Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #21
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
My silver lining is that I have a hearing loss and my audiologist tells me "don't spend a lot on high quality audio equipment, you can't tell the difference anyway".
Silver lining, huh? You must be a "glass half full" kind of guy. Good on you.

I don't expect state of the art sound out of these things. I just want them to work as designed. This is really my first bad experience so hopefully the warranty replacement will solve the problem.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:12 AM   #22
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondan95705 View Post
When I asked furion for help, they were more than happy to help... a good experience gets about 2 people told. A bad experience gets about 10 people told..

Glad to hear a good news story.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:42 AM   #23
TJO

I have the Keystone MyTv that came with our 2019 trailer. I took my high end tv that came with the trailer out (sarcasm) and replaced it with a 4K smart tv. I wired the sound into DV3300 by using an analog to digital converter. Sound quality is mediocre at best but I keep it pretty low so I don't disturb the neighbours. I also hooked up a hard drive to smart tv so no more DVD's or CD's for me straight M4V's in 1080p or 4K for me now. Smart tv i can connect through phone or camp ground WiFi for streaming. Yet to find a campground wifi that has been good enough to stream. For music I bluetooth my phone that way I have volume control outside the trailer. I don't watch a lot of TV so when it rains I have about 60 movies and 200 tv's show to catch up on. So for me the furrion DV3300 is best solution and works the way I need it. I use the ES Control app for my phone as well to control DV3300. Is it high quality no and I would replace it if they come out with a better option/quality.
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:58 AM   #24
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The entertainment system in my new Monty is a Furrion DV3300. The online reviews on this unit are horrible. My own experience has been not very good.
  • The unit often just hangs in "Load" when a DVD is inserted. I can stop/eject/reload, etc and it will work.
  • When playing a movie the sound track can get way off of the video. Stop/eject/reload/find where we were and it will correct for a while.

I've never had any system fail like this. Some online searching said to do a hard reset which might correct the issue. I've done that. 1st DVD worked great. 2nd failed as before.

My last 5er had a Furrion system as well and it worked very well. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw.

Anyone else experience these issues?

Pardon my directness but Furrion is junk. I'm a sound engineer/techie and have a lot of experience with AV. The brand has captured the market by being one of the only RV AV equipment manufactures. Built cheap priced cheap. Nothing wrong with the company or business model but lets face it the trailer industry isn't going to install high end gear. They would have to raise the price or shrink the margin. And most people don't care as long as it works. I don't even use the system in my trailer. It's garbage. I installed a smart 4K TV with a sound bar. And an internet router with Sonos speakers. Sounds amazing. If you have Netflix and a hot spot your set. If not then download movies to a tablet and stream to TV
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #25
Scott in Michigan

We have a Summit television and a Furrion DV3300 in our Cougar 32RLI. They do their job but not without first having presented plenty of frustration. I looked into replacing them but like most of us came to the conclusion that wasn't worth the effort, and over time I found ways to mitigate their shortcomings.

The problems I experienced were partly the fault of the equipment, and the rest due to poor workmanship at the Keystone factory.

Regarding the DV 3300, it's so far from being intuitive to use it's ridiculous. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't read the black on grey remote buttons, and they are microscopically small too boot. The unit also has quite a lag in response to the remote control.

But in spite of that, I found a way to make the sound halfway decent. That was to just turn on the loudness feature (labeled but well hidden as LOUD on the remote control - look for it near the MUTE button).

Furrion tech support is responsive, but they probably won't tell you what you want to hear. For example, I wanted to turn the Bluetooth feature off in my unit. It would connect with my phone even though I didn't want to every time I walked by. I mean, seriously, who wants to take telephone calls over the sound system of their RV? Or have it ring over the speaker system when you're in range? I get it that you would play music from your phone through the sound system but that would be easy enough to do with a 1/8th inch cable, and avoid the flawed Bluetooth design. They were responsive, and told me there was no way to turn it off. But at least they replied.

(For the record, the Furrion rear observation camera that came with our TT is well designed and works remarkably well. Good signal and frame rate. If they hadn't discontinued the model, I would heartily endorse it.)

My TV and sound system were mis-wired from the factory. It would not play the television sound, which we find too low in volume, through the trailer sound system. It was a simple fix. I moved the DV 3300 to the HDMI 1 (ARC) input on the TV. Then you select the ARC function on the DV 3300. That's it. A sweet victory.

Keep in mind that when you press a button on the DV 3300 remote there's a four or five second delay before the sound system responds to the command. Long enough delay that when you select a function via the remote and press it one thinks nothing is going to happen. Just be patient - the command will catch up.

Regarding poor installation quality, that's a pretty dominant theme across these boards. So check every coax connector that you can get at for tightness.

I found that every RG6 coax connector was either installed on the cable improperly, or the threads were loose to the point of falling off, or both.

I have a crimping tool and use RG6 in applications in my amateur radio station, so they were easy enough to replace with higher quality connectors.

An example: the antenna on the trailer roof can be removed, even though the directions from Winegard guard say it cannot. Removing ours, I found the coax connector was not tightened between the antenna and the coax into the trailer. That was only the first problem.

I replaced or had to tighten all the other connectors throughout the trailer, installed an inline booster, and figured out, in spite of the lack of documentation, how the off air and cable systems interact in the Winegard preamplifier. Please note the inline amplifier I added was placed in the stead of the splitter for an outside television. That alone eliminated -3 dB of signal loss. I tapped 12-volt DC from the Winegard power injector which is located in the bedroom wall. From what I gather the power injectors are located in all sorts of unusual areas in our trailers. You are looking for a rectangular wall switch size plastic cover with a push button switch and a green LED.

With all that, the television works reasonably well now. I attribute the remaining problems to the inherent lack of digital TV's ability to handle weak signals. We live in the far north and stations are well removed from us. Digital does not handle weak signals as well as the old analog system. That part is not really the TV's fault. Thank the FCC for that transition.

When I had the TV antenna off the pedestal mount on the roof, I was curious and disassembled it (T10 Torx) and found that it contains a collinear stacked array that is circularly polarized. There are tiny inductors between the elements and about half of them were broken, so I resoldered those.

In regard to poor radio reception, that's probably because the Keystone factory didn't bother to unwind to the small FM dipole antenna that's stuffed behind the radio in the cabinet. Seriously. It was still rolled up as it came from the Furrion factory. Extend it fully and tape or staple it inside the cabinet area. That made a big difference.

In regard to AM reception, it's not going to happen with the setup as it comes from the factory. If you are interested in AM reception, contact me and I'll tell you what I do.

No, I am not a know-it-all or dissatisfied. My intent in posting is to just help someone else so they don't have to figure it all out from scratch, and to hopefully reduce your frustration.

We love our Cougar 32RLI trailer and wouldn't trade it.

Scott & Gin
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #26
sonofcy

Great information, thanks for letting us know
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:39 AM   #27
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
Regarding the DV 3300, it's so far from being intuitive to use it's ridiculous. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't read the black on grey remote buttons, and they are microscopically small too boot. The unit also has quite a lag in response to the remote control.

But in spite of that, I found a way to make the sound halfway decent. That was to just turn on the loudness feature (labeled but well hidden as LOUD on the remote control - look for it near the MUTE button)
Scott & Gin
Who's the bright mind that chose the tiny fonts and colors on that remote?

You're fired.

We too love our 315 RLS and wouldn't change it.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:58 AM   #28
jsb5717

Our last 5er came with a Furrion and that miserable little remote. I found this one, which made all the difference

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...xoCaCMQAvD_BwE

Our new Monty actually came with 2 of these nicer remotes
Old 06-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #29
66joej

Scott in Michigan sent you a PM

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:59 AM   #30
Pare

More Furrion Junk

I too have a Furrion DV-3300 piece of crap. Tell me, can anyone even read the remote controls without 10 power magnifying glass? And who decided to put any color lettering on a gray background? The bluetooth function is worthless...cant even con ect to it from the doorway, much less from outside. VERY DISAPPOINTED! This unit should never be found in a Montana.
Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:13 AM   #31
Logan X

Quote:
Our last 5er came with a Furrion and that miserable little remote. I found this one, which made all the difference

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...xoCaCMQAvD_BwE

Our new Monty actually came with 2 of these nicer remotes
Thanks for that link, I’m going to try it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #32
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pare View Post
I too have a Furrion DV-3300 piece of crap. Tell me, can anyone even read the remote controls without 10 power magnifying glass? And who decided to put any color lettering on a gray background? The bluetooth function is worthless...cant even con ect to it from the doorway, much less from outside. VERY DISAPPOINTED! This unit should never be found in a Montana.
Sadly there aren't really many viable options in this category. And none of the contenders seem to rate high enough to be a clear quality leader. I sometimes wonder if the issue is the initial build quality (likely driven by coach manufacturers budget demands) or these units being subjected to the bouncing and bumping of the ride. Maybe it's both.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #33
GeekSquadOfUn

Clearly the RV industry in general in looking for nickel and dimes, and has for years. In my previous coaches I had the infamous Concertone radios and DVD players, they were all terrible. Furrion is just another marketing scheme to service the RV industry with the lowest quality, best looking crap. If they wanted, they would put brand names, like Sony or Pioneer who make very good 12V systems. They would put decent tires, not cheap low quality tires. The RV industry is a bit like the Big 3 car makers in the 70s. Still hoping for a turnaround one day.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:01 AM   #34
xrated

Quote:
Sadly there aren't really many viable options in this category. And none of the contenders seem to rate high enough to be a clear quality leader. I sometimes wonder if the issue is the initial build quality (likely driven by coach manufacturers budget demands) or these units being subjected to the bouncing and bumping of the ride. Maybe it's both.
I'm sure the bumping around doesn't help the low quality junk components that go into them, but let's face it, No Amount of bumping around is going to knock the low wattage output out of the already feeble output of the system. You start out with low quality junk, you end up with low quality junk........that doesn't work very long.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #35
Mroe67

I'm think about getting the Verizon Jetpack 8800L. It had some bad reviews but they did an update to it and it's supposed to be better now. Anyone have it now? How does it work?
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #36
B-O-B'03

I think we have turned our TV on maybe 3 times since we bought the camper in 2015, once in our yard where we park it, once at my BIL's house and once when we rented some redbox movies while camping in Palo Duro canyon.

I have quit listening to the stereo too, since the outside speakers are crap and even after replacing the speakers inside neither of them sound as good as the Bluetooth speaker I bought.

We listen to music quite a bit, it sounds really good and I can move it to wherever we need it.

It also has a jack that we could plug the TV into, if we we ever decide to watch something.

Guess we don't go camping to watch TV

-Brian
Old 08-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #37
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
Who's the bright mind that chose the tiny fonts and colors on that remote?
Probably someone who was fired from Apple for making their signage too readable. Ever tried to read a serial number off an Apple laptop? Four-point type, light gray on metallic silver.

I particularly appreciate how you cannot set the clock on that radio unit without using BOTH the remote and the front-panel controls.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #38
foldbak

Junk! The speakers, amp, disk reader and remote interface all junk. I added a soundbar, Sonos and a smart TV. Works and sounds great.
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #39
GarryWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pare View Post
Aware its a year later... I waslooking for info about hooking up the camera on my 2020 Cougar 32RDB and I came across this post. LoL Glad I'm not the only one. Spent 20 minutes on our last trip trying to get the damn thing paired with my phone...after it was paired for a good half an hour and just up and decided "...nah, I don't want to be connected anymore". Had to reboot my phone...reset the stereo...reset the phone again...reset the stereo two more times...and it FINALLY reconnected. I agree on the terrible range too...took my phone out to set on the table we keep set up right outside the door and immediately it started cutting in and out.
GarryWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #40
jacksonbgood47

I have a verizon jet pack. I used it extensively in my old trailer. I have used it a couope of times in new trailer worked well but we were in populated areas with good wifi reception. Call verizon and have them update your data to 5g. I plan to use my jet pack with an Apple TV instead of my carry out satellite antenna.
jacksonbgood47 is offline   Reply With Quote