The electric awning and slide work great and with the remote you can be outside and work both, makes set up easy. Storage space is quite good; we stay out generally 6 to 7 nights each trip and have room to spare.

The tanks in the trailer as well as the LP tanks would give the cold camper amble time to be out in the wild if you wished. We camp at State and County parks that do not have on sight dumps available so the size of the Black and Gray tanks was important to us. If you have specific question please send to me on the privet message, also see my pictures under my name. Good luck and good camping. Please let me know if you wish additional information, I have weighed my trailer and truck if that information might be useful.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
buzzcop63

Scott, found another one of my posts with more information:
After 6 years of RV shows and reading everything I could about RV travel my wife and I purchased our Cougar. We tow with 2012 DBL Cab Tundra, 4.6V8, two-wheel drive. They layout of the Cougar is perfect for two retired people in their very late 60's. The outside is fiberglass and framed with aluminum, making it both easy to clean and strong. The entrance door is wide to the rear kitchen with three steps plus porch and foot light for safety. The rear kitchen provides room to prepare meals while providing all the necessities including an oven. Ample window space for the cook to see out and a skylight over head provide a nice day light feel. The floor is mostly easy cleaning vinyl. Cabinets are cherry wood and put together with screws.
The slide out does not permit movement from front to back of the trailer when it is pulled in but does provide a great deal of space when run out. You have a jack knife couch and kitchen table that make into beds for small adults or children. The fabrics seems to be of high quality through out the trailer and must have some type of protection on it as our dog as had mistakes which easily cleaned up and leaves no stains. Evenings spent watching the small TV are quite comfortable and the couch and dinette seats do not crush under you as happens in cheaper trailers.
The bathroom is large enough to accommodate an adult, the toilet is Porcelain with foot flush and the shower is quite comfortable. The shower has a magnetic strip along the door that helps keep it closed as well as a slide lock for travel. Storage is also provided in the bathroom for towels, TP and other items. The bedroom has a comfortable mattress, large areas beside both sides of the bed for reading material, etc. The bedroom is well lit by skylight and the second door. The door to the outside from the bedroom is only a two-step design so a stool is needed to easy getting in and out. Their are plenty of lights through out the trailer as well as 120V outlets.
Under the trailer it is sealed, has MOR/ryde suspension, their is a Black tank flush, battery disconnect, remote operated electric awning and slide out. The tanks are large and provide comfort for a good 5 nights cold camping before tanks may need to be dumped.
Things we found that we would like to add or change, switch for water pump in bathroom instead of just at the control panel, on/off control for fan in bathroom instead of on the fan, would be nice to have switch on the wall. Covering for window in doors, now use foam boards to block light in the mornings. Cover for overhead skylights, which we use, push in foam to cover when we do not want the light.
This unit also has an excellent Converter that is a smart battery charger. Unit tows well and has plenty of storage with access from bedroom into pass through that is quite handy. No problems to report during our years with this trailer, we have been very pleased with its quality and design.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
scotty76

thank you

for the in depth description and advice. I have pulled numerous rigs and owned a couple more in my life and this floor plan and weight and length are perfect. I was hoping for a good review on this model, I am handy enough to take of 99% of things that come up, just want to start with a solid rv.
thank you.
scotty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Really not much more to say after buzz. We talk and have camped at same park same time several trips now. He really did a bunch of research before buying the trailer. We looked at lots and agree with what he said about the floor plan. So, my comment is it is not the best if you have kids or grand kids since someone would be sleeping on the couch or dinette where as if you got one with bunks they would have a bed out of the way of the couch or dinette. Which may or may not be a big deal to you. I did that with kids in the past before bunk beds where ever available.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:38 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

scotty76 , Welcome to the forum. We have had a RK model since '07 and it still suits the two of us just fine. One of the main things we like is that everything (except the tv) can be used during stops in rest areas without extending the slide. Good luck with your decision and travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote