Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Toni_lynn

Hot Skin

I have a 2017 Outback 324CG that has shocked me on numerous occasions. Every time I have been shocked, the camper was plugged in to an outlet (not generator)with surge protector in place. In most cases I am connecting the sway bar to the truck. I was holding the bar, standing in sandals, and my knee touched the tongue of the camper (I've been shocked several times like this), and another instance I was washing it (barefoot) and stuck a key into the lock on the garage door and got zapped. The shocks are not light shocks but shock me so hard my teeth hurt and my joints hurt. I'm so nervous every time I need to hook it up. I assume I'm grounding myself out, which I think has to mean there is a faulty ground wire somewhere. I had camping world check it out and they told me it was the surge protector malfunctioning, so I called the manufacturer of the surge protector and was laughed at saying it wouldn't cause a hot skin problem but sounds like a wiring problem in the camper. Sooo do I trust camping world or the surge protector manufacturer? It is still under warranty.. maybe lazy mechanics? or baffled mechanics? who needed to put an answer to my question? I'm so lost. I race motocross and season is picking up- I will be hauling soon and would like to try to have this problem resolved, just not sure how to go about it.
Toni_lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You have a wiring problem. It may be that you have a loose neutral "somewhere" and on that circuit the electricity is using the ground as a return. Yes, it is dangerous and it's not your EMS/surge protector that is causing the problem. I'd urge you to find a competent RV electrician and have him inspect your trailer. Yes, it is covered under warranty, but more important than who pays for it is that it's properly repaired before someone gets seriously injured. If CW can repair it, that's great, but if they can't, then you need to find someone to repair it properly. This is not something to argue with Keystone and in the meantime have someone get hurt or killed by touching your trailer when conditions might be ideal for an accident.....

I would imagine that you're positive the electrical plug that you're plugging your shore power cable into is phased properly since you have an EMS. If you have "only a surge protector" that does not check polarity/phasing, then I'd urge you to have the plug wiring on your home checked "just to be sure" however if the problem is happening when plugged into more outlets than just that one, it's likely not the house wiring. But I'd urge you to be sure.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
Toni_lynn

I appreciate your response! My husband has not been shocked yet and is hesitant to believe me. I am the one that fools with it more, and he does not wear sandals or walk around barefoot like I do.. but anyway, electricity is nothing to play and round with for sure, I am so gun shy to even touch it anymore. And camping world taped my surge protector up and wrote in big letters on it, BAD DO NOT USE. I may contact camping world again to see what they say and if it gets me no where will find someone who can actually handle the problem. I'm in Chattanooga so I may have to look around to find someone.

As far as knowing about my house wiring I have no clue unfortunately.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Your surge protector just passes your electricity through but monitors the various elements of the power. I does not cause "hot skin" on the trailer. Your AC comes into the protector and then goes on to the trailer; the protector has nothing to do with what's going on in the trailer...if installed properly (fixed mount). An EMS plugged in outside does not have any influence on your trailer frame. It sounds for sure like you have a wiring issue in the trailer. If your dealer is adamant that there is no problem, and they're sure, take it to them, place it on open ground, soak the ground with water and have the service manager come out and grab the trailer standing in the water with bare feet. He'll either "light up" and see the light or there won't be an issue. Here's to hoping you get it fixed.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
bobbecky

It is very possible that there is an open ground inside the surge protector, and that is why CW tagged it BAD. It would be great if you had a good volt meter, and with the rig plugged into a power source without the surge protector, check for voltage between the frame of the trailer and the ground (dirt ). This is exactly what you are doing with your body. You might do it with the surge protector first, then again with out the surge protector. If you get the same results, then you have a bad power cable or a ground connection within the rig open. Be careful to not make a connection to the ground with your body when checking for voltage until you resolve this problem. If you are not comfortable doing this, be sure to get an electrician to test this, unless you get lucky and can find an RV tech that understands what is going on and knows what he is doing with electricity.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:48 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I would suggest purchasing an outlet tester. They can be acquired for under $10 at any big box store. First plug it into the outlet you are using (you may need an adapter, under $10) if that checks out ok then plug in the trailer and check an outlet in the trailer. If the outlet in the trailer is bad then it's the camper. To further isolate the camper will require a competent tech or electrician. If this is in warranty why didn't CW replace the ems??
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
Toni_lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I would suggest purchasing an outlet tester. They can be acquired for under $10 at any big box store. First plug it into the outlet you are using (you may need an adapter, under $10) if that checks out ok then plug in the trailer and check an outlet in the trailer. If the outlet in the trailer is bad then it's the camper. To further isolate the camper will require a competent tech or electrician. If this is in warranty why didn't CW replace the ems??
CW said the problem wasn't the surge protector and the surge protector was bought after the purchase of the camper, they would not exchange it for me and told me to call the manufacturer. Which I did and the manufacturer told me it couldn't cause a hot skin. So..
Old 03-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni_lynn View Post
CW said the problem wasn't the surge protector and the surge protector was bought after the purchase of the camper, they would not exchange it for me and told me to call the manufacturer. Which I did and the manufacturer told me it couldn't cause a hot skin. So..
OK, is the surge protector plugged into the umbilical or hardwired? If it's a plug in style then use the tester on the end of the surge protector when plugged into the outlet. If hardwired then test as per my previous post. Do you have the make/model of the surge protector that you can share?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #9
Bostongone

Are you plugged into your house wiring at this time or at a campground? If house wiring I assume that you are NOT connected to a GFCI outlet (Ground Fault protected outlet). If you can find one that you can plug into I have to believe that it will not stay on and will keep on tripping. This would be good and a step toward fixing this. Also do you have 30 or 50 amp electrical on the trailer?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni_lynn View Post
I have a 2017 Outback 324CG that has shocked me on numerous occasions. Every time I have been shocked, the camper was plugged in to an outlet (not generator)with surge protector in place.
Here is a link to an excellent article on how to prevent hot skin conditions. Mike Sokol is an expert on RV electrical safety.

http://rvtravel.com/no-shock-zone-pa...kin-condition/

Hope this helps.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote