Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 AM   #21
SRD

Question TireMinder TM55c

Does anyone use the TM55c tpms on their travel trailer. I have seen it used on video demonstrations with a booster recommendation. My trailer is 24 feet long, so I wonder if I would need a booster. The reason I considered this model is because it is a TireMinder product and price. I really don't want to spend three to four hundred dollars right now. There again I want something that will give good info without losing signal.Any imputs?
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #22
shooodog

I used it for the first time this week. I have a 2810BH and a F150 and have not purchased the booster yet. I lost signal on one sensor enroute to our destination. On the way back, I mounted it to the rear window in back seat and let my son monitor it. It worked flawlessly on the way home.
shooodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #23
Ken / Claudia

I purchased the TM77 last Dec. Regarding boost, These all come with a booster. Their manual explains it helps with distance but, also they believe it is needed due to "ever growing wireless world" the signal will not get lost do to interference. So, maybe the buying a system without a boost will work today fine but, what about next year. Get the boost now and do not worry. Mine came with alligator style clips to hook up to the battery. I was going to remove them and use solid connectors. Thinking it over the clips work fine and can be removed to prevent battery drain at any time. I just drove 1,000 miles and they never fell off. Putting a boost on is easy. It took 15 mins to find the best spot and another 15 mins to run wires to battery. No big deal as long as you can lay on your back under the trailer. The mounting was done without any drilling. I used heavy duty plastic zip ties. for the wire run and mount.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #24
shooodog

I forgot to mention that I would be getting the booster. Has anyone purchased the newer (Rhino Booster) compared to the other one (TMB-100)?
shooodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #25
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Without trying to summarizing, which is not practical, all the information out on the forum search for TMPS. My opinion is if the booster came with the package obviously put it on picture shows where I put mine. All power required right there in the junction box. In the event package does not include a booster (used to be $80-$90) I would try it, you will be alerted for loss of signal.

If you are adding any component(s) I would check with Tire Minder Customer Service, which by the way is excellent, for comparability. Heard they may be making some changes??

I currently monitor 12 tires with my Tire Minder going on 5 years, 18K miles on the shaker table with no issues, Saved me one time in mountains of West Virginia.

At least in 2013 Chevy did not provide TPMS on trucks over 10K GVWR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	12214  
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #26
DetnNet

I have the Tireminder A1A system with booster. The systems I see here were the ones that came to the top of the list in my searches. One feature someone commented on that I looked for, was a quick update or notification in seconds when you have sudden loss of tire pressure like a blow out.

The rest is just why I feel a TPMS is essential.
A neighbor was telling me about a tire that went out on their Cougar 5er and caused some damage in the wheel well. I had a class c before our current 5er and had a valve extension go out on an inner rear tire. I was checking the tires regularly with a hammer and still wished I could have caught it earlier. For me it provides peace of mind.

2016 Cougar 333MKS
2015 Silverado HD
DetnNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #27
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooodog View Post
I used it for the first time this week. I have a 2810BH and a F150 and have not purchased the booster yet. I lost signal on one sensor enroute to our destination. On the way back, I mounted it to the rear window in back seat and let my son monitor it. It worked flawlessly on the way home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Does anyone use the TM55c tpms on their travel trailer. I have seen it used on video demonstrations with a booster recommendation. My trailer is 24 feet long, so I wonder if I would need a booster. The reason I considered this model is because it is a TireMinder product and price. I really don't want to spend three to four hundred dollars right now. There again I want something that will give good info without losing signal.Any imputs?
my TM55c just arrived in the mail today, but wont get to use it for another two weeks. I only have a single axle 18' so i took a chance and didn't get the booster..time will tell.. more to come..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #28
Desert185

No booster required on the TST507. Save the grief and get the TST507RV. Works great.

Of course, if you enjoy grief...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #29
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Could have something to do with the annoying flashing numbers and ...... and ........
Regardless of type, glad to see the increased interest in TPMS. As stated previously a must have
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #30
Jeepshots

Just ordered TireMinder TM55c-B myself. No booster. Will try it and see on our next trip (next week). If i need a booster, i'll order it.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:32 AM   #31
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
Just ordered TireMinder TM55c-B myself. No booster. Will try it and see on our next trip (next week). If i need a booster, i'll order it.
keep us informed

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #32
Renoman

After reading the posts and online info I'm ordering a TST 507RV 4 with cap sensors for my 2012 Cougar 24RKSWE with rubber valve stems. Best price I found was from Vulcan Tire Sales. Thanks for the post and threads.

Art
Renoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #33
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoman View Post
After reading the posts and online info I'm ordering a TST 507RV 4 with cap sensors for my 2012 Cougar 24RKSWE with rubber valve stems. Best price I found was from Vulcan Tire Sales. Thanks for the post and threads.

Art
The Vulcan folks are nice, efficient in shipping and have an excellent price. I would really suggest that you go with metal valve stems to eliminate rubber stem flexing.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #34
Renoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
The Vulcan folks are nice, efficient in shipping and have an excellent price. I would really suggest that you go with metal valve stems to eliminate rubber stem flexing.
Thanks for the kudos for Vulcan, it's always assuring to hear since I have not dealt with them before. The valve stems...yes, I see what what you're referring to. I did notice it may cause some slight rubber stem flexing but the stems are close to the edge of the rim. Using extended metal stems may put them at risk of curb damage since the metal stems may need to be extended further for the cap sensors to clear the rim. I'll see what my options are when I get them.

Thanks,
Art
Renoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #35
Desert185

Quote:
Thanks for the kudos for Vulcan, it's always assuring to hear since I have not dealt with them before. The valve stems...yes, I see what what you're referring to. I did notice it may cause some slight rubber stem flexing but the stems are close to the edge of the rim. Using extended metal stems may put them at risk of curb damage since the metal stems may need to be extended further for the cap sensors to clear the rim. I'll see what my options are when I get them.

Thanks,
Art
Discount Tire in Carson City installed the metal stems when I bought the Maxxis tires. The metal stems are the same length as the original rubber stems. You don't want them to extend outward any more than they have to, and the stems do angle toward the center of the wheel, which keeps them away from curbs. Even so, I am extremely careful not to rub the tire sidewall on curbs. My policy is to replace the tire(s) if there is any serious evidence of that.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #36
Desert185

Quote:

Thanks,
Art
I was thinking that you have a new trailer with unbalanced tires. You might consider having Discount Tire (two in Reno) install metal stems and balance your tires.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #37
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooodog View Post
I forgot to mention that I would be getting the booster. Has anyone purchased the newer (Rhino Booster) compared to the other one (TMB-100)?
My TireMinder Smart TPMS comes with the Rhino Booster as part of the package. It's my first ever TPMS system, so I can't tell you whether it works better than the other booster or not.......but it does work.

The Rhino Booster is suppose to be weatherproof and made to install in an "outside" location. I guess I'm a bit fanatical though and bought a waterproof (O ring sealed) plastic box large enough for the booster to fit in, and mounted it in the box, and the box on the trailer "A arm" part of the frame. I also purchased a waterproof switch and mounted it on the plastic box so that I could turn the Booster off when not in use. I made sure that I used a plastic box vs. a metal box to insure that there was no additional metal around the booster that could possibly interfere with the signal transmitter ability. Of course, that and the receiver that is placed inside of the tow vehicle is on my "Checklist" for hooking up and getting ready to tow.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:41 AM   #38
nithaime

I initially had the tyredog system installed the external type and they are a PITA if you change pressure regularly and do have the security screw thingy installed, also the readings are ok. I also found that in heavier offraod driving (mud bulldust making own track stuff) the large sensors tended to get abused and thus I lost a couple.
Sooo I did a bit of research and ended up with the iawise TPMS2/6 https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-pressure-systems/ whch is the 6 wheel internal system. So far after a few trips Bendethera, Brindabellas and Darling river run they have performed very well. also have had a tyre change and I told the tyre people that the sensors where there so no issues occurred. (they actually thanked me for letting them know). I have run the 2 sensors wires behind my dash down along the front door sills and they come out near the back of the front seats. signal seems to have no issues and I find they seem to be more accurate.
nithaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #39
CWtheMan

Does your TPMS have a low pressure warning feature that can be manually set?

If so, at what pressure do you have it set at?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #40
Foust

Time for a progress report. The short story is that the internal TPMS and valve stems I purchased from TST did not fit on 2012 Sprinter steel wheels. I had a short time to test them and the pressure and temperature monitoring and display console worked great. Now I am waiting for the correct parts.

Here is the long story. Anyone wanting an internal TPMS for a 2012 or later Sprinter might want to read this.

I chose the Truck Systems Technologies (TST) 507 internal TPMS for my dually Sprinter. As explained in an earlier post, an internal system is best because it reads accurate temperatures, is not easily damaged, cannot be stolen, and with new valve stems it is easy to add air. I told TST I had a 2012 dually 3500 Sprinter and needed 2-inch valve stems. I installed in a couple of hours the receiver and repeater myself at home before leaving on a 2-month trip to Florida. Weather was bad in Indiana so I waited and found a truck tire place, Neece Tire and Auto Service, in Tallahassee, which listed TPMS on their web site. We were not expecting any problems so we waited patiently for 6 hours (!) while they installed them. Some of this time the mechanic helped others move around very large truck tires. The service advisor did not mention any problems. Towards the end I ventured past the “No customers beyond this point” sign to see what the mechanic was doing. He was very upset and frustrated saying that on every tire he installed the components as provided, then it leaked so he had to take it apart and substitute different parts. The nut would not fit on the valve stem so he was putting on a smaller nut that was very hard to tighten. I asked him to set the pressures to the label on the door, 54 front and 61 rear. He finally said they were all done and we could leave now.

We were hungry and it was late so we paid the $160 bill ($25 per tire plus tax) and left. The pressures being reported in the monitor were all very high, about 75 psi (which is near the max cold pressure written on the tire), so after eating I checked the pressures with a pressure gauge and indeed they were that high. The tire pressure gauge that the mechanic at Neece Tire used must have been wrong??? So I lowered them to about 5 over the pressures on the label (the tires were warm). The pressure monitor worked perfectly. The high-pressure alarms went off before I lowered them and afterwards all six tires reported the same pressure as the pressure I set them to.

Then the nightmare started. On the way to our campsite about 30 miles away, some of the tires started losing air. The front right went down from 60 to 40 in a few hours, so I jacked up that tire for the night since I was sure it would be completely flat in the morning and I did not want to damage the tire and I wanted to be able to inflate it with the 12V pump that Mercedes provides with the van.

At this point we figured that the Neece mechanic put so much pressure in the tires because they did not leak at that pressure or because it would be longer before they went flat. His pressure gauge would not be off by 20 psi.

I called Mike at TST and explained what happened. He seemed surprised and suggested I call the valve expert Bill “Borg” (Falkenborg) in California. Bill sighed and said TST must not know about the changes in Sprinter wheels mid-way through the 2012 model year. He knew right away that the valve stems that TST provides would not work. The nut on the valve stem needs to be on the inside for these wheels since there is no room for it on the outside. We needed special valve stems that he has developed and sells for $140. I am sure there are lots of posts about his valve stems for Sprinter duallys on this forum. The stems are chrome and are different for the front, rear inside, and rear outside. You can reach them easily to add air and they should work fine with an internal TPMS. If you want to rotate tires you can do it only right to left, but he said that if tires are balanced and aligned properly they do not need to be rotated. If they cause trouble or leak, Borg Equipment and Supply will pay any additional installation or repair costs. Bill said that installation should cost $20 +/- 5 and there should be no problems.

I called back Mike at TST and explained what Bill Borg had said. Mike said he would call Bill and call me back. He did and his solution was that he would pay for Borg’s valve stems but would not pay for their shipping and for my $160 first try expense, nor would he pay for the installation of the new ones. I accepted that since I feel partly to blame for letting the Neece mechanic work for 6 hours without proactive investigation.

In the morning I added air with the pump (the MBz pump took about 15 minutes for the flat tire and needed to cool before the next one). Then we headed back to Neece Tire and Auto Service and asked for the person in charge. Mr. Neece was very defensive and after a few minutes that seemed an eternity I was able to get some words in to tell him that we now realize that the parts we provided from TST were not the right ones. But why did they install them anyway when they all leaked? He said that they did not leak when we left and the pressures were so high because the gauge was defective. I had no way to prove he was wrong, but later I found out he was wrong when we overheard the mechanic say to a foreman that they were indeed leaking after he finished installing them. Mr. Neece said that they would put back regular rubber valve stems, give us back all our parts, and charge us $15 per tire for that work. I explained that I would report all this on the forums and he didn’t care. In the end the service manager did not charge us for removing the TPMS, but a refund of the original $160 was out of the question. Not to mention our time of about 12 hours counting the drive back from our campsite.

So Bill Borg shipped the new valve stems to our next address where we would be in a week. The valve stems looked good so I took them to a Sears’s auto center for installation. The foreman at Sears and I could not figure out how to install them (no directions were included) so I called Bill Borg. He asked me some questions about my wheels, which have round holes, and said that I have a 2012.5 Sprinter and he had sent me the wrong parts. I told him I would wait until I got home in March, a few weeks from now, and he said he would send the correct ones and pay the postage.

You are probably wondering, as my wife is, why I am going through all this hell just to be able to monitor the tire pressures and temperatures. I still think this is an important safety system and will be worth the trouble when this is all over. After all, it is so important that our government has required TPMS in all new 4-wheel vehicles and may soon require in all trucks. As I said above, except the leaking problems, the TST internal 507 TPMS worked perfectly and I will not change my mind on my choice of this system.
Foust is offline   Reply With Quote