Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #1
grampscamper

Dometic digital thermostat questions

I have a 2017 Passport Elite 19RB. Not sure if my thermostat is working properly. I have to set it at least 5 degrees higher than what I want the temperature to be. Blower starts first than the burner. Is this normal for the blower to start first?
The burner cycles for a short time then shuts off. The blower a little longer. Sometimes the burner stays on only a few seconds. If I set the thermostat a few degrees higher than I want the burner will stay on longer. Two of my heat registers are just below the thermostat but are directed away as much as possible.
Trailer is still under warranty for another month or so. Should I have someone look at it or does this sound normal?
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:46 AM   #2
notanlines

Gramps, you have what is called a sail switch integrated in your furnace so that the burner won't work unless there is current making the blower work. If the battery is very low and the blower won't go full force then the sail switch won't activate and you won't have any fire. That part is normal.
At least there is an answer to one of your questions.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

The fan running first then the burner is normal. The fan running after the burner shuts off is normal. What you don’t say is the inside temperature when you set the thermostat for heat. It sounds as if you are setting it just above the inside temperature to get it to call for heat. If that’s the case and the register is very close to the thermostat then it will run only briefly. Try setting the thermostat 10 den higher and see what happens. I don’t know how close is close but 2 registers close to the thermostat will effect the thermostat even directed away, het rises. Hope this helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #4
Frank G

The provided thermostats are highly inaccurate IMHO. We have a couple of other thermometers set around the unit on interior walls and use them for reference and set the HVAC to something that keeps us comfortable, about 5deg. high.

Remember, in the world of HVAC the smaller the space the harder it is to maintain a constant temperature and the wider the temperature swings. This is especially true with inferrior equipment and poorly insulated spaces.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
grampscamper

It is a small trailer. If I want it to be 70 I have to set it at 75. What I don’t understand is sometimes the burner will only run for 4 or 5 seconds. I wouldn’t think that would be long enough to trigger the thermostat to shut off. I guess it is. If I set it 10 degrees higher than the inside temperature it does run for a few minutes. The thermostat is definitely out by at least 5 degrees.
Sounds like this is normal.
Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic