Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #21
Lambville

If you have power available where you park your rig, I would suggest putting one of these under it. I know it says that it's for indoor use only, but we use one outdoors near our spa. We had a problem with mice and rats running along the fence in that area, and going for their final swim in the pool. After three weeks with this back there, the rodents are nowhere to be found: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNJRW4S/. Just keep it out of the weather, and elevated a bit off the ground.
Lambville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #22
CampNBrew2

@ Lambville,
Any issues with other pets and that device like dogs or cats?
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #23
Lambville

We still have cats in the yard, which continue to hunt and kill rats - we live in the middle of an almond orchard. They don't seem to be affected at all. We don't have a dog, so can't comment on that. The manufacturer says that it doesn't affect those animals, for whatever that's worth.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #24
CampNBrew2

Great thanks
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #25
Lambville

By the way, the device says that in the first week, you will see MORE rodents/mice. This is absolutely true. This thing must make them absolutely crazy during that first week. By the third week, they went away.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambville View Post
If you have power available where you park your rig, I would suggest putting one of these under it. I know it says that it's for indoor use only, but we use one outdoors near our spa. We had a problem with mice and rats running along the fence in that area, and going for their final swim in the pool. After three weeks with this back there, the rodents are nowhere to be found: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNJRW4S/. Just keep it out of the weather, and elevated a bit off the ground.

In reference to use with dogs in particular; I don't have this exact unit but one very similar that we use(d) in our mountain home. When we acquired puppy years ago and took her into the house she acted very agitated and wouldn't stop. We use various electronic devices as pest repellents and decided it must be one of them. We disconnected them one by one and when we took the one with the variable frequency/speakers out she calmed down. We do not (cannot) use it any longer when we are in residence - I do turn it on when we depart. Just an fyi if you encounter something like that.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #27
Rwb-afb

Spent $1500 for mice proofing last year when we bought our used 2015 Cougar. Dealer said he had to wear a hazmat suit when he applied it and it had an awful smell that would repel mice. Stored the trailer over the winter and found 3 in the toilet and trapped a few more over 2 weeks. We are taking it back to have areas that we missed re-applied. Left it in storage until then with an ultrasonic beeper hoping to keep mice away. Wife is allergic to cats!
Rwb-afb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #28
travelin texans

Had an ultra sonic device from Ace Hardware plugged in the basement if our 5th wheel, trapped 2 mice that night & never saw another or any evidence of others.
The only other critter it seemed to affect were squirrels, they would look bewildered & turn away, which was great as they're just a bigger rodent that can do more damage if they get in.
It also must have worked on insects, once installed we didn't have spiders, no cobwebs, ants & flies didn't seem to come nearly as much.
As for storing without power I used Ramick Green pellets found at Tractor Supply scattered around & underneath, it's not a poison but a pest deterrent so not harmful to other wildlife, after 2 years in/out of storage no critters took up residence.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #29
thefulminator

Here is something you might try. I don't know if it will work with mice but it has worked for me with raccoons and cats. I had cat and raccoon problems around my house and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of them. Then I found out that one thing that critters don't like is the smell of ammonia.

I bought a half gallon of clear unscented ammonia bathroom cleaner at walmart for $0.99. I drizzled it in the areas where the critters liked to hang out and they quit coming around. I can smell it when I first put it out but the smell stays at ground level once the liquid evaporates. The raccoon has never returned but once in a while the cats still come back. When I know they have been around, I drizzle a line of ammonia down the sidewalk around my house. They won't cross the line.

A neighbor was having a problem with a raccoon living under his hot tub and I told him about using ammonia. He later told me that he poured a little between the deck boards and the raccoon came out very unhappy and never came back.

I also told a coworker about it who was having problems with rats getting into the engine of his truck and chewing on the hoses. I suggested that he drizzle some on the ground where he parks his truck and haven't heard of him having any more problems.

If you splash some ammonia under the trailer, the fumes may drive the mice out of the underbelly.

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
thefulminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:46 AM   #30
cygnussailor

If you really believe that you have mouse proofed your RV then I have a bridge I would like to sell you!!! Seriously, you still need to be proactive against mice and other pests. One of the most effective things I have found are rat and mouse glue boards. If there are mice, the glue boards will catch them!! Once I was convinced there were no more mice I bought some of the sonic and ultrasonic pest repellent devices. At first I wasn't convinced that the electronic devices would work so I continued using the glue boards. I haven't caught even one mouse on the glue boards after putting in the electronic devices. I also had some rodent (mice, rats, squirrels, or chipmunks) chew all of my brake wiring, leaving me with no brakes! I put one of the sonic devices, called a "Bird-X," under the camper on a slightly raised platform to keep it from getting wet. No further issues down there either. Even if you have been successful at eliminating any possibility of mice getting into your camper...I seriously doubt it, you need to be concerned about underbelly wiring.
cygnussailor is offline   Reply With Quote