Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
It's a small piece of metal attached to a hinged metal arm that trips a microswitch. It's located in the input air tube before the combustion chamber. If the switch doesn't engage the microswitch, there is not enough air flow for safe combustion. It's also a favorite place for mud dauber nests if you don't have screens.

Ron
Thanks for the explanation. Now I get it.

I'm still in California and leave for NJ tomorrow.
My Brother-in-Law, who lives next door to me has been great, watching for my property and RV. He has been staying at his house in the cold. Brrrrrrrr!
He called this morning to say the power was back on. He was gitty with happiness. It is the most emotion I've heard from him in a long time. Must have been tough without power.

Thanks again Ron.

Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
piperpilot

New to Fifth Wheel RVIng...heck to rving in general....I gather the furnace will run on just the battery....how long?
piperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #23
Festus2
Site Team

How long your furnace will keep running on battery depends upon a number of things: a)How often the furnace/fan is coming on to maintain whatever temperature it has been set at. b)The condition of your battery and whether or not it is being charged at all- by some external means. c) The type of battery system you have (6volts vs 12 volts) and d) the type/size of the batteries.
It's hard to give a length of time when there are so many variables.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
geo

To add to Festus2's answer - Yes, the furnace runs only on 12VDC, whether from the batteries or the converter. The furnace is not 120VAC (unless you have Cheap Heat add-on, but then you still need 12VDC for controls and fan).

Phil - I'm very glad your BIL is safe! We have yet to hear from a friend in Manhattan. If you need a Suburban manual, send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a pdf file of the manual. You might want to look at the exploded diagram to visualize everyone's suggestions.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #25
gduff

We had a similar experience with our 2007 Cougar. (Since traded) Stove worked, hot water heater worked but was very slow to heat. Turned out to be the red regulating valve near the driver’s side tank. They said the diaphragm dried out. We replaced and it worked fine.
gduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
jerseyphil

JUST TESTED the SYSTEM

Problem was simply the battery. It had no charge left. It is Tuesday here in central NJ.

I put a charger on the battery, waited awhile, and then, with the charger still attached, I successfully fired up the furnace..... with the Slides IN.

I did see that carpet from the slides covered part of three registers, but the furnace still fired up. So, to be safe, I didn't run the furnace long, just long enough to feel plenty of heat coming up.

Thanks again one and all.

PS. I was extremely lucky regarding trees falling. Behind my house is woods. TWO Massive trees fell, and two very large trees fell. One tree just missed my shed, and another is just touching the side of my house, but no damage to the house.... just the garden areas around it.

AND the RV wasn't touched at all!!

I hope all our fellow forum friends are OK. Good Luck to all of you.

Regards,
Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #27
SAABDOCTOR

hi geo will add your friendto our pryer list. new york city is still a mess. my dw teaches in rye new york which is next town over. telephone land lines and cell towers are still out. i would bet your friend is ok just cold and hungry. my town got power back on saturday. it is a mess here . let us know when you here from him Barney
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
hi geo will add your friendto our pryer list. new york city is still a mess. my dw teaches in rye new york which is next town over. telephone land lines and cell towers are still out. i would bet your friend is ok just cold and hungry. my town got power back on saturday. it is a mess here . let us know when you here from him Barney
Barney -

We heard from her this afternoon. She and her hubby have been staying with some friends that have power, but are back in their apartment now. No heat and no electricity yet, so back to their friends tonight. She said it is/was a mess, but not as bad as what the media is making it out to be. And their pup is OK!

Thanks for asking!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote