Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
mj5150

2017 Raptor furnace maintenance?

I haven't given much thought to the furnace in our Raptor, the 412TS model. We bought it new in May of 2017.
With all the cold weather, it's been working more than normal the last two months.
I'm fairly certain the unit is up in the front under the stairs leading to the bedroom since there is a discharge just to eh right of the front door that gets blazing hot when the furnace is on.
Am I right, is it under the stairs?
From what I can tell, there is no filter on the furnace. That is surprising.
Has anyone added a filter to help with air quality coming in to the unit?
What kind of maintenance do y'all do to your furnaces?

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
mikz86ta

On our Fuzion 420, it is same general area but in kitchen next to the oven. Basically there's a vented front on the cabinetry. It's a large space inside and you barely can see in there to it. If we disassemble the understorage walls, the stock sub woofer and water pump are in the same area. Technically the understorage and main coach are conjoined.
In your case, you may have better access dismantle the understorage walls behind it. Just a suggestion.

As for maintenance, I'm not sure myself. Ours got used in South Florida this year maybe 3-4 X's. I'm curious tho
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
Tinner12002

Interesting, I'll check mine to see if it has one.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Do not add a filter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Do not add a filter.
Why is that, even a thinner inexpensive filter would be better than nothing I would think. It could cause the furnace motor to pull slightly extra amperage but other than that how will it hurt...just asking not arguing?
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

RV furnaces depend on airflow to operate properly. If you look at any of the manufacturers sites, you’ll find they say not to restrict return airflow at all. I don’t have the figures but there is a minimum CFM in the specs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

This is found in the Atwood Furnace Service Manual:

"RETURN AIR
The return air passage should be clean and clear of obstructions and meet the minimum square inches as specified in the installation instructions. Make sure
combustibles are not stored in the furnace compartment. Filters are not recommended at these air passages."

Suburban states essentially the same and follows with an exclusion in their warranty:

SUBURBAN WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
4. Failure to start and/or operate due to loose or disconnected wires; water or dirt in controls, fuel lines and gas tanks; restriction or alteration of return air circulation; low voltage."

If you look at the actual construction of the furnace cabinet (metal box) there are multiple air intake slots on three sides. Most (not all) RV furnace installations are under the stairs (fifth wheels) or under the refrigerator (travel trailers and some fifth wheels). These areas are open not only from the visible air grate but from other areas. Under stair installs typically are also open to the area behind the furnace. This is usually the "blocked off plumbing area" and the front passthrough area. The passthrough on most fifth wheels is only "closed off" by a partial wall which is open at the top. On travel trailers with the furnace under the refrigerator, there's typically a vent grill mounted under the refrigerator and the areas under the adjoining cabinets are also open to the furnace.

The function of these "extra openings" is to assure that there is sufficient return air to the furnace in the event that someone or something (maybe a large pet) that is placed next to the return air grill. Any filter placed on the grill under the steps or under the refrigerator will only "filter a part of the return air" Restrictions caused by dirty filters could be dangerous except for all of that "other return air" that's not filtered. Modifying the one source of return air typically is an exercise in "feel good maintenance" since it's typically less than half the return air that flows into the three sides of the furnace cabinet.

YMMV...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
travelin texans

Not to mention they pull air from lots of areas so it would be near impossible to filter all the spots unles you wrapped the furnace.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
DMK

I bought some furnace vent filters from home depot and put them in each of the floor vents in my 2013 300mp. They work great and keep debris from falling in the ventilation passages too. I usually change them out every 60 days or so. (Never really thought about restricting airflow, although I have been following good weather and use my furnace very little these days. I may need to rethink using those, they sure do keep the vent passages cleaner though).

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
rcmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj5150 View Post
I haven't given much thought to the furnace in our Raptor, the 412TS model. We bought it new in May of 2017.
With all the cold weather, it's been working more than normal the last two months.
I'm fairly certain the unit is up in the front under the stairs leading to the bedroom since there is a discharge just to eh right of the front door that gets blazing hot when the furnace is on.
Am I right, is it under the stairs?
From what I can tell, there is no filter on the furnace. That is surprising.
Has anyone added a filter to help with air quality coming in to the unit?
What kind of maintenance do y'all do to your furnaces?

-Mike
On my 17 398 the furnace is to the right of entry door like on your model. You are correct it sits under the stairs. If you take those two panels under each stair you can see the furnace a little better. Just so you know only about 4 screws on that panel between the furnace and your storage area door that's beside it. Its a snap to get to. I have not done any maintence to mine since I have owned the trailer (1-17) It works like a Champ!! No filters for me, Id be to scared that it would catch on fire. It get hot down by the furnace while running.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I bought some furnace vent filters from home depot and put them in each of the floor vents in my 2013 300mp. They work great and keep debris from falling in the ventilation passages too. I usually change them out every 60 days or so. (Never really thought about restricting airflow, although I have been following good weather and use my furnace very little these days. I may need to rethink using those, they sure do keep the vent passages cleaner though).
I don't think your set up would be a problem. I think the no filter due to airflow restriction mentioned was filters before the air intake like in your home.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, maintenance, raptor