Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
jaydubya1966

Smile New to RVing but took the plunge

My wife and I are first time RV owners. Just bought a 2017 Passport Elite 19RB from Lazydays in Tampa, FL. The 19RB was the right size, weight and configuration and was reasonably priced for us. I am towing with a 2015 GMC Acadia with a tow package. Being new to TT and towing I purchased a Blue Ox weight distribution/anti-sway system. The RB19 is not that heavy (3800 dry weight) but since the Acadia is not the most robust tow vehicle I opted for safety. I have towed the TT about 25 miles on the highway and it was really stable/smooth.

We hope to see more of Florida over the next year before we attempt a longer trip. A bit concerned about the entry-level tires so I will be monitoring the forum for tire information.

Lazy days was great and we would recommend them. We had a bad TV and it was replaced with a better TV in about a week.

Can't wait to get going. First trip is this weekend. Just a short drive south of Tampa.

John + Lynn W.
Passport Elite 19RB
2015 GMC Acadia
jaydubya1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
51ferguson

Congrats on the new camper jaydubya, lots of state parks in our neck of the woods. Are you staying at a private campground or a state park for your first trip this weekend? Lazy days is a huge dealership, was there just this weekend just looking around in the parts and accessories store also took a ride through their rv resort that place is huge also. The wife and I are considering taking the grand kids there some weekend. Happy camping and enjoy the new rv.

Billy
51ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Be careful towing with your Acadia. Unless they have increased the towing capacity. I think you are near the max, especially with your family loaded. Have fun making some great memories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Alpine

Hey now... high fives to you! Welcome aboard to an unending wealth of information on this site! Enjoy your new RV and keep in touch!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:02 AM   #5
BlueThunder34

to the forum, and congrats on your new trailer!! You are going to enjoy all of the great memories ahead!

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
DAN d

congrats on new rv enjoy happy camping
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:35 AM   #7
24v

Congrats on your new purchase, be careful.

You may want to recheck the weight. Keystone website says "Shipping Weight 4335".
http://www.keystonerv.com/passport/

According to what I could quickly find from GMC, the Acadia is rated to tow 5200lbs.
http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/towing-charts.html
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
jaydubya1966

Re: New to RVing but took the plunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
Congrats on your new purchase, be careful.

You may want to recheck the weight. Keystone website says "Shipping Weight 4335".
http://www.keystonerv.com/passport/

According to what I could quickly find from GMC, the Acadia is rated to tow 5200lbs.
http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/towing-charts.html
You are correct...my error. TT is 4300 dry and Acadia tows 5200. Just two of us and we will def need to watch the cargo. Did a 100 mile trip this past weekend and the Acadia towed fine. Kept it at 60MPH but it was flat. Appreciate the attention to detail.
TV: 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L
TV: 2015 GMC Acadia SLT (Retired in Nov 16)
Old 10-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
jaydubya1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Be careful towing with your Acadia. Unless they have increased the towing capacity. I think you are near the max, especially with your family loaded. Have fun making some great memories.

Thank you. Will load carefully. Indeed we are about 900lbs under the TV max. With cargo, etc it is closer than that. Will look for a scale to know for certain.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
jaydubya1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51ferguson View Post
Congrats on the new camper jaydubya, lots of state parks in our neck of the woods. Are you staying at a private campground or a state park for your first trip this weekend? Lazy days is a huge dealership, was there just this weekend just looking around in the parts and accessories store also took a ride through their rv resort that place is huge also. The wife and I are considering taking the grand kids there some weekend. Happy camping and enjoy the new rv.

Billy
Billy,
We stayed at Rambler's Rest in Venice. It was a 100 mile "check ride" for us in the TT. Never towed before and the Acadia pulled TT easily. Gas mileage wasn't pretty but the ride was good. Was careful with the cargo since we are w/in 1,000 lbs of max capacity before cargo, etc. Can't wait to try some state parks...any favorites? Lazy days is a huge operation and the service was good.

John
Old 10-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
Tbos

Watch your tire pressure closely and keeping it at 60 should help you continue to have safe trips. Watch out for curbs. Had to cut a corner short and hit one this summer. It cost me two tires. One was a blow out on the road. Keep smiling and having fun.

Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #12
jaydubya1966

Thank you...will do.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:35 AM   #13
51ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubya1966 View Post
Billy,
We stayed at Rambler's Rest in Venice. It was a 100 mile "check ride" for us in the TT. Never towed before and the Acadia pulled TT easily. Gas mileage wasn't pretty but the ride was good. Was careful with the cargo since we are w/in 1,000 lbs of max capacity before cargo, etc. Can't wait to try some state parks...any favorites? Lazy days is a huge operation and the service was good.

John
Glad to here your first trip was a good one. I really like Hillsborough river state park, Little manatee state park, Alafia river state park and Rainbow river state park. we will be spending the first week of November at Rainbow river state park campground. We have a few county parks in the area also that are nice that can accommodate rv's. Simmons park in Ruskin, (go during the cool months or the noseeums will eat you alive) Edward Menard park in Plant city is really nice and Lithia spring in Lithia is a great park. We hope to start seeing some of the other state parks in the future, I really want to visit some of the parks that are located on or near the beaches. Hope you enjoy the new camper.
Billy
51ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:21 AM   #14
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.

Isn't it fun? I to just started with my 1st TT this summer. I just take my time and watching out for the other guy is a must. There are a lot inconsiderate drivers out there and they will cut you off and crowd you. And you know how fast the drivers in Florida love to drive. When we are ready to hit the road we both do walk around to ensure everything is snugged and road ready. Love it.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote