Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #21
mikz86ta

Just tell them your pulling it with a Mini Cooper, problem solved.
If your still worried,..vynil decals that say Mini and Cooper to cover the Ram and 1500 are pretty cheap to have made .
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #22
jkoenig24

It could be simple geometry. Yellowstone is an OLD park with OLD roads. MANY of the roads through the various campgrounds are very narrow with TIGHT turns. Traveling these old, narrow roads will of course be done while you are hooked up and, at your longest length. Long vehicles will simply NOT fit (or, squeeze by with great difficulty likely incuring damage to the vehicle and / or park).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:01 AM   #23
Hoodlatch

You have to call early to get a DOUBLE SITE. A double allows you possibly 40ft camper with room to park your crew cab beside your camper. I can’t say all, but some campgrounds there have a couple double wide sites that are NOT reservable using the online system. You must call and talk to them and they will tell you how many are available and at which campgrounds. This is nothing new. They just don’t explain that online.
We are 45+ foot hooked up. Last year when I called to get our spot for this summer, they only had 5 double sites left in the park for our dates, probably due to Fishing Bridge construction. Two of these sites were in Madison, which we never stayed, so I booked one.
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 AM   #24
jsmith948

We stayed at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. About 5 minutes from the west entrance. This is a really nice, FHU park. The staff was great. The CG store sells buffalo meat or you can walk into town for buffalo burgers at a nearby eatery. Sites are wide with ample room in between with lots of grass.
FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #25
melkope

We stayed in West Yellowstone at the Wagon Wheel RV park. It was really nice and not too bad of a drive in everyday and we have a Sr. pass so there wasn't any extra charge to enter the park.
melkope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #26
notanlines

Jack, we also stayed at Grizzly. Fine people, but they placed the power pedestal too close to my slide. You just can't get good help. That snow y'all see is actually just heavy frost. It didn't really snow until we got to ol' Faithful. Couldn't even see any of the eruption! This is Brenda getting ready to blame me rather than the hired help....(There was no damage)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1097.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	21884  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #27
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jack, we also stayed at Grizzly. Fine people, but they placed the power pedestal too close to my slide. You just can't get good help. That snow y'all see is actually just heavy frost. It didn't really snow until we got to ol' Faithful. Couldn't even see any of the eruption! This is Brenda getting ready to blame me rather than the hired help....(There was no damage)
Those pedestals are sneaky. If you don't keep your eye on them, they'll move on you and make you think you misjudged the distance.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:01 AM   #28
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
We have extremely fond memories of staying in a "nothing" campground on the Madison River in Ennis/Cameron MT while visiting Yellowstone. Bare utilities, six tight slots (rarely filled), mostly a cabin business. But the mighty Madison thunders practically under your rear bumper 20' down, and you wake up to fresh elk scat each crisp morning (to clarify, we all enjoy such things, especially our water-dog retrievers). The bathhouse was a gorgeous modern log building, and the steakhouse on the next lot was to die for. We watched a serious cattle drive take place across the river one morning. The place does a huge business with anglers, though we don't share that interest.

20 years later, both the cabins and the steakhouse are still in business. If we ever find ourselves revisiting Yellowstone, you can bet we'll be checking in.
This sounds like my kind of place. My US287 dream is still alive: follow US287 from Port Arthur TX to Choteau MT. Please tell me the campground name. I've about wore my trigger finger out scrolling up and down the Madison River on Google map. PM if you like.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #29
the406life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Decided to scrap Bridge Bay. Going with friends who’s rig is over 50ft and don’t want to take the chance of getting turned away. Got great spots at Rainbow Point just outside the park, complete with hookups. We’re going in early September, hopefully with the kiddies back in school Yellowstone will be less of a zoo.
H

Good choice, you will like Rainbow Point. Nice campground, WAY cheaper than the RV parks and campgrounds inside Yellowstone. Good swimming area on Lake Hebgen, very close to West Yellowstone. There are usually some buffalo hanging around the area as well. Always the possibility of bears as well.

I have to recommend a visit to the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery center in West Yellowstone, it's well worth the price of admission just to see the bears. Everything else there is just a bonus.

I would also recommend a trip to Earthquake Lake just a few miles away, as well as checking out the Lewis & Clark Caverns, also not very far away.

The Virginia City and Nevada City ghost towns are also close enough to be worth checking out.

As someone that lives in Montana It's easy for me to recommend more things than you'll have time for. You really need 2 weeks to check out everything that area has to offer.

Edit: I was hoping nobody would mention Rainbow Point. It's my secret camping place when I'm down that direction. I live a couple miles from the west entrance of Glacier Park. Feel free to hit me with questions about this area as well.
the406life is offline   Reply With Quote