Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
dieselman959

Laredo 288 Front Cap cracks

Hi, new to this forum but not new to rv's. Have been an RV owner since 1990. This is the second Keystone RV we've owned. The first was a 2003 Mountaineer by Montana, great rig, would still own it if fuel prices were still what they were in 2003, but downsized to a new Keystone Laredo288 travel trailer in March 25, 2017 after looking at ALOT of travel trailers at the RV Show in Oaks, PA aND speaking to a Keystone factor representative ato the show. We ultimately bought the Keystone product because of the good experience we had with the previous rig.
Yesterday while waxing our new rig for the first time, I discovered paint overspray, sanding swirl marks in body filler/putty and ultimately cracks at the top apex corners of the front cap, from a repair that was done before I owned the rig.
I immediately contacted my selling dealer, left several voice mail messages and a verbal message with a person at the dealership. I understand it was a busy Saturday, the rv industry is hot and heavy right now. I also sent an email with pictures of my discovery. I heard nothing going back by the end of the day.
Tomorrow is Monday, I will try to contact my selling dealership first, the reach out to Keystone directly.
I included pictures.
What Avenue should I take to get this addressed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-08-12-12-10-52.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	13660  
dieselman959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
CaptnJohn

Somewhere the cap looks to have come into contact with something real hard. It was known and the 'fix' was done poorly!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
dieselman959

Both top radius corners near the marker lights have been repaired. The curb side is cracking. And I agree, poor repair, at least according to my high school auto body class level experience. Appears they never wet sanded with 220 grit.
dieselman959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I can understand your frustration with the dealer not returning your calls, but it may very well be that the service manager and upper management do not work on the weekend. Hopefully you'll get a call tomorrow.

As for what to do? I'd suspect that the best course of action would be to give the dealer the opportunity to make it right. His first action will probably be to contact Keystone and discuss their recommendations. Depending on what Keystone says, if they approve, then repairs can begin. If not, well, ???? It looks like you're one year warranty has ended, so I'd suspect the initial answer to be "NO". Followup may or may not be successful, and even if Keystone agrees to repair the trailer, I'd suspect the "tone" of the communications would probably make it seem that they are doing you a favor. Remember "honey catches more flies than lemons"... Might be hard to keep smiling, but .....

If I were to have a similar problem with my Cougar (it is about 3 years out of warranty) I'd contact a fiberglass boat repair facility. I wouldn't trust an RV dealership to repair it. Most of them don't do fiberglass work, they "sub it out". By them doing that, I'd lose the ability to followup with the repair facility if anything went wrong. I'd prefer to be in a "one on one" situation with the people repairing my trailer. So, I'd be in touch with a boat repair facility.

Keep us posted and hopefully the next contact with your dealer will be positive.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I can understand your frustration with the dealer not returning your calls, but it may very well be that the service manager and upper management do not work on the weekend. Hopefully you'll get a call tomorrow.

As for what to do? I'd suspect that the best course of action would be to give the dealer the opportunity to make it right. His first action will probably be to contact Keystone and discuss their recommendations. Depending on what Keystone says, if they approve, then repairs can begin. If not, well, ???? It looks like you're one year warranty has ended, so I'd suspect the initial answer to be "NO". Followup may or may not be successful, and even if Keystone agrees to repair the trailer, I'd suspect the "tone" of the communications would probably make it seem that they are doing you a favor. Remember "honey catches more flies than lemons"... Might be hard to keep smiling, but .....

If I were to have a similar problem with my Cougar (it is about 3 years out of warranty) I'd contact a fiberglass boat repair facility. I wouldn't trust an RV dealership to repair it. Most of them don't do fiberglass work, they "sub it out". By them doing that, I'd lose the ability to followup with the repair facility if anything went wrong. I'd prefer to be in a "one on one" situation with the people repairing my trailer. So, I'd be in touch with a boat repair facility.

Keep us posted and hopefully the next contact with your dealer will be positive.

The OP post said they bought it new March 2017. So it's still in warranty. My guess is something happened in transit and they tried (poorly) to fix it. The dealer should fully make it right. Unless they try to claim the OP damaged it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laredo, rack