Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
sandy43

Trailer Brake Dust Cover?

Newer trailer brakes tend to produce lots of carbon like dust from the brake drum. It's obvious to see on wheels and wheel wells. This is becoming a problem for me, because it blowing up on the underside of the slides and eventually getting on the carpet when slides are extended.

Has anyone seen this happen to their RV?

I've been told they make a brake dust cover that goes between hub and wheel, which can eliminate most of the dust from getting on wheels and hopefully the under side of your trailer. This is new to me. Anyone try this or heard of these?

Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you Google Trailer Brake Dust Cover, you will find numerous hits of sites advertising and selling this particular product. I've never used or seen them but your friend Google has everything you want to know about these dust covers.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
chuck&gail

PLEASE do NOT use those covers if you drive in any mountains. They keep the heat in and make the brakes fade REALLY EARLY. Brake fade is NOT fun.

If you want, take a run without them down a hill, braking as usual. Feel hubs at bottom. Now install dust covers and do hill again. Be VERY careful touching the hubs this time, because if they are like mine were you will burn your hand.

Me, I'd rather have the dust. Why not just find the air leak that lets dust get inside TT? Maybe I do not understand. Bottom of my slide is INSIDE the TT when traveling. How does dust get on it unless seals are bad?
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
mhs4771

That's what I was thinking, How is the dust getting in there. That means if dust can get in, so will water if your traveling and the roads are wet. Looks like some investigation is in order to find the source of the leakage.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
Bushman512000

brake dust?

I would think Your brake's maybe set to high? If so try to let them off a bit.Just a thought watch the dust and stopping power.Good luck Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
sandy43

You folks are right. I need to do more investigation. When slides are in I can't see how dust can be there. I have no leaks or opening of any type, appears to be air tight. The brakes are doing just fine, adjusted the way I like them. I'm beginning to think that when I washed the RV with slides out, maybe got some of the dust on the underside and possibly it caked some how, not sure. I cleaned the carpets, ran the slides in and out several times and everything is ok so far. I can't figure out how that happened.

Reference brake dust covers. my mechanic also said stay away from those things, because of excessive heat.

If it happens again, I'll just clean the carpets, go on down the road, and be a Happy Camper. Thanks for everyone's reply.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote