Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Susido

New Laredo 5th wheel owner hoping for the best

Hello folks, I'm thinking this forum will soon become very useful to me. Today I purchased a new 2014 Laredo 329RE 5th wheel (37' long). I'm probably fairly unique because I won't actually be using it to travel and camp in. At least not in the foreseeable future. I don't even have an adequate tow vehicle for it - I have a 2000 GMC 3/4 ton 6.0 gas with a 5th wheel hitch and I'll consider myself fortunate just to get this beast to where it needs to be - about 90 kms away.

I bought it to live in more or less seasonally while I'm at my farm. I wanted a good sized unit with decent insulation and dual pane windows so that really cut down the available options. I guess I was lucky to find a previous year model at a local dealer. Current year model pricing is killing Canadians due to currency free-fall.

I am a bit annoyed I had to pay for all of it up front considering I won't be taking possession of it for another month. The dealer told me he can't risk someone backing out of a deposit on a 2014 and the deal I'm getting is based on him getting his money right now. What concerns me is now that they have my money I have no power over them as far as making the PDI process to my satisfaction.

Lots of site prep to do soon as things thaw. I will eventually build insulated skirting around it as I will stay in it occasionally during winter (I don't need the plumbing to work in the winter, just a place I can make reasonably warm). It probably won't move from its spot for several years. Will also need to build a deck...

Extended warranty is something I'm going to need to consider closely. Do you guys think an extended warranty is more important to someone like me who lives in the unit a fair bit (4-5 months a year) or to someone who actually travels around a lot with it?
Susido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

First, to the forum. There are lots of folks here with lots of experience.

Paying for the unit up front could pose a problem but not if you have a good, reputable dealer. Use the PDI from this forum when you go get it. Send them a copy prior to arrival so they know what the drill is going to be. Hopefully they are stand up folks that will take care of everything just as they should. Keep in mind that by the time you get it a month (at least) of your warranty period will have expired.

Everyone has a different take on extended warranties. Some would rather self insure, some buy the insurance and some do neither. Personally, I have it. Don't know if it's going to be worth it but I have it just the same. In your case, and the way you will use the trailer, I don't know if it would be worth it. A trailer being hauled/bounced all around the country traveling thousands of miles every year will encounter a lot of "stuff" that you won't being parked. Others will chime in I'm sure. Just take some time to think about all the different issues you think you may face, what would be covered under warrant, do a pro/con list and decide.

Congratulations on the purchase and good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
therink

I believe the most important aspect of RV ownership is a thorough PDI performed by you the buyer. Never count on any dealer to say they went through everything and take their word for it. If you look close enough, you will find items that need adjusting, tightening, revealing, realigning, etc. It is just the nature of the beast.
If you do find these items once settled on the farm, you will have to haul it back to the dealer for warranty work. Based on what you are doing, I don't think this will be easy for you.
It is. My opinion that extended warranties are not worth the $. I believe they are written as an insurance policy with too much fine print and not in the benefit of the owner. You also have to be careful with any warranty as Keystone does not design this model for full time use. I believe this is written in the Keystone warranty.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
Susido

Thanks for the welcome. I've never bought an extended warranty before and I probably won't be this time either. It's one of those weird 3rd party warranties where you pay extra to get the option of getting 80% of your cost back in 6 years if you never make a claim on the warranty but only if you remember to notify them in writing within 30 days...It also costs nearly 3 grand.

sourdough, my warranty won't start until the day I pick it up. That's the date they submit the warranty documents to Keystone which is a different date than the sales invoice.

I've downloaded the very good PDI preparation worksheet from here and will use it during PDI. I'm told mine is one of the better RV dealers around here so I'm hopeful they will do a good job. Good idea on giving them the form beforehand. Yeah it would be a serious PITA to haul it back to the dealer for warranty work, I think I will spend the first couple of days in it parked in front of my city house (local).

It wasn't hard for me to find a number of things that need fixing already - for example almost none of the lower skirting is attached to the little support brackets so it's almost flapping in the wind. I asked my salesman if the skirting is supposed to be so loose and he says "oh yeah". Sigh.
Susido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I would suggest you talk to the sales manager or Keystone about the skirting issue. If it has brackets I would think it should be attached. In your situation it might not mean a lot but if you pull it you really want the skirting secured as much as it can be.

My RV is about 37'. It did not have any anchors for the long expanses of skirting down the back portions. I have now had my fenders replace two times (in the shop again as we speak). Keystone has authorized new braces down the length of the skirts and they will be attached to them. The wind blowing under the long expanses of thin metal makes enough vibration that the screws in the fenders crack them and the pull everything loose. Again, I would have them attach them "just in case".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote