Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
jsb5717

Furrion Junk?

The entertainment system in my new Monty is a Furrion DV3300. The online reviews on this unit are horrible. My own experience has been not very good.
  • The unit often just hangs in "Load" when a DVD is inserted. I can stop/eject/reload, etc and it will work.
  • When playing a movie the sound track can get way off of the video. Stop/eject/reload/find where we were and it will correct for a while.

I've never had any system fail like this. Some online searching said to do a hard reset which might correct the issue. I've done that. 1st DVD worked great. 2nd failed as before.

My last 5er had a Furrion system as well and it worked very well. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw.

Anyone else experience these issues?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
xrated

I'm certainly no expert on this stuff, but I'm getting the impression, the more I read about Furrion, that they are high priced average to less than average equipment...some might even say junk! YMMV and mine is personal opinion
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Of all the Furrion products we see in RV’s the failure rate seems to be fairly small, or we are just a lucky dealership.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Of all the Furrion products we see in RV’s the failure rate seems to be fairly small, or we are just a lucky dealership.
Chuckster.....I can't tell you the number of complaints I've seen over the several forums I'm on, plus a couple of facebook pages relating to RVs with the Furrion entertainment systems that a lot of the manufacturers put in the newer trailers and toy haulers. I've done some searching for alternative equipment (Mine has a Jensen and it is pretty bad itself) and there really isn't a lot of choices out there. Lots of folks have just simply installed home entertainment systems that run on 120V and ditched the 12 volt inferior stuff. At one time I had thought about a Furrion rear observation camera, since mine is prepped for one, but after reading a lot of negative stuff about Furrion cameras too, I will go with another brand when the time comes for me to purchase a rear view system.....rear camera and both side cameras.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Furrion Junk?

I find people like to “pile on” on forums when it’s time to complain. Opposite is true when when something is good.

I base my opinion on real world personal experience with a very broad base of customers.

To each their own.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
xrated

Quote:
I find people like to “pile on” on forums when it’s time to complain. Opposite is true when when something is good.

I base my opinion on real world personal experience with a very broad base of customers.

To each their own.
Chuckster, you are in a position that most people aren't, with the job you do. That means a lot when you see things everday....good or bad, real world experiences. After hearing what you have to say about the Furrion products, it's certainly worth reconsidering. You're right on what you said about folks piling on in some instances. I was just kind of struck by the sheer number of complaints that I see about them. Oh well, I'm not quite ready to buy one yet, so I've got more time to research. Thanks for your input as always.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Chuckster, you are in a position that most people aren't, with the job you do. That means a lot when you see things everday....good or bad, real world experiences. After hearing what you have to say about the Furrion products, it's certainly worth reconsidering. You're right on what you said about folks piling on in some instances. I was just kind of struck by the sheer number of complaints that I see about them. Oh well, I'm not quite ready to buy one yet, so I've got more time to research. Thanks for your input as always.

FYI, I bought a Furrion rear camera and it’s working well. It has the capacity for 2 side cameras too but I think the display would be too small.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

When you get the side view kit, you can scroll through the different views. Whatever your looking at is full screen.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
xrated

Quote:
When you get the side view kit, you can scroll through the different views. Whatever your looking at is full screen.
That is something I would not be willing to compromise on....having to scroll through the different views of the cameras. If and when I get a camera system, it will be capable of seeing all three views at the same time. I realize that the rear view will most likely be the predominant view with the side cameras a smaller view, but especially at highway speeds (65 MPH for me most of the time), I want to be able to quickly scan the left, right, and rear basically all at the same time. This will most likely require a 7" screen, but I'm OK with that.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
That is something I would not be willing to compromise on....having to scroll through the different views of the cameras. If and when I get a camera system, it will be capable of seeing all three views at the same time. I realize that the rear view will most likely be the predominant view with the side cameras a smaller view, but especially at highway speeds (65 MPH for me most of the time), I want to be able to quickly scan the left, right, and rear basically all at the same time. This will most likely require a 7" screen, but I'm OK with that.

Mine is a 7” and I believe it has the option to do either, show all 3 or let you scroll through. I’d want all 3 at once, this my comment on the smaller views. Currently I like the big 7” display for the rear.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #11
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The entertainment system in my new Monty is a Furrion DV3300. The online reviews on this unit are horrible. My own experience has been not very good.
  • The unit often just hangs in "Load" when a DVD is inserted. I can stop/eject/reload, etc and it will work.
  • When playing a movie the sound track can get way off of the video. Stop/eject/reload/find where we were and it will correct for a while.

I've never had any system fail like this. Some online searching said to do a hard reset which might correct the issue. I've done that. 1st DVD worked great. 2nd failed as before.

My last 5er had a Furrion system as well and it worked very well. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw.

Our Furion DVD failed to load - locked up - on our second trip. We called Furion customer service. After going through how the unit was behaving, they sent us a new unit with a return shipping label to send the old unit back to them. The new unit works fine (touch wood)

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #12
jsb5717

That's good to know. Thanks for the help
Old 06-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #13
goducks

Furrion is junk. Or at least very low quality. Most TT/5er stereo systems are mediocre at best. Speakers are bottom end. Head units produce low watt outputs.
Our Furrion head unit is doing the same thing the OP's is. Sits on load and goes nowhere.
Rather than listen to inferior sound and probably having to deal with the same issues again I simply added a Samsung sound bar and wireless woofer along with a Samsung Bray player.
On a side note I had a Jensen 965 unit and had zero issues for 6 years. JMO but Furrion is a step down from Jensen. Both are weak at producing quality sound though.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post

If it's the same DVD failing it might be the DVD, and of course Blue Ray won't work and I don't know about dual sided DVD's or double density DVD's. Basically it's only for simple gen 1 DVD's. I don't use mine, I rip to disk (I keep an NAS online for that) and use any one of a number of tools to get it thrown up on the big 4K. My old TV had a USB port in front and I would pop a stick in but the new 4K doesn't have that.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #15
jsb5717

It's definately the equipment. Just the same DVD's I've used on previous systems. They work fine any place else. It's getting replaced under warranty. Here's hoping we get a good one...
Old 06-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #16
Dcowboys2002

We have the furrion media player in our keystone 2020qb Springdale and the Bluetooth in it is horrible we literally have to be 5’ away for us to play music off our phones yet our friends with a keystone bullet with a Jensen ( I believe- I could be wrong on make) can be about 3 sites over and still play music on theirs! Very disappointed
Dcowboys2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #17
GoldenRetreat

I find all of these all in one systems are mediocre at best.
The latest was an iRV brand and had some very advanced options, Bluetooth, HDMI through, phone app, etc eyc.

I got so tired of all the problems, and crappy crappy sound quality that I pulled out it and replaced it with a home amp, bookshelf speakers, and sub that I found of Kijiji.

I wired the trailer speakers in a series and attached them to the B-channel.

I'm not allowed to post pics yet, so I put a picture of the set up as my profile picture.
GoldenRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #18
weavermc

So far, i've had no issues with my Furrion items in my year-old 5er. I "DID" have an issue with the camera monitor mount in my truck - shot them a note via the website, got an answer back 24hours later with a free replacement of a small item. I'd recommend you give them a shot...
weavermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #19
falcondan95705

When I asked furion for help, they were more than happy to help... a good experience gets about 2 people told. A bad experience gets about 10 people told..
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #20
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRetreat View Post
I find all of these all in one systems are mediocre at best.
The latest was an iRV brand and had some very advanced options, Bluetooth, HDMI through, phone app, etc eyc.

I got so tired of all the problems, and crappy crappy sound quality that I pulled out it and replaced it with a home amp, bookshelf speakers, and sub that I found of Kijiji.

I wired the trailer speakers in a series and attached them to the B-channel.

I'm not allowed to post pics yet, so I put a picture of the set up as my profile picture.
We have the iRV system in our Montana and it plays DVD's and CD's w/o issues. The radio reception is so crappy we don't use it. The Blue Tooth works good so we just use I Heart radio on the cell phone and run it in the B/T. The rig also came with a sound bar that I believe is also iRV. All is tied in with the TV and seems to work good once you figure out all the remotes and which one to use.
My silver lining is that I have a hearing loss and my audiologist tells me "don't spend a lot on high quality audio equipment, you can't tell the difference anyway".
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote