Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
sandy43

Slides in, stay off them. WHY?

Read several post here about not putting weight on slides while in (closed).

I've done this for years during strong winds, heavy snow, or whatever nature has to offer. We pull them in, sit on the couch or go to bed till the weather clears and have never ever had a problem for many years.

Where did this info come from? Everyone I know or travel with does the same as I do and has for years. These slide rails are built for lots of weight. I don't think an extra 2 or 3 hundred pounds will make much difference.

I'm don't want to debate the issue, just wondering where this concept come from. Am I missing something I should know? Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Sandy -
Keystone actually recommends that you do not walk on the slide floor when the slide is in. When retracted, the slide floor actually rides up and does not sit flush with the main floor. You could say that it is partially suspended and does not have any support while it is in. Consequently, the only support that the slide floor has is that offered by the two sides - there is virtually no support underneath.

You might want to check to see if there is a space or gap between the main floor and the slide floor when your slide is in.

If enough weight were put on the floor while retracted, it could possibly tear the floor out of the side walls.
Many people, including myself, were not aware of this until this topic became more widely known and discussed. There are probably lots of campers who walk on the floor or sit at the table/couch without anything happening. However, there is a possibility of damage being done, hence the warning.
We now avoid walking on the floor or sitting at the table when the slide is in.

Hope this sheds some light on the topic.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
Where did this info come from?
It's in your Owners Manual, Ch 10
http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/man...ual_2013_E.pdf

The first time I recall that we were cautioned, about the slide-outs, was in 2005 (by a Forest River dealer)...
so it's not necessarily a recent concern, nor specific to Keystone.
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Sandy -
Keystone actually recommends that you do not walk on the slide floor when the slide is in. When retracted, the slide floor actually rides up and does not sit flush with the main floor. You could say that it is partially suspended and does not have any support while it is in. Consequently, the only support that the slide floor has is that offered by the two sides - there is virtually no support underneath.

You might want to check to see if there is a space or gap between the main floor and the slide floor when your slide is in.

If enough weight were put on the floor while retracted, it could possibly tear the floor out of the side walls.
Many people, including myself, were not aware of this until this topic became more widely known and discussed. There are probably lots of campers who walk on the floor or sit at the table/couch without anything happening. However, there is a possibility of damage being done, hence the warning.
We now avoid walking on the floor or sitting at the table when the slide is in.

Hope this sheds some light on the topic.
X2

If you don't break the floor loose at the walls, you may induce a curvature in the middle of the floor, and if you do, that curvature may drag on the carpet/vinyl flooring and cause premature wear marking or the constant flexing of the flooring (if there is a gap) can cause the plywood to eventually start to delam. Lots of reasons not to have the floor flexing. The two living room slides in our 318SAB are off the floor (unsupported) by almost an inch when fully in. The bedroom slide (bed) is not subject to that as it (the bed) is supported at the foot, by the rollers, and at the head, the attachment point is the outside wall, and should be usable open or closed; as at a rest stop. Had the "curve" wear problem happen to a friend of mine...turns out that he spends a lot his "travel" time in Walmart parking lots. He kept his slides in and used the dinette all evening and after a couple of years noticed a wear groove in the vinyl flooring when the slide was out...sure enough, the floor had sagged to the point that it dragged going in and out on the floor...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Don -
You've raised another interesting point about the curvature or bend in the floor that might result over a period of time and the damage it may cause. Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
jol

Wow that is interesting almost makes you want to take sofa, table or whatever else is in the slide, gosh my kitchen is on a slide.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
beer breath

I am curious about slides in Class A or C motorhomes. When those slide are in, passengers sit on the dinettes and couches all the time. They must be built sturdier.
beer breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
randy69

slide storage

I was wondering on our slideout, Kitchen table and 2 bench chairs with storage underneath. Thats were we keep the extra cases of water,soda and beer. There is also a sofa bed on that slide out too. The slideout is all electric. I wonder if I'am taking a big chance for problems? Never had any in 2.5 years.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
KJcachers

We have the kitchen and sofa on our slide. No floor extends into the living space. Pretty sure we will be using the sofa if needed when we turtle while traveling.