Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #61
chuckster57
Site Team

I bet the igniter/flame sensor is the issue. It's the wire sticking out of that ceramic piece. Held in by a tiny screw. You need to be sure it's close enough to the burner to spark and that the end is in the flame when lit.

Old trick: take it out, unplug from control board. Clean ceramic with WD-40, re install and try it. Don't have any idea why but it works if that's the issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:20 PM   #62
cvin

Stopped at 2 different rv places this morn to see if anyone could clean it/service it but they were all busy

One place told me to just take an air compressor and blow out everything back there, i had a weak one with me and did it
Ran it on electric with the genny for a while and then swapped back to gas and it stayed on....

Dont know if blowing out the back a little helped or what...

Seems to be running fine on electric

Long day and i am sick of trailer problems
Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #63
MrEnto

I just parked my Fuzion 345 for 4.5 days. Fridge on propane no lights left on but there are a lot of electronics goodies running with no obvious way to disconnect them. When I got back, the Batt's were dead and Fridge defrosting. Pretty disappointed. Had to jump start the Gen and all was well again. Noticed the Fridge does run a fan inside when its going and figure that could be a significant draw. The trailer still has the two stock (cheapo) 12v Batteries that came with it when purchased last october. I will replace them with atleast 2 6v deep cycle when they are toast. Thinking about ways to isolate the refer from everything and cutting the batt's from all the electronics like "InCommand" system. Also wondering if anyone has figured out how big a panel it would take to keep the batt's charged to run the fridge and incidental crap that doesnt turn off?
MrEnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #64
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEnto View Post
I just parked my Fuzion 345 for 4.5 days. Fridge on propane no lights left on but there are a lot of electronics goodies running with no obvious way to disconnect them. When I got back, the Batt's were dead and Fridge defrosting. Pretty disappointed. Had to jump start the Gen and all was well again. Noticed the Fridge does run a fan inside when its going and figure that could be a significant draw. The trailer still has the two stock (cheapo) 12v Batteries that came with it when purchased last october. I will replace them with atleast 2 6v deep cycle when they are toast. Thinking about ways to isolate the refer from everything and cutting the batt's from all the electronics like "InCommand" system. Also wondering if anyone has figured out how big a panel it would take to keep the batt's charged to run the fridge and incidental crap that doesnt turn off?
Welcome to the forum

Your unit probably has the 4 door NorCold with the built in fans. Those fans will draw a bunch and I haven't spent any time researching the possibility of shutting them off. A pair of GP 24 batteries isn't going to last long with the fans running.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #65
cvin

Ok, so this is where i am now on the frig mess

Got it running tuesday by using a weak air compressor i had in the truck to blow out the back area--- or maybe it just fixed itself....

Drove the camper 90 miles to the grand canyon and it stayed lit fine
Was on auto and plugged in, no issues the two days it was there

Pulled power and no issues for the next 45 min to an hour on gas while i hooked up/ flushed tanks etc

Drove 50 miles and stopped for something
Check light back on...

Will not seem to relight now
Waiting to hear back fom a mobile rv repair guy about coming tomorrow to clean it etc

Here is the thing
About 3-4 weeks ago it was funny about relighting and thought i would watch some videos and clean it myself
Well i could not figure out how to get it all the way apart, so had planned to just take it to an rv shop and have it done once it was back in tucson this fall

It worked a few days fine, then the battery fiasco

But when i was back there trying to take it apart the entire cabinet, all the metal etc looked perfectly clean and pristine

Now 3 weeks and a few storms later it is really dirty in there and looks like rain has been blowing in there
Is there a cover that could go over the regular outside door that would still let it breathe but would stop rain getting blown in there?
Just something i could leave on when it is parked?
Old 08-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #66
chuckster57
Site Team

Question on batteries/frig

Air flow is critical. I'm still hedging on the flame sensor/igniter being bad. When it's running on LP, you should be able to see the flame through a sight port or looking "down" past the two wind shields.

What color is the flame? Is the igniter/flame sensor tip yellow hot?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #67
cvin

Chuckster i really appreciate all your help

I am driving a friend down to phx right now and will stop at an rv place and try to get this part , lucklily took a pic of the frig panel last week and have the model number

Will keep you guys up to date
Old 08-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #68
chuckster57
Site Team

Not a problem, that's what I'm here for. Let me know what happens.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #69
cvin

Mobile repair guy came today and he agreed, the sensor was not in the flame right
He adjusted it and it seems fine now....
I have the back up part if i need it at some point

This was probably it

I have this thing at home and plan to put it in the camper and periodically blow out the frig area

https://www.amazon.com/Metro-ED500-D...omputer+duster

Also going to buy some of the insect screens for the ac cover and hope that will slow down some of the water etc getting in there during storms
Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #70
cvin

Update on the solar panel

This is a cheap HQST solar suitcase from amazon
It is polycrystalline but a freind has one for his rv and said it works well for him

Renogy was backordered and i liked the support legs on this one better

Am using photgraphy sand bags to hold the legs down and it has not budged in the wind etc

It has been sunny the past few days and the batteries are staying at 100% with lights on, frig, and maxxair fan on 100% power most of the day, water pump for 2-3 showers a day etc

Ran lights and tv a good bit last nite and batteries are at 100% already

Not trying to conserve power at all

Lowest i have seen the batteries at night is 96%
The voltage on the panel readout exactly matches my voltmeter

I had a solar shop here in town make up some nice wires with andersen connectors so i can just unplug it, it came with clamps and i dont want to mess with taking the covers off the battery cases

Have seen output on the panel from 1.5-5.8 depending on how the sun is hitting it

Doubting 2 batteries is going to handle the furnace even in az this winter so planning to put in an olympian wave 6 in a couple of months

If i was not somewhere as sunny as AZ probably would have bought monocrystalline and a little bigger, but think this is going to work pretty good here, especially in the summers when i leave the camper for a week to ten days at a time
Old 08-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #71
Yak

http://samlexsolar.com/calculator/index.aspx
Old 09-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #72
cvin

Update on the solar panel/frig

Left the trailer for 10 days , frig was on with a small interior fan running that is wired into the 12 volt
Heat strip is disconnected
Everything else that draws a little, alarms etc were on

The HQST solar suitcase kept the batteries at 100%
So far so good...
Old 09-09-2017, 02:43 AM   #73
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds good. Glad things are working.